Looking for real-world stories about successful dog and puppy adoptions

Old October 18th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
HappyHealthyPuppy

Default Looking for real-world stories about successful dog and puppy adoptions

I'm writing a book aimed at helping new dog owners choose a happy and
healthy dog. I'm trying to encourage readers to seriously consider
adopting from rescue organizations and shelters, and
I'd love to add some success stories to the book so they can see that
adoptions can
really turn out well!

Thanks so much for your help!

Old October 18th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Dan

"HappyHealthyPuppy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm writing a book aimed at helping new dog owners choose a happy and
healthy dog. I'm trying to encourage readers to seriously consider
adopting from rescue organizations and shelters, and
I'd love to add some success stories to the book so they can see that
adoptions can
really turn out well!

Do I get part of the royalties? No. I'll write just to write out of
boredom, Jay Leno has a rather uninteresting guest on anyways.

I always had pets when I was growing up. My mom didn't discriminate between
dogs and cats. I, however, had seen a fair share of dogs picked up by
animal control and, as a child, of course, even the seeing the occasional
mean dog hauled off still broke my heart. Once or twice we took in the
mangy dog that took to us because we fed it. I've known people who insist
on a high price for their AKC papered dogs. I don't have anything against
them. However, I find that for my purposes, an animal rescue dog works just
as well. It also provides the added bonus of rendering the feeling that a
perfectly fine dog has been spared an untimely death.

So, anyways, after spending 12 years moving from apartment to apartment,
none of which allowed pets, I finally decided I wanted a dog. That reason
alone was enough to make or break the next lease (I still hadn't settled
down enough to get a house).

Well, I headed straight for the Humane Society. I wasn't sure what kind of
dog I wanted. I wasn't even sure I wanted that day. But, when walked the
doggie's version of the Green Mile, I knew I was filling out paperwork on
one of them. I chose the one that had been there the longest. Admittedly,
he was rather homely. His fur didn't really have a great pattern to it, but
he was nice and quiet. I figured he wouldn't require a great deal of
housebreaking. So, I filled out the paperwork for him. I was told to call
the next day after they had a chance to look over the application for an
answer.

I called the next day and they said I'd been approved. So, I went out and
bought a collar and a leash and went to pick up my dog. They brought out a
dog that wasn't the one I'd asked for. This dog was climbing on the chairs
in the lobby, winding around in circles in the floor and acting very unruly.
I told them about this and they let me go back down the Green Mile to look
for the dog I'd asked for. He wasn't there. They didn't know which dog I
was talking about since they had brought me the one they thought, for
whatever reason, I'd asked for. Reluctantly, I agreed to take this unruly
beast. She was kind of cute. She had German Shepard colors and Husky
markings. Her eyes were remarkable with that eye-liner look you see on most
Husky breeds.

When I got her out to the car, she jumped right in. There wasn't any
coaxing involved. When I got her home and I took her for her first walk. I
noticed that she liked to jump on the neighbors trashcans and she even tried
to look in every car on the street. She would even jump at passing cars -
not in an aggressive way, but as if she thought she belonged in there. Her
affinity for cars was such that I deduced that her previous owner must have
dropped her on the side of the road out in the country when she was a puppy,
abandoned her and this had severely traumatized her.

The more that I got to know my new dog, I remembered a dog I used to chase
off in the nearby neighborhood at my previous residence. This dog used to
dump all of the trashcans in the neighborhood over and I would catch it in
the act on occasion. When I would try to run that dog off, it used to think
I was playing, and it wouldn't leave. It would just stand there at a safe
distance waiting for me to stomp at it again - panting, almost smirking at
me. One day when I was looking over my adoption paperwork I noticed that
the police from my old neighborhood had brought my new adoptee in. Could
this be that dog? Well, to this day, I believe I was meant to break up with
my ex-girlfriend (with whom I lived in the old neighborhood) and I believe I
was meant to get this dog. I am convinced that I am the proud owner of the
same dog who used to torment me so.

I've had her over a year now and she's been the absolutely most difficult
dog I've ever had to housebreak. However, she now walks fairly nicely on
the leash, she doesn't destroy the blinds to see outside, and she only eats
out of her own food bowl. She wasn't the dog I had wanted. In fact, she
was just the opposite. But maybe God gave her to me to teach me patience.
That she certainly has done. With her affinity for cars, I shudder at what
her fate probably would have been if she hadn't been picked up.