Kirkland (Costco) food ... helpful to supplement with nutro or fresh foods?

Old October 12th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Kirkland (Costco) food ... helpful to supplement with nutro or fresh foods?

I've been feeding my dogs the Costco foods (Kirkland Puppy for the
shih-tzu mix puppy, lamb & rice for the adult Lab mix) after being told
and having read that they are decent quality for the price. My mom has
the Costco membership and was feeding it to her dogs and brought me
some one day.

Now, I used to feed Nutro when I had more money and felt much better
about that choice. I fed my Lab mix that for most of her puppyhood and
adolescence (Nutro large breed puppy formula). I am not currently in
a position to afford much more than the Kirkland stuff. Before the
Kirkland I was broke enough that they were getting either Alpo or just
Purina puppy chow and they seemed to LOVE these. With the Kirkland,
which is supposedly better, they aren't too excited about the taste.

What I'm wondering is if it would be beneficial for them to be fed a
mix of Nutro and the Kirkland? This way I could afford it by
stretching out the bag of Nutro. Would this be good for them or
pointless?

Alternatively, should I consider supplementing the Kirkland with fresh
foods?

Thanks!

Old October 14th 06, 12:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
ups.com...
What I'm wondering is if it would be beneficial for them to be fed a
mix of Nutro and the Kirkland? This way I could afford it by
stretching out the bag of Nutro. Would this be good for them or
pointless?

Alternatively, should I consider supplementing the Kirkland with fresh
foods?

..........I don't think it's a bad thing to mix dry dog foods. I can't
comment on the brands as I know nothing about kibble any more. Yes, I'd
supplement with eggs, yogurt and sardines, whatever you feed.