Adventures in Apartment Complex Living (The Dog Roll)

Old October 13th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Adventures in Apartment Complex Living (The Dog Roll)

Lots42 of dogs! Almost all of them, thus far, have been pretty well
behaved. Those that aren't have been itty bitty dogs that obviously
do not need training (hrmf). We have seen:

2 black GSD housemates--Gorgeous, but overly fond of wandering onto
my patio and irritating Miss Brown.

Umpty Pit Bulls and mixes thereof

1 Shih Tzu--The previously mentioned Snickers, who is
not-so-well-trained, but cute and bright and thoroughly likable. I
think a second Shih Tzu lives at the far end of my building, but
I've only seen it out back, and haven't gotten close enough to get a
good look. I don't think it gets walked, whatever it is.

1 Rhodesian Ridgeback--The previously mentioned Hershey. She is
some serious kind of sweet, and seems quite gentle, though a little
goofy. The more I see of her, the more I like her.

1 Siberian Husky--Kira, who has dainty feets and *tall* perky ears
and is just about as cute as it gets. She's traditionally "Irish"
marked, with the colored parts an odd, greyish red color. She lives
on the end of the building next to mine, on the third floor. Her
person leaves the bedroom window open, and when Harriet and I go out
for our 4am walk, we can hear Kira grumbling and moaning inside. It
is Teh Cute.

2 black Lab mix housemates--They live in an upper apartment next to
mine. They spend a lot of time hanging out on their deck, and one
of them likes to whine at Harriet whenever we're out back.

1 piebald Akita--She lives two doors down, on the ground floor.
She's often on a tie-out in the early mornings. She, too, whines
and yips at Harriet.

1 enormously fat Beagle

1 enormously fat Basset--Seen waddling with the fat Beagle, so I
assume they are housemates, but they live in another court, so I
don't know for sure.

Harriet pretends that Miss Akita and Miss Lab mix Do Not Exist,
which I think is probably a good thing altogether.

The two GSDs are walked on a coupler, which strikes me as not such a
good idea, but what do I know? One of the Pit Bulls (a very sweet
Oreo marked boy--he looks just like a black and white piglet), is
walked on a choke collar with a Flexi. He seems mellow enough, and
thus far has not exhibited any dog aggression, but again, it strikes
me as a bad idea.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)