picking the right dog

Old October 6th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
ChristyLynn

Default picking the right dog

I plan on going to a shelter this weekend to hopefully pick a new dog as a
pet. Our dog died not long ago and we really miss having one around. We
would like to find a dog that is medium to large size, mellow, quiet (not an
excessive barker), and (ha!) good with cats and also essentially a good
listener, is not high strung so it won't destroy furniture, etc.

I thought that there had been a website that helped you pick for your "dog
personality", but I tried searching to no avail. You plugged in "mellow,
quiet, good with other pets, easily trained, obedient" and other things that
you are looking for, and it spit out suggestion for your ideal breeds.

Anyone know if a site like this still exists? Our last dog was an English
Springer Spaniel, adopted at approx. age 5 and she was just the ideal dog.
If we can find another of the same breed we would adopt it in a heartbeat,
but if not, we'd like to know what other dogs are good picks.

Old October 6th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Gary

HI ChristyLynn: I read your post. In fact, I am a brand new member and
this is the first newsgroup I have ever visited and first response I
have ever typed. If I am doing something wrong, would someone please
e-mail me at [email protected] and tell kindly tell me (emphasis on the
kindly okay).

My readers are always asking me about new pets and what to get. The
first thing I tell them is to be sure that they are ready for a new
pet. Often someone will rush out thinking they will gain some relief
from their grief by getting a new best buddy, only to find that they
then feel they hae betrayed their departed friend. The one who then
suffers the most is the new pet.

Certainly there is no reason to feel that way, because when people go
to a shelter as you are (and I very much commend you for that) they are
rescuing another wonderful pesonality from a hard life or even death.
I tell them that insted of betraying their departed friend, they are
honoring him/her by rescuing one of their own kind in their honor.

All that said, if you are ready, then I recommend you get retriever or
lab - the former seem to settle down quickly in a home and are not
hyper or very noisey (of course hopefully they will make some noise
when unknown people come around) - but largely they are just big,
mellow, goofy, children-loving personalities. Moreover, with the
thousands of readers who write to me, I have learned that retrievers,
especially the larger ones, account for more rescues of their humans
than most other breeds.

In any event, I think you know that whatever type you get, they will
give you unlimited love and devotion and that is perhaps the most
important quality of any pet.

I wish you well in your quest.

Gary Kurz

Old October 8th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Kyler Laird

"ChristyLynn" writes:

I plan on going to a shelter this weekend to hopefully pick a new dog
as a pet. Our dog died not long ago and we really miss having one around.

Off the subject a bit but...have you considered being a foster home?
http://www.springerrescue.org/join/foster.html
It's a great way to get a dog in the house quickly without making a
long-term commitment. This would give you a chance to meet lots of dogs
and find one (or more!) that's perfect for you. It's *so* much better
than going to the shelter and hoping to find the perfect match on a
given weekend.

The experience you had with your own ESS would be valuable in helping
foster dogs become more adoptable. Whether you adopt or not, you'd do a
great service to these dogs and likely have fun doing it.

--kyler
Old October 11th 06, 12:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
n briggs

The other poster was very correct about Retrievers--Goldens are more mellow
than Labs--the downside to owning a Golden is they are very people
oriented--they just cant be left outside--they will be miserable--but this
is true for more dogs actually. There is a reason that Goldens are one of
the number one service dogs, along with labs and GSDs.

You can find most of your local rescue groups on www.petfinder.com
Just read some about the breed before you adopt.

Fostering a dog is also a wonderful way to not only contribute but find the
dog that just calls your name.

Good luck! Keep us posted!