Why do people throw away their dogs like garbage?

Old October 15th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Why do people throw away their dogs like garbage?

I sometimes volunteer at the local humane society. I have been noticing
that quite a lot of dogs that get dropped off have health problems from
urinary problems, teeth decay to tumors.

I kinda understand if a person is in poverty and not being able to take
care of the dog surrender is a kindness.

But this many dogs? Seems like quite a bit are people who only want a
healthy dog and once they get sick bye bye dog.

The humane society tries to cure all the dogs it can. The one with
urinary disease problems was cured and placed. The dog with the teeth
problems also. Which is good. It tries to be a very low kill shelter -
extremely sick or vicious dogs.

If people treat their dogs like this what does it say about how they
treat each other or their kids? Sorry hubby you are ill lets take a ride
to the nursing home? Sorry son you are ill lets take you to an
institution?

Old October 15th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Darla Vladschyk

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 00:38:43 -0400, wrote:

I sometimes volunteer at the local humane society. I have been noticing
that quite a lot of dogs that get dropped off have health problems from
urinary problems, teeth decay to tumors. ...
If people treat their dogs like this what does it say about how they
treat each other or their kids? ...

Increasingly badly, as it turns out. My husband is a university
professor who chooses to teach an Intro class every term in order to
stay in touch with beginning students. Every term he comes home with
more and more stories about how the kids like his class--- until he
asks them to do some *work* in it. To take responsibility for their
own grades by seeing to it that the assignments and readings and
exercises are completed, and handed in on time.

The increasinly large population of young people raised to have
micro-attention spans, to never read if they can watch a movie, to
never sit through a movie if they can click into a "graphic novel"
(comic book) on the 'net or watch a 2 minute video on YouTube, has
pretty shocking consequences for other areas of their lives, and the
lives of their parents.

Animals are fine and fun and "awesome" and everything--- until they
become work. Until they have to be walked, or played with, or nursed
through an illness. And until they cost money that is more happily
spent on electronics, Internet porn, and human junk food.

Sorry for the rant--- it's just that I see these various syndromes as
a part of the same tapestry of shallow, thoughtless, selfish people
who have no moral compass, don't know how to spell it, and don't care
to do any work to find one. It makes me feel depressed and desperate
because it reaches through all strata of current society and threatens
to bring us all down.

Darla
Nova Scotia, Canada
--
"I'm still here, you *******s!"
---Papillon

http://www.yougotta.com/DARLA/
Old October 15th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Michael A. Ball

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 00:38:43 -0400, wrote:

I sometimes volunteer at the local humane society...

First, I thank you for volunteering, but I urge you to balance your
emotional response; else, you and the animals will lose. Please, don't
burn out.

After seven years of working and/or volunteering at the local shelter,
I've learned to expect the unthinkable, but I still get caught off guard
sometimes. The thing that boggles my mind is the endless influx of dogs.
It looks like we'd have taken in every dog in this tiny county by
now--and they still come, 800 per month.

I appreciate your concern for ailing dogs that are surrendered, but I
fret more over ailing dogs that are just kicked out. The paragraphs
below tell about such a dog I met yesterday. Before I go, I'd like to
hear about the things you and fellow volunteers do at the human society!

Yesterday, a stray Cocker Spaniel was delivered to the shelter. Hungry,
flea infest, scared and fairly aggressive. She sounds like she is
wearing horse shoes, because her nails are so long and her feet are so
extremely matted. The mats extend about four inches beyond her feet.
Each ear has a mat of hair about the size of a grapefruit, and the rest
of her body is covered in similar mats.

Because of certain abilities, I am allowed to work on such dogs. All
things considered, she was very tolerant--for about 40 minutes. Once she
was too tired, she tried to bite me countless times, but missed. I
couldn't possibly be angry at her, because I know she is hurting
physically and emotionally.

Fortunately, the shelter director is a Cocker fan. So, tomorrow, I'm
going to see if she would like a hand finishing this dog's coat and
nails. It will take a muzzle and/or a sedative. Once her coat is
repaired, I'll begin building her trust and self-confidence. As she is
now, very dangerous, the public will never see her, but I'm hoping she
can be mended enough to be offered for adoption.

