is virus serious

Old October 5th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
weinermom

Default is virus serious

We have two dachshunds, 4 yrs. and 18 mos. Early this week the older
dog began very frequent fits of sneezing and reverse sneezing. I took
him to the vet who said the symptoms did not look like kennel cough,
his vitals signs were good, temp. a bit low (99). She guessed either
allergies or a virus, and suggested Benadryl.
The same day the younger dog began having the same symptoms - frequent
sneezing and reverse sneezing. They blow clear fluid drops out of their
noses. Their eyes are clear, appetitites and digestion fine, but both a
little low on energy. The Benadryl has had no effect on the frequency
of sneezing.
My question is based on the assumption it is a virus: what is a 'cold
virus' in a dog? - how long does it last? is it necessary to treat?
what to look out for?
The dogs are very active (hike 10-15 miles/week) and have a good diet.
They do dig a lot, eat things off the ground and especially rodents,
dead or alive, that they find.

THANKS for any help!

Old October 5th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy

in thread oups.com:
"weinermom" whittled the following words:

[...]

If it's kennel cough,as long as no secondary infection is present, no
treatment is needed. If it's Canine Flu, it probably should be looked at.
IF scent is an important part of your dog's lifestyle, it's commonly
thought inmany circles (except apparently "here" FWIW) that Kennel cough
has the ability to permanently impair scent acuity
If scent acuity is a partofthe important events that you participate with
your dogs and it's kennel cough (Presuming.. because you didn't say) it
will probably pass uneventfully in about 2 weeks.
Old October 6th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

what is 'dog flu'? symtoms, duration, treatment? We have ruled out
kennel cough, as there is no coughing or gagging. Seems to be isolated
to their noses - runny, sniffing, explovsive sneezing with clear
fluid.
The vet said "technically dogs don't get colds"?!? Any ideas?