Looking for a female German Shepherd

Old October 6th 06, 08:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

Default Looking for a female German Shepherd

I brought a German shepherd dog from Moscow and he is now 2 years old.
I want to find him a girlfriend, but don't know where to start.
His parents are show dogs, but we never showed Graff.
Need some advice on how to go about finding him a girl.
Thanks Oksana

Old October 6th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
TaraG

wrote in message
ups.com...
I brought a German shepherd dog from Moscow and he is now 2 years old.
I want to find him a girlfriend, but don't know where to start.
His parents are show dogs, but we never showed Graff.
Need some advice on how to go about finding him a girl.

If you aren't even willing to show him (or trial him in ANY German Shepherd
related working events), then why would you consider breeding him?

There is no shortage of Shepherds in rescue that were the result of poorly
thought out "Pet" breedings. In fact, the rescues have far more of these
than they can handle.

As a Shepherd lover, and as someone who lived for 10 years (RIP Finn) with a
GSD that was bred without enough care, I think this is a really bad idea.
CHD, CSM, liver disease are just the tip of the iceberg that you could be
creating. In terms of temperament, the GSD is an intense breed. If you don't
know what you are doing, then you could be creating aggressive, or shy sharp
dogs that don't have a well honed ability to discriminate actual danger from
whatever stimuli is going on at the moment. And if you think "well, my dog
is nice, and he's healthy, so that won't happen to me" I have news for
you....so did everyone who bred their pet GSD and created poor pups with
fear issues and weak bodies that required thousands of $$ to fix (or an
early grave, that being the only other option).

No one really thinks they are creating problem dogs when they
indiscriminately breed their pet. And yet temperament and health issues have
become an enormous problem in this breed (and indiscriminate breeding is the
biggest cause) No one really thinks they won't be able to sell, or give away
every puppy to a lifetime home. And yet, the shelters are filled to capacity
(yes, even with rescue pulling GSDs from shelters across the country every
day).

Please rethink your decision.

Tara

Old October 6th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Janet Puistonen

diddy wrote:
in thread news:yftVg.7$HP.6@trndny08: "TaraG"
whittled the following words:

wrote in message
ups.com...
I brought a German shepherd dog from Moscow and he is now 2 years
old. I want to find him a girlfriend, but don't know where to start.
His parents are show dogs, but we never showed Graff.
Need some advice on how to go about finding him a girl.

If you aren't even willing to show him (or trial him in ANY German
Shepherd related working events), then why would you consider
breeding him?

There is no shortage of Shepherds in rescue that were the result of
poorly thought out "Pet" breedings. In fact, the rescues have far
more of these than they can handle.

I agree about the health testing, but is health testing in place in
Russia? It would be nice to start, but without a coalition of
breeders agreeing to do this, it really doesn't say anything about
bloodlines until there is a database. And are there a lot of rescue
dogs in Russia? Or does this otherwise excellent advice even apply to
the OP?

The OP is apparently no longer in Russia. If the dog was well bred in
Europe, I'd think he should have SV papers.

If he isn't from an SV registered litter, it would raise a big red flag in
my mind in terms of potential breeding. I'm sure he's a nice pet, but
breed-worthiness is another thing altogether.

Old October 6th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
diddy

in thread news:hduVg.2$K11.0@trndny07: "Janet Puistonen"

diddy wrote:
in thread news:yftVg.7$HP.6@trndny08: "TaraG"
whittled the following words:

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

The OP is obviously no longer in Moscow. But I couldn't seewhere they
stated they left the country. Not being familiar with the registration and
testing standards there,I felt this was a valid question. I'll go back and
read to see where they left Russia.I just must have missed it.
Old October 6th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

diddy wrote:

The OP is obviously no longer in Moscow. But I couldn't seewhere they
stated they left the country. Not being familiar with the registration and
testing standards there,I felt this was a valid question. I'll go back and
read to see where they left Russia.I just must have missed it.

She's posting through a Southwest Bell server, for what it's worth.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old October 6th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

In article ,
shelly wrote:
She's posting through a Southwest Bell server, for what it's worth.

Heck, we can do better than that - residential DSL in
Irvine, CA.

Old October 6th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Melinda Shore wrote:
In article ,
shelly wrote:

She's posting through a Southwest Bell server, for what it's worth.

Heck, we can do better than that - residential DSL in
Irvine, CA.

Well, duh! If I'd taken two seconds to contemplate what irvca meant...

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old October 6th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
TaraG

"diddy" wrote in message
in thread news:yftVg.7$HP.6@trndny08: "TaraG"
whittled the following words:

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Anytime someone is contemplating breeding their untested pet, this advice
applies. If you notice, I also mentioned (*stressed* actually) temperament
issues. Whether or not the greater GSD community is testing for health
issues, I'm unclear as to how potentially breeding Shepherds with aggressive
or overly fearful temperaments is a good thing no matter *what* country the
OP is in.

Tara

Old October 6th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Suja

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message:

Heck, we can do better than that - residential DSL in
Irvine, CA.

Well, that makes it easier.

If the OP is looking for a companion GSD for her male, there are a ton of
GSD rescues in the area.

http://www.coastalgsr.org/ is just one place to look.

If you are considering getting a companion to breed to your dog, please
reconsider. There are a ton of GSD rescues in that area for a reason, and I
can assure you that many, many more die in shelters than the rescues are
able to pull. Volunteer with your local GSD rescue, and you will see just
how dire the situation is. The one I volunteer with is across the country
from you, but in any given week, there are 8 or 10 dogs that will die if we
don't pull them, and this doesn't count the many that are waiting to come in
but aren't in immediate danger of being put down.

Suja

Old October 6th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Janet Puistonen

Janet Puistonen wrote:
diddy wrote:
in thread news:yftVg.7$HP.6@trndny08: "TaraG"
whittled the following words:

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Rereading this, I realize that the OP said the parents were "show dogs."
That probably means SV if the parents were not from the US. So it is likely
that the dog is well bred. That's a start.

Proving his own breedworthiness is another matter. The OP should realize
that if the dog is not evaluated as offically "breed worthy" by the SV, then
any litters he sired wouldn't be registerable.