The Monks of New Skete, The Art of Raising a Puppy

Old October 16th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

Default The Monks of New Skete, The Art of Raising a Puppy

I picked this book up in the discard bin at the library for a buck. I
am currently working with my 13 month old dog, who has the basics
mostly down. Is there anything in this book that will help me with
her, or is it strictly puppy specific? I plan to give it to a friend
who is getting a new puppy, but thought I might read it first if it
might help me.

Old October 16th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 15 Oct 2006 17:17:15 -0700, "Lynne"
wrote:

I picked this book up in the discard bin at the library for a buck. I
am currently working with my 13 month old dog, who has the basics
mostly down. Is there anything in this book that will help me with
her, or is it strictly puppy specific?

If your dog is 13 mo, already has the basics down, you're not going to
get much help from the book.

I plan to give it to a friend
who is getting a new puppy, but thought I might read it first if it
might help me.

Good book, and just right for a new puppy owner, IMO.

As far as what might help *you* now, what are your objectives?

--
Handsome Jack Morrison
Old October 16th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

wrote:

I picked this book up in the discard bin at the library for a buck. I
am currently working with my 13 month old dog, who has the basics
mostly down. Is there anything in this book that will help me with
her, or is it strictly puppy specific? I plan to give it to a friend
who is getting a new puppy, but thought I might read it first if it
might help me.

I got that book when I got my first puppy and got a lot out of it.
Many things in it have been shown to not be the best way to handle a
dog with time, however, so it probably isn't the best book to start
out with. Better to start with something else and read the Monks when
you have a better sense of what to use and what to discard in favor of
more effective methods. The alpha roll, for example, is still used by
some people, but can be a big problem for novices and there are other
things that are not problematic that you can do to accomplish the same
relationship of authority.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old October 16th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

On Oct 15, 9:59 pm, Handsome Jack Morrison
wrote:

If your dog is 13 mo, already has the basics down, you're not going to
get much help from the book.

That's what I was wondering. Thank you. I'll pass it along to my
friend.

As far as what might help *you* now, what are your objectives?

In general, I want to work with Roxy so that she is more consistent. I
really haven't "trained" her since she was a pup because she is "good
enough" for our family's lifestyle. I just reinforce what she already
knows with praise or treats. She responds well to both.

She knows and obeys: sit, down, off, come, quiet, go potty, go get it,
drop it, up (to get on the bed, couch, or in the car), leave the kitty
alone, and shake. She knows most of these with hand signals, as well
as verbally. She also knows "stay" but we're working on that one right
now because she doesn't stay long. She is VERY good off leash in the
woods, where we spend quite a lot of time. She sticks with me really
well, but I don't really have to tell her to do so. I would be
completely happy with all of this, except I am looking at adopting a
2nd dog and I want Roxy to be more consistent before we bring another
dog home.

Specifically, my goals a
1) down/stay with distractions (which I think I have a good handle on
achieving, we just have to work on it)
2) "come" the first time I say it when she is barking her fool head off
at *whatever*
3) I'd also like to get her to be able to calm down when something
outside has her worked up, hackles and howls galore (typically my
neighbors loose dogs in our front yard sigh)
4) better manners when visitors come to the door. She is a jumper and
a licker, which I love, but my mother especially doesn't enjoy this.
5) finally, Roxy is TOO friendly with other dogs. She loves all dogs,
all sizes, and even all demeanors. I am afraid this may get her hurt
one day. My friend's GSD has disciplined Roxy when her puppy antics
get too much, but Roxy doesn't seem to have any dog sense at all and
will even run up to 2 snarling dog leashed to a tree (thankfully these
were my friend's dogs and I knew they wouldn't hurt her). I suspect
working on #2 will resolve this concern I have.

I think that's it. The class I was going to sign up for is too basic
according to the instructor, and so I am going to work with her on my
own for now. I'm very excited to adopt another dog, and I think I have
found her (a Golden), but I imagine training 2 dogs at once is
difficult at best, and I think I just need some practical advice on how
to achieve my above goals with Roxy. A good book recommendation will
work!

Old October 16th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

On Oct 15, 10:20 pm, Paula wrote:

Better to start with something else and read the Monks when
you have a better sense of what to use and what to discard in favor of
more effective methods.

Maybe I won't give this book to my friend afterall.

The alpha roll, for example, is still used by
some people, but can be a big problem for novices and there are other
things that are not problematic that you can do to accomplish the same
relationship of authority.

Ha! If I tried an alpha roll on Roxy at this point, she'd go into full
play mode. She's only 35 lbs, but we wrestle on a regular basis and
it's second only to running in the woods on her list of favorite things
to do with me.

Old October 16th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.breeds,rec.pets.dogs.rescue,rec.pets.dogs.misc
[email protected]

Default The Monks of New Skete, The Art of Raising a Puppy [jerry]

A Poor Shepherd Boy And His Dog At His Masters Feet wrote:
HOWEDY lynne you pathetic miserable stinkin
lyin animal murderin mental case,

Lynne wrote:
I picked this book up in the discard bin at the library for a buck.

Ever WONder HOWE COME the library is THRHOWEIN HOWET a valuable
dog trainin book written by the most highly respected drunken
animal murderin pathetic con artist frauds in the PUPPY MILL
BUSINESS, lynne?

