Outside Dog

Old October 14th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Default Outside Dog

Hi Y'all,
Do you think there is such a thing as a dog that prefers to be
outside? He definitely was a yard dog on a chain before coming to me
about 7 months ago.
He was not housebroken, never been inside of a house or so it appeared
to me. He is 2 1/2 a PBT mix. He is very friendly, loves to play,
loves affection. He is coming along in obedience, not his fault mine.
I don't work with him as much as I should.
After he has been in the house for an hour or two he always wants to
go out. He stands at the door and looks nervous, afraid? Of course at
first I thought he has gotta gooo, but I would watch him and no he would
just run around the yard. He digs obsessively, buries any edible that
you give him outside (unless it is a tiny dog bone) and does not go back
and retrieve them EVER. The other dogs love looking for his treasures.
He appears to not have a good nose, but then maybe that is cause it
is packed with dirt. I have hidden tidbits of food in the yard. He
clearly bypasses them to go sniff the other dog's pee. Even after that
he does not return to the treats?
I am hesitant to make him stay in when he goes to the door because of
his house breaking thing.
I live in Fl. Maybe when it dips down to 60 if it ever does he will
change his tune. If I leave the dog door open he will go and sleep in
his dog house.
What do ya think? Is that normal behavior for some dogs. I have
always had dogs that are with me inside when it is 90 degrees.....?????
I would appreciate any input.

I want to help our men and servicewomen. BRING THEM HOME.......End the
war!!!!!!
Be Free.....Judy

Old October 14th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
swilliamson1983

Judith Althouse wrote:

I would appreciate any input.

No expert by any means but we had a similar problem with one of ours.
He was raised outside (his mother wouldn't keep the pups indoors,
despite her owners attempts she carried them out at every opportunity).
When we brought him home he had to be forced to come into the house at
night. He did get used to it in the end. If I remember right it was
when the weather started to get bad that he began to come in of his own
accord. He was only 16 weeks old when we brought him home though, long
way from an adult.

Old October 15th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Michael A. Ball

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 13:12:27 -0400, (Judith
Althouse) wrote:

Do you think there is such a thing as a dog that prefers to be
outside? He definitely was a yard dog on a chain before coming to me
about 7 months ago.
He was not housebroken, never been inside of a house or so it appeared
to me...

Of course, some dogs prefer to be outside; but mostly, they prefer to be
where it is safe. Forcing a dog to serve as a yard ornament is so
cruel--and that is what your dog endured, prior to your kind
intervention.

There are a very few exception, primarily unusually stout working
breeds, but I believe all dogs should be inside, with the rest of their
family. If they need house breaking, provide it. If they shed too much,
groom them. Whatever it takes, they deserve to be with their family, and
Not outside where they are totally defenseless against some of the
things that roam your area.

In the absence of any health problem, your dog can probably go eight
hours without a potty break, without much trouble. In terms of behavior
modification, I don't know what to recommend. Personally, I'd go to the
door and hug him and say calming things. Gradually, I'd stop shorter and
shorter, and have him come to me, and away from the door, for
reassurance. Hopefully, he would eventually come to me, rather than the
door.

Both of you will be safer and enjoy life more, if you can persuade him
that it is safe to be inside.

__________________________
When I count my blessings, I count my dog twice.
Old October 20th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

swilliamson
Thanks for sharing your story about your outside dog. Jack hasn't
lived here long enough to see cold. Plus, I do live in Fl. Maybe that
will make a difference when it finally cools off and once he stays in.
He will get used to it. He likes to be with us, just gets antsy after
awhile?????

Be Free.....Judy

Old October 20th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Michael Ball, thank you for sharing your words of wisdom about Jack my
dog that prefers the out of dorrs.
Don't you worry. He is safe. He is about 70 pounds of something
primarily PBT..he is Brindle and he LOOKS so mean that I just got
cancelled by my insurance company. Despite his appearance he is a love,
very mellow and plays so gently...
Though he was 2 years old and not house broken when I got him. I had
little trouble house breaking him because of his age. Thank heavens he
was use to going outside. He had an accident a month or so ago, but he
caught on pretty quickly....Michael I wish you could see the place there
is nothing that Jack can do that is offensive to me...I should say
nothing non-destructive. I have hair in every solid thing I touch,
thanks to my BC. He has shiny stiff skin...
I suppose it is my lack of effort. I shut the dog door to keep him
in. I do call him to me and he comes, next thing I know he is at the
door....not all the time...He lays at my feet, plays with toys, but when
he wants to go, he wants to go....kinda like me and food....(smile)
I guess I have bigger things I could worry about just
wondered....Thanks for your reply..

Be Free.....Judy

Old October 20th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Hi Mary,
Your Duke and Jack sound a lot the same. I do have a large fenced in
yard and there are lots of fun things out there, but I do call him in
from time to time....cuz I miss him...Hell no on the furniture...that is
what I have always said...but at least two of them have always slept in
bed with me and when I get up in the night or I am away. I know they
have been on my loungers. The couch usually has so much junk on it no
one could fit..I am currently sleeping on an air bed.....uhhhhm I like
it, but it does have a weight limit...Buck is 80....Jack is 70....Lady
is 35...Jubal Early is 65....No, you will never get my number, but it
has a 600 load limit....

Be Free.....Judy

Old October 20th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"Judith Althouse" wrote in message
swilliamson
Thanks for sharing your story about your outside dog. Jack hasn't
lived here long enough to see cold. Plus, I do live in Fl. Maybe that
will make a difference when it finally cools off and once he stays in.
He will get used to it. He likes to be with us, just gets antsy after
awhile?????

Be Free.....Judy

=================
I can't really call my Chow, Sebastian, and outside dog, because he did not
stay out overnight, but he preferred to stay out as long as possible during
the day. He was just the opposite to the Rotties I have had. They want to
stay in all the time. Rotties are definitely house dogs. But, the Chow
loved being out in the yard all day. It didn't matter what the weather was.
If it was hot, he would dig a hole under the bushes and stay there. If it
was cold and snowy, he would lie under a tree. Sometimes he was totally
covered with snow. We would have to call him a few times to come in, and
finally he would reluctantly come inside. Of course, he always came a
trotting when it was time to eat. We kept him in at night and in bad
weather, but when he had to go out, sometimes it was difficult to get him
back in. He just loved being outdoors.

Old October 20th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Pfoley I take comfort in knowing your Chow liked to hang out out of
doors...I just wondered why Jack likes it so much when it is 90 degrees
out there...Buck my Lab will be out there all night if it ever cools
off. He likes to lay out there and guard the house and lay by the shed
where the Armadillo lives. He keeps thinking he is going to get him,
but the shed is on the safe side of the fence... When it is hot you
can't get him out to pee and I don't blame him...If Jack was not social
and my attention meant nothing I would be concerned, but he loves
affection when it is convenient for him. I just guess that is his
thing...

Be Free.....Judy