i need a dog

Old October 12th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
milly

Default i need a dog

hello, my name is milly,
i am a large fan of dogs especially cocker spaniels, but my parents
arnt to keen on me getting one i have begged them to death for me to
have a cocker spaniel for christmas, but they say we have got enough
animals, i mean its not that much ive only got a dog, 8 birds, a fish,
a guinie-pig, and a figyhter fish, but i desperatly want a cocker
spaniel for christmas and i want to try and get a cheap cocker spaniel
puppy. anyway thats just what i want now about me my name is milly and
i live in brisbane i have 6 people in my family including myself, i
love animals especially dogs, i even have a dog myself and he is a male
hungarian visla called ben who is around 10 years old. i have resently
spent over $50 on ben and am currently broke, i am now saving for that
cocker spaniel that i desperatly want

thanx, milly

Old October 12th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
lmj_31

I hope you get one Milly!

Old October 12th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Michael A. Ball

On 11 Oct 2006 18:41:11 -0700, "milly" wrote:

hello, my name is milly,
i am a large fan of dogs especially cocker spaniels, but my parents
arnt to keen on me getting one i have begged them to death for me to
have a cocker spaniel for christmas, but they say we have got enough
animals, i mean its not that much ive only got a dog, 8 birds, a fish,
a guinie-pig, and a figyhter fish, but i desperatly want a cocker
spaniel for christmas...

I appreciate your love for animals. This might sound very strange, but
sometimes, love for animals means *Not* adding another animal to our
list, if it will overload us!

I notice that you don't have the time and/or energy to use capital
letters. So, I wonder if you have the time and energy for an additional
dog? Cocker Spaniels do require a bit of grooming.

Eight birds seems like a lot of work, to me! :-) With so many animals,
aren't you already quite busy? :-) When it comes to dogs, there are so
many wonderful breeds to choose from, humans don't live long enough to
enjoy all of them!

You said, "I need a dog." I submit that you do not "need" another dog
right now; but you do want another dog--and thee's a huge difference. To
be honest with you, I often want another dog, but two is my limit. So, I
might want others, but I definitely don't "need" them right now.
Possibly, that is what you are experiencing, too?

_______________________
School - Four walls with tomorrow inside.

Old October 13th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
lmj_31

OK OK outvoted I know!
I thought the same but she's just a kid with a big heart

Old October 13th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Paul E. Schoen

"milly" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Please consider what I am going through, as well as the problems others
have
posted, before you get another dog. Spending $50 on a dog is absolutely
nothing. If there are any problems, you may need to spend hundreds of
dollars a year, or more, as well as investing a great deal of time and
energy for proper exercise, training, grooming, and other things. It also
worries me that you want to spend money to purchase a puppy, rather than
adopt or foster an unwanted pet. I think sometimes people want pets because
they have problems in their lives with their relationships with people, and
are attracted to the unconditional love that most animals will return for
just a little bit of kindness.

I think it would be wonderful for you to volunteer your time and love for
animals at a rescue, where you can help many deserving creatures have a
chance at life. I would never even consider buying a pet, when there are so
many animals in need of help. My family has had many dogs, and I have had
several cats and now this one dog, and all of them were rescued from the
streets or adopted from the SPCA. I have learned a lot from reading this
newsgroup, and I hope you make an informed decision if you still want to
get
another dog.

Good luck,

Paul

Old October 18th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Cavalierlove

I have to agree that you do not need a dog. You want another dog. If
you are really interested in a Cocker Spaniel or any other purebred dog
for that matter I challange you to learn all that you can about the
breed. Instead of asking for a puppy for Christmas ask your parents for
magazines and books and videos about the breed (how to care for it,
feed it, what kinds of genetic disorders are common in the breed, and
how to groom it). Maybe even convince your parents to take you to a
local dog show so that you can see your breed in action. While you are
at the dog show try to find someone who breeds Cocker Spaniels in your
area and if they live close enough or you drive ( I am not sure how old
you are) or your parents are willing to drive you maybe you can help
out a local breeder on the weekends or something to learn about what
goes into caring for your breed of choice. I am sure you can find a
breeder willign to have you come over and help with dog chores to help
teach you about them even if the breeder does not breed your particular
breed. A reputable/ ethical breeder will be willing to teach you as
long as you are willing to learn and not just play with the puppies. If
you find a really nice breeder that you get along with they might even
teach you how to be a Junior handler for them and then you can really
learn about dogs.

Puppies are not Christmas presents they are living breathing creatures
that need love and care for their whole lives which may be more years
then you have lived yourself so far. Each year by Spring time thousands
of Christmas puppies are brought to shelters in the Springtime because
people no longer want or cannot care for or deal with the dogs any
longer. If you still want a dog by then I would ask your local shelter
or Cocker Spaniel rescue group to notify you if they get one that would
be a good match for you and your family. Show your parents that you are
serious and that you are doign the responsible thing.

I promise you dogs who get sick can cost a whole lot more then $50. I
took one of my dogs to the vet yesterday (non emergency) because she
had an upset tummy over the weekend and the visit was over $300 between
the check-up the medication, the tests, etc. Puppies need multiple vet
visits when they are young for boosters just like a human baby these
visits depending on where you live can cost hundreds of dollars.

Please take what I am saying to heart. I know you really want a dog but
educate yourself about them and show your parents and other adults in
your life that you are serious and want to do not only what you think
is best for you but what is best for the puppy as well.

You can go to www.AKC.org to learn more about cocker spaniels and find
events in your area. Good luck!!!