King Charles Spaniel Puppy Worming?

Old October 4th 06, 10:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.pets.dogs,alt.animals.dog
Tony

Default King Charles Spaniel Puppy Worming?

Dear All,

I hope I have chosen the correct place to ask this question. I have
recently taken on a King Charles Cavalier Puppy that is 12 weeks old. He
has had all his boosters etc, and I understand he has had the necessary
worming treatment to date, but I have been advised to contact a vet to
continue this worming on a monthly basis. I would (if possible) much prefer
to do this worming procedure myself, and I understand it goes on the weight
of the puppy. Could anyone offer any advice on this and could I buy a
decent worming treatment over the counter in the UK (at Pet At Home) or
other outlet? I prefer not to make regular visits to a vet if it is not
neccessary to have to do so (mainly because the nearest vet is a
considerable distance and not open at times that suit my current situation).
More importantly I would prefer to do any things I can do myself, by myself
rather than relying on others to do the job.

Advice on the worming procedure would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Tony

Old October 4th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.pets.dogs,alt.animals.dog
Shadow Walker

I'm not sure about the UK but here in the USA and any were else I know that
gives preventative shots this is the puppy shot schedule. Looks like you
will need to go to the vet again and get the 3rd set of shots. They usually
worm them when you take them in for shots and most of the wormers you
actually need to get rid of or prevent nasty worms a vet has a license to
administer. Puppies are a big responsibility if I were you I would read
everything you can find and most of all be looking for a vet you like. If
your puppy gets sick you can not just give it medication for people that's
dangerous.

6-8 weeks..........First set puppy shots (DHLPP) +Corona

11-12 weeks......Second set puppy shots (DHLPP) +Corona

15-16 weeks......Third set puppy shots (DHLPP) +Corona

over 4 months....Rabies and start heart worm prevention

Old October 6th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.pets.dogs,alt.animals.dog
Geoff

"Shadow Walker" wrote in message
[...]

In my day dogs were treated for worms with tablets added to food. You only
knew the dog was affected by worms when the dog was eating regularly but
losing body weight. I'm sure in this day and age that is probably outdated,
but many of my dogs never had any wormng treatment after initial boosters
and lived to a good age. I think this modern approach is an attempt by some
vets to pocket a fortune in preventing something that most likely will never
happen.

Geoff

Old October 6th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.pets.dogs,alt.animals.dog
Shadow Walker

Their are wormers that you can buy that are not through the vet. They
usually do not cover the range of worms the stuff the vet gives also they
require more to be treatments to be affective. After you finish buying and
administering them you could have just vetted the animal and not paid
anymore and less time to do it. I live in the country here and get vet
treatments really cheap compared to what I pay for all the other stuff.

I'll be taking three dogs into the vet for yearly exams, shots, worming and
the such Saturday. I don not expect to pay more than $160 for all three.
Most vets charge that or more for just one animal.

Old October 6th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.pets.dogs,alt.animals.dog
Cavaliers

Hi Tony,
We have a 11.1/2 and a 2 yr old Cavalier King Charles spaniels. They both
received the necessary de-worming treatment when they were puppies by the
vet and me (with pills) on the appropriate schedule. I do not deworm them
as a general rule, either of them. Are you planning to de-worm for ever
then?

A couple of summers ago I noticed worms in the older dogs faeces and so got
some pills from the vet which were I used over a three month period. I
haven't de-wormed either dog since. I try to watch what they're sniffing
though much more closely.

I'm not sure OTC pills are strong enough and I agree with Geoff I don't
think it's necessary to continually de-work a dog (or a cat). If you see
worms in the faeces that's a different matter, perhaps you vet would supply
pills so you could administer them yourself.

My dogs get an annual check up and the appropriate annual shots, plus one
three year renewal for rabies. Your puppy's protocol for rabies shots will
be different. I think it gets its first rabies at 16 weeks

Have fun with your puppy and keep in touch with me or email me if you like.
Diana

Old October 7th 06, 08:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.pets.dogs,alt.animals.dog
[email protected]

Hi Tony,

Naturally you need to be sure you have completed all the booster etc
with the vet.

And Although you might save a little money and time the very best
treatments tend to Offered by Vets.

However at the risk of tide of cynical comments coming my way I have
found a Web site that might offer you Some Vet advice and supply you
with worming tablets, they have worming treatments specifically for
Puppies from ( as far as I can see) 3 manufacturers.

There is also an online Vet who will answer questions and if the vet is
not online you simply email.

The site is www.pets2home.co.uk

Hope this helps

Terry

Old October 7th 06, 09:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.pets.dogs,alt.animals.dog
Tony

Thanks indeed to everyone for their help on this. The reason I posted here
was to try and clarify what course of action I need to take (if any) for
standard protection that most people would choose to have for their puppy.

The dog has currently had a his 8 week injection and the second one at 12
weeks (I have a vet card to confirm these). These were done by the person I
bought the dog from (at the other side of the UK over 200 miles away from
me) so I need to find a local vet to register with obviously. I now want
to know what injections etc he needs to have in the next 12 months and
worming was the only things mentioned by the seller/breeder.

There was no mention of him needing any further injections at all (when I
queried the seller/breeder), although this might be incorrect. I clearly
remember the seller saying he has had all his required innoculations, so all
you need to do now is worm him if needed. I queried this and was told that
worming treatment goes on the weight of the puppy. I was also told of a
worming treatment that is given by adding a creme at the back of his neck?
(Doesn't sound right to me that one?) Has anyone heard of this?

I am not unhappy taking him to a vet, but don't want to use a vet for things
I could do myself, or for unneccessary treatments. I was also advised by a
neighbour (in the next village) that he didn't believe that constant worming
would be neccessary and I didn't need to do anything else with a vet at
present in his opinion.

Is worming a preventive treatment, or do all dogs have worms when they are
born and need to be treated for them? I am new to having a dog, but have
had several cats over a 20 year period, none of which I ever had to treat
for worms.

Is there anything I need to know to try and prevent the dog getting worms?
How do they get worms in the first place and is there any areas to avoid
when walking etc) that would help prevent worms?

The puppy appears to be in extremely good health right now and was given a
thumbs up at the vet prior to me buying him in Brighton (southern England).
He now lives with me in North Yorkshire (quite a long drive to get him home
I know).

Thanks a lot to everyone. Any further comments would be apprecaited if you
would like to comment further on this, now I have given you a bit more
information.

Tony

Old October 7th 06, 11:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Tony" wrote in message
Is worming a preventive treatment, or do all dogs have worms when they are
born and need to be treated for them?

............all dogs are born with roundworms and need to be treated.

.........I think you should go to a vet and ask all of your questions.

buglady
take out the dog before replying