It boggles my mind that folks can be so cruel to such a gentle breed. If
I find the slightest mat on my dogs, I feel like a failure, and remove
the mat ASAP.

_______________________
When I die, I want to go where dogs go!
Old October 15th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
swilliamson1983

I don't understand it either. We had a 15 year old mixed breed turned
in because he didn't get on with the new puppy. He was blind and going
deaf and had arthritis. He died a couple of days after being turned
in, we'd hoped one of the women working there would take him, she often
took elderly dogs. He died before she could meet him. He broke my
heart.

Old October 15th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 15 Oct 2006 12:25:44 -0700, "swilliamson1983"
wrote:

We had a 15 year old mixed breed turned
in because he didn't get on with the new puppy.

Yep, that's the kind of crap that makes me see red, too.

And it happens all the time.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison
Old October 15th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
swilliamson1983

wrote:

We had a 15 year old mixed breed turned
in because he didn't get on with the new puppy.

Yep, that's the kind of crap that makes me see red, too.

And it happens all the time.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

I know. I wanted to kill his owners. I hate seeing elderly animals in
shelters, very few people want an older dog. I'd have rehomed the
puppy if one absolutely had to be rehomed.

Old October 15th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 15 Oct 2006 14:16:43 -0700, "swilliamson1983"
, clicked their heels and said:

I hate seeing elderly animals in
shelters, very few people want an older dog. I'd have rehomed the
puppy if one absolutely had to be rehomed.

I would say that a very large percentage of the people who get a puppy
and have an older dog, and have issues with them not getting along,
choose to dump the older dog. It's sickening, and I've never
understood how they could come to that conclusion. Of course, if I
ever started to think the way that they do, I'd have something very,
very wrong as well.

Breed rescues are often successful at placing seniors, but mixed breed
seniors have a very low placement rate.

--
Janet Boss
Old October 15th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
swilliamson1983

Janet B wrote:
I would say that a very large percentage of the people who get a puppy
and have an older dog, and have issues with them not getting along,
choose to dump the older dog. It's sickening, and I've never
understood how they could come to that conclusion. Of course, if I
ever started to think the way that they do, I'd have something very,
very wrong as well.

I truly can't understand how they can do it. How can you have a dog
for years and just dump it like that because it doesn't get on with a
new dog? And smile while doing it?? I know some people have valid
reasons but a lot don't, the dogs just inconvenient.

Breed rescues are often successful at placing seniors, but mixed breed
seniors have a very low placement rate.

At ours it seems to depend on the size. Tiny dogs tend to get new
homes fairly quickly no matter the age or breed, bigger dogs can be
waiting ages. Breed rescue doesn't seem to be a big thing over here.
I know there are some but most of the ones I've found contact numbers
for are in the south while I'm in the north. I'm sure most people
don't even know they exist.

Old October 16th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 15 Oct 2006 15:33:05 -0700, "swilliamson1983"
, clicked their heels and said:

At ours it seems to depend on the size. Tiny dogs tend to get new
homes fairly quickly no matter the age or breed, bigger dogs can be
waiting ages.

Yes, that's true here as well. A 10 year old Yorkie will get snatched
up in a flash, where a 10 year old lab will be ignored, and most
often, not accepted by a lot of shelters.

I can't fathom giving up a dog I had loved for many years, but perhaps
that's the issue - the people who do such things don't understand the
meaning of love.
--
Janet Boss
Old October 16th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:17:02 -0400, Janet B
wrote:

[]
I can't fathom giving up a dog I had loved for many years, but perhaps
that's the issue - the people who do such things don't understand the
meaning of love.

I don't think it has to with the meaning of love as much as it has to
do with today's "Disposable Society" and some people's lack of
personal responsibility.

People throw away their spouses, their children, their friends, so why
not just throw away the ol' mutt, too.

spit

--
Handsome Jack Morrison