Badly behaved puppy...help!

Old October 5th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
JW

Default Badly behaved puppy...help!

Hi everyone,

We recently adopted a new dog, who is a rescue dog and we are having a
few problems with her. She was 5 months old when we got her and is now
7 months old. Each time we leave her alone, she rips up the house,
ripping up the bed in the kitchen (where we have to shut them in now
when we leave them alone), pulling the stuffing out of the bedding,
ripping up books and magazines etc and chewing up shoes.
This happened with our other dog (who is fine now) because of
seperation anxiety. He was a mess and we crate trained him and it
solved everything. We still have the crate, which stays open all of the
time and we haven't had to shut him in there in over 2 years.
We REALLY do not want to have to crate train her as well because it's
tough to leave them both in the kitchen with her locked in the crate
and him able to walk freely in the house - we don't think that's fair.
We would love some other techniques or suggestions on how we can stop
this destructive behavior without using the crate.
We have left toys filled with treats that they both take a lot of time
to figure out, we have left a lot of toys to play with, many things for
them to do and she still is being destructive...help! Thanks so much!

Old October 5th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 4 Oct 2006 18:36:20 -0700, "JW" , clicked their
heels and said:

We REALLY do not want to have to crate train her as well because it's
tough to leave them both in the kitchen with her locked in the crate
and him able to walk freely in the house - we don't think that's fair.
We would love some other techniques or suggestions on how we can stop
this destructive behavior without using the crate.
We have left toys filled with treats that they both take a lot of time
to figure out, we have left a lot of toys to play with, many things for
them to do and she still is being destructive...help! Thanks so much!

Sorry - right now, the answer is the crate. The more you allow her
behavior to continue, the more reinforcement it gets.

--
Janet Boss
Old October 5th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

"JW" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

We REALLY do not want to have to crate train her as well
because it's tough to leave them both in the kitchen with
her locked in the crate and him able to walk freely in the
house - we don't think that's fair.

You're thinking like a human, which is understandable.

Reconsider crate training. You want to decrease your new dog's
anxiety - having her own place will go a fair way to achieving
this.

Old October 5th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy

in thread oups.com: "JW"
whittled the following words:

We REALLY do not want to have to crate train her as well because it's
tough to leave them both in the kitchen with her locked in the crate
and him able to walk freely in the house - we don't think that's fair.
We would love some other techniques or suggestions on how we can stop
this destructive behavior without using the crate.
We have left toys filled with treats that they both take a lot of time
to figure out, we have left a lot of toys to play with, many things for
them to do and she still is being destructive...help! Thanks so much!

The dogs that earn my trust, earn their freedom.Tuck knows I adore him,
but I know he runs to a phone booth the instant I walk out the door, and
zaps into his deep voice DOCTOR DESTRUCTO!!!!!! SUPER VILLAN! costume
and gets to work.
Reka had earned her way out of the crate at 4 months old (much to her
dismay, she liked the safety of her Den, and to this day still seeks a den,
by sleeping in the bathtub. ) Tuck, at 9 months old, must be watched, or
crated. I don't think he takes it personally, and certainly lays in the
crate quietly, while Reka has free roam of the house. I know he's safe when
I leave him crated. In fact, when I went away for a weekend a couple of
weeks ago, I put him in a boarding kennel (instead of my parents who begged
to take him rather boarding him) because I knew they wouldn't watch him as
closely as he needs, and I knew in a kennel, he would be alive and well
when I returned. He could get over any hurt feelings. If I left him with
mom and dad, anything could have happened, and I'm sure none of them good.
Reka stayed with mom and Dad and was an angel. No, I had a miserable
weekend knowing he was kenneled. I finished my business and came home early
so I could spring him.

I kennel him because he MUST earn my trust and respect. He has not. It's
not practical to put everything up out of his reach, because he opens
cupboards, drawers, and doors. The more innaccessable I make something, the
more certain the little treasure hunting devil will find it.
The way I see it, I could leave him outside (not a considered option),
Build him a concrete bare puppy-proof room (not practical), crate him, or
just accept that he's going to do damage if I won't contain him (bad idea)
That leaves the crate option. And he doesn't seem to mind. He is not
thinking fair or unfair.