What the hell are you TALKING ABOUT? What, are you a ****ing 7-year
old? Can't you speak CORRECTLY?

You sound like a complete IMBECILE, you moron you.

****ing idiot...

Old October 16th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 15 Oct 2006 19:38:47 -0700, "Lynne"
wrote:

[]
She knows and obeys: sit, down, off, come, quiet, go potty, go get it,
drop it, up (to get on the bed, couch, or in the car), leave the kitty
alone, and shake. She knows most of these with hand signals, as well
as verbally. She also knows "stay" but we're working on that one right
now because she doesn't stay long. She is VERY good off leash in the
woods, where we spend quite a lot of time. She sticks with me really
well, but I don't really have to tell her to do so. I would be
completely happy with all of this, except I am looking at adopting a
2nd dog and I want Roxy to be more consistent before we bring another
dog home.

Specifically, my goals a
1) down/stay with distractions (which I think I have a good handle on
achieving, we just have to work on it)

Then repeat your training, but do it with distractions this time. The
same kinds of distractions you feel you might encounter, or want to be
prepared for.

For example, she "sits" well in your living room. Now train her to
"sit" well in your yard (with the kinds of distractions one might
encounter there (squirrels, birds, etc.). Then take it to the park.
Train her to "sit" in crowded areas of the park, where skateboarders,
loud children, etc abound. And so on.

That's how reliability is built, Lynne.

2) "come" the first time I say it when she is barking her fool head off
at *whatever*

That's just a measure of how consistent you are in reinforcing her
recalls. None of that "Come, Fido!", "COME, Fido!", "No, COME
FIDO!", "Damnit, COME FIDO!" crap.

One refusal and you *immediately* go get her and correct her. Period.

3) I'd also like to get her to be able to calm down when something
outside has her worked up, hackles and howls galore (typically my
neighbors loose dogs in our front yard sigh)

Again, that's a measure of reinforcing your commands using
distractions. For example, loose dogs in your yard.

You'll probably need a friend with dogs to help you out.

4) better manners when visitors come to the door. She is a jumper and
a licker, which I love, but my mother especially doesn't enjoy this.

She can't jump if she's in a "sit," right?

Again, this is where it pays to use distractions again. E.g., your
friends playing like "visitors." Or the mailman. Etc.

5) finally, Roxy is TOO friendly with other dogs. She loves all dogs,
all sizes, and even all demeanors. I am afraid this may get her hurt
one day.

That's pretty much a management problem, not a training problem.

My friend's GSD has disciplined Roxy when her puppy antics
get too much, but Roxy doesn't seem to have any dog sense at all and
will even run up to 2 snarling dog leashed to a tree (thankfully these
were my friend's dogs and I knew they wouldn't hurt her). I suspect
working on #2 will resolve this concern I have.

Yep. That's why the RECALL is the most important command your dog
will ever learn. And it should be constantly reinforced, in the
house, in the yard, out at the park, etc., several times a day.

I think that's it. The class I was going to sign up for is too basic
according to the instructor, and so I am going to work with her on my
own for now.

I think you've got more than enough knowledge and ability, you just
need to repeat everything you've already taught her, but do it using
DISTRACTIONS this time.

And you'll probably need some help from your friends, and their dogs.

This is one of the biggest advantages that professional trainers have
over amateurs. Help, and better facilities.

I'm very excited to adopt another dog, and I think I have
found her (a Golden), but I imagine training 2 dogs at once is
difficult at best, and I think I just need some practical advice on how
to achieve my above goals with Roxy. A good book recommendation will
work!

Just MORE TRAINING, this time using distractions, will get you where
you want to go, in my opinion.

Anyway, good luck!

--
Handsome Jack Morrison
Old October 16th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 15 Oct 2006 19:48:08 -0700, "Lynne"
wrote:

On Oct 15, 10:20 pm, Paula wrote:

Better to start with something else and read the Monks when
you have a better sense of what to use and what to discard in favor of
more effective methods.

Maybe I won't give this book to my friend afterall.

It's a *great* book for your friend. It's a classic, in fact.

The alpha roll, for example, is still used by
some people, but can be a big problem for novices and there are other
things that are not problematic that you can do to accomplish the same
relationship of authority.

Ha! If I tried an alpha roll on Roxy at this point, she'd go into full
play mode. She's only 35 lbs, but we wrestle on a regular basis and
it's second only to running in the woods on her list of favorite things
to do with me.

So tell her to forgo the alpha roll. The book has probably helped to
create more well-mannered puppies than probably all other puppy books
combined.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison
Old October 16th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

Handsome Jack Morrison wrote:

[]
Just MORE TRAINING, this time using distractions, will get you where
you want to go, in my opinion.

Anyway, good luck!

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Thank you, Jack! One more question: what is a good, effective
correction for a dog who is not on a leash? I want to say "no" less...
When Roxy is on her leash (with a flat collar), I snap it and she
straightens up (most of the time). Should I put a leash on her for our
training sessions and continue to correct her that way, or is there
something else any of you would recommend? She's a bit thick-skulled
FWIW. Reminds me of a lab we had many many years ago.

As to the book, I will give it to my friend with the advice to skip the
alpha roll. Thanks again.

Old October 16th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BlackVomit

On 15 Oct 2006 22:58:56 -0700,

wrote:

SHUT UP PERVERT!