dog discpline

Old October 7th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
karsan

Default dog discpline

My anunt keeps putting her hand over my puppys nose when she wants to
go to me. My puppy growls and will bite her when when she does that I
told her not to do this but she keeps doing this as discpline to teach
her no to bite. I do not agree of her methods of discpline. There are
other ways to discpline your dog. My dog bit her in the stomach because
she held her nose.

Old October 7th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Olya

Belive me this punishment is not gonna help. If the puppy bites you
should put it in the place it doesn't like, so that it will understand
what's bad.

Old October 8th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
karsan

Olya wrote:
Belive me this punishment is not gonna help. If the puppy bites you
should put it in the place it doesn't like, so that it will understand
what's bad.

I love the dog when I pick her up she kisses me. What about telling her
no is that a better suggestion I do not like her holding the puppy
nose. I just do not like her methods you understand what I mean. She
even shakes the dog and the dog will growl at her I do not like that
also.

Old October 8th 06, 08:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Les Hilliard

"karsan" wrote in
oups.com:

karsan wrote:
My anunt keeps putting her hand over my puppys nose when she wants
to go to me. My puppy growls and will bite her when when she does
that I told her not to do this but she keeps doing this as
discpline to teach her no to bite. I do not agree of her methods of
discpline. There are other ways to discpline your dog. My dog bit
her in the stomach because she held her nose.

Sabina, I don't remember if this is your puppy or your aunt's but if
I recall, this puppy is very young. I'm guesing 4-6 weeks by now? Your
aunt should know that shaking that young of a puppy could possibly do some
serious damage. I can't say that with any certainty because I haven't seen
how she has shook the puppy or how hard but still it is not advisable.
That being said, her methods of discipline/punishment are only going to
result in an agressive dog.
Puppies naturally put their mouths on things as they explore their
environment. You have to teach them what is and what isn't acceptable. If
the puppy bites you, tell her no and redirect her to something appropriate
to bite on or chew such as a toy or something made for puppies to chew on
and praise the puppy for chewing on something acceptable. Holding her nose
or holding her mouth shut is only going to result in an angry puppy that
wants to bite your hand.

--
Les Hilliard & Nikki the Super Shih-Tzu
Old October 9th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
karsan

Les Hilliard wrote:
"karsan" wrote in
oups.com:

karsan wrote:
[...]

The dog is not even agressive towards me she loves me she is playful
when she comes to my house she is here everyday. When see her doing
something wrong I tell no she listens to me We give her something to
chew on show her teeth will not bother her. I love the dog it is my
aunt and her methods. I am worried that the puppy will even get ill.

Old October 9th 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On 8 Oct 2006 17:19:35 -0700, "karsan" wrote:

The dog is not even agressive towards me she loves me she is playful
when she comes to my house she is here everyday. When see her doing
something wrong I tell no she listens to me We give her something to
chew on show her teeth will not bother her. I love the dog it is my
aunt and her methods. I am worried that the puppy will even get ill.

Don't worry too much. There are many people who have raised dogs that
way. It is not the best way, but it doesn't make the dog ill. You do
what you know is better when you are with the dog, and try to not
worry too much about the times the dog is with your aunt and you can't
control how it is being treated. If your aunt is shaking the puppy,
you might be able to get the vet to tell her that she should not do
that if she doesn't listen to you. That can be dangerous, but better
to get someone else to explain it to her. With a puppy that young, it
will be going into the vet often for shots, so there will be
opportunities for the vet to explain what shaking can do to the pup.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old October 15th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
karsan

Paula wrote:
[...]

Same thing is happening again she still shakes the head and still is
yelling at the dog. She is not letting puppy play in her world.

Old October 16th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On 14 Oct 2006 22:14:10 -0700, "karsan"
wrote:

Same thing is happening again she still shakes the head and still is
yelling at the dog. She is not letting puppy play in her world.

Have you had a chance to talk to the vet about talking to your aunt?

Old October 18th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
karsan

wrote:

Same thing is happening again she still shakes the head and still is
yelling at the dog. She is not letting puppy play in her world.

Have you had a chance to talk to the vet about talking to your aunt?

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
so it's best to try to get along with them." Joe Bay

No I am still observing the same behavior and Samora likes to play and
when is she is not left to play she will bite my aunt knows this and
irritates her