Picky eater

Old October 6th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
drahcir

Default Picky eater

Does anyone know of a great tasting canned food? I need something yummy
to mix with dry for a very picky eater.

Old October 6th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy

in thread oups.com:
"drahcir" whittled the following words:

Does anyone know of a great tasting canned food? I need something yummy
to mix with dry for a very picky eater.

If your dog is a picky eater, it's because you cater to it. I would forget
the canned food. Offer kibble. The dog will eat it,or it won't. OH, and I'd
make them EARN it. Kibble earned has more value to a dog than kibble
free fed.
Old October 6th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article .com,
drahcir wrote:
Does anyone know of a great tasting canned food? I need something yummy
to mix with dry for a very picky eater.

Picky eaters are usually created by their owners. First,
make sure that you're not overfeeding your dog, and if
you're only feeding your dog 1x/day, switch to 2x.. Second,
put the food down, if the dog doesn't finish what's in the
bowl within a limited time (say, 5 minutes) pick up the bowl
and skip the next meal.

Old October 6th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Melinda Shore wrote:
In article .com,
drahcir wrote:
Does anyone know of a great tasting canned food? I need something yummy
to mix with dry for a very picky eater.

Mine are picky too (yes created by me so everyone is saying LOL) and
won't touch the canned food - has that canned smell about it I presume.
The only one I could get them to eat for some time was Science Diet. It
was about $2AU a can - it's meant to be good for them as well. Also,
the little one (Maltese - the pickiest) liked "My Dog" which comes in
all sorts of delicacies.

Old October 6th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"drahcir" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know of a great tasting canned food? I need something yummy
to mix with dry for a very picky eater.

Try a little bit of cat food. My dog will actually chew holes in the empty
cans to get a little taste. Of course, it may partly be his jealousy of the
cat. I also found some inexpensive meat with gravy dog food (like Alpo)
that I can mix in. Of course, he's not really that much of a picky eater.
He ate Field Chunks kibble at $5/20 lb.

I just learned today that it is NOT a good idea to feed him that tasty
mixture just before leaving him alone in the house for 9 hours. He left
some "presents" at the door for me when I got home.

Paul

Old October 16th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
drahcir

Melinda Shore wrote:
In article .com,
drahcir wrote:
Does anyone know of a great tasting canned food? I need something yummy
to mix with dry for a very picky eater.

Picky eaters are usually created by their owners. First,
make sure that you're not overfeeding your dog, and if
you're only feeding your dog 1x/day, switch to 2x.. Second,
put the food down, if the dog doesn't finish what's in the
bowl within a limited time (say, 5 minutes) pick up the bowl
and skip the next meal.

Just wanted to say thanks. Although I did not implement all of your
tough love, feeding smaller amounts twice per day seems to have done
the trick.