Dyspnea (shortness of breath), Wheezing and Total-body Redness in a Belgian Shepherd

Old October 14th 06, 07:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FlipFitch

Default Dyspnea (shortness of breath), Wheezing and Total-body Redness in a Belgian Shepherd

My belgian shepherd Cosmo has occasional "attacks" of Dyspnea
(shortness of breath), wheezing and complete redness of skin over his
entire body. Mostly at night, but not in conjunction with any food
change or allergen content in the air. Sometimes the attacks are night
after night for weeks -sometimes he goes months without one.
I have scoured the web looking for answers with no luck. He has been
to our vet several times, but the vet doesn't know what to do either.
Sometimes benedryl helps, but not always.
Has anyone heard of this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated
- My boy suffers so when it happens.
Thanks!

Old October 14th 06, 12:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Amy Dahl

FlipFitch wrote:

My belgian shepherd Cosmo has occasional "attacks" of Dyspnea
(shortness of breath), wheezing and complete redness of skin over his
entire body. Mostly at night, but not in conjunction with any food
change or allergen content in the air. Sometimes the attacks are night
after night for weeks -sometimes he goes months without one.
I have scoured the web looking for answers with no luck. He has been
to our vet several times, but the vet doesn't know what to do either.
Sometimes benedryl helps, but not always.
Has anyone heard of this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated
- My boy suffers so when it happens.
Thanks!

The symptoms sound like those of heart failure in humans.

I don't know much about the diagnosis and treatment of heart
conditions in dogs, but you might mention it to your vet, and
also research the incidence of heart defects such as aortic
stenosis in this breed.

Amy Dahl

Old October 14th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"FlipFitch" wrote in message
ups.com...
My belgian shepherd Cosmo has occasional "attacks" of Dyspnea
(shortness of breath), wheezing and complete redness of skin over his
entire body. Mostly at night, but not in conjunction with any food
change or allergen content in the air. Sometimes the attacks are night
after night for weeks -sometimes he goes months without one.
I have scoured the web looking for answers with no luck. He has been
to our vet several times, but the vet doesn't know what to do either.
Sometimes benedryl helps, but not always.
Has anyone heard of this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated

............Has the vet noticed any abnormalities of the heart? Had any
heart tests done? Any blood tests done? And X-rays of the heart? The dog
is negative for heartworms? What color are the tongue and gums when this
happens? Has the vet ever witnessed it?

.......If no testing at all has been done by your vet, I think it's time to
seek a second opinion. And if it happens again I'd head to an emergency
vet. Just seeing the dog in this condition may help with the diagnosis,
though I think some basic tests and X-rays should at least eliminate certain
possibilities.

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proce...ID=6503&O=Gene
ric

......poor pup, hope you can get some help soon.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old October 15th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FlipFitch

To all of you who responded - Thank you so much. The vet has seen him
in this condition, and he examined him, but still had no clue. Given
that it has happened so many times and that he is still alive, I have a
hard time believing it to be heart failure, but my wife and I have
definitely take your words to heart. We have decided to get that
second opinion from a vet that we used while our vet was on vacation.

Again, thanks so much!