new dog problems

Old October 22nd 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
SJ

Default new dog problems

know these topics probably have been posted to death, but I have a roughly
5 month old male boxer/schnauzer(sp) mix. Playful, somewhat listens,
doesn't bite everyone, so he does have some good qualities. But he has no
desire to use the outdoors for a bathroom and he chews everything in site,
in fact he will seek out thinks we have hidden just to chew them (or though
it seems). We do have a mature 3 y/o female beagle who is a dream, no
problems with her. They get along wonderfully. I hate to get rid of this
dog, but we have given it a pretty good shot at training him both potty wise
and chewing wise. He's obviously not fixed yet and I wonder if this will
make things improve. We have tried sour apple spray on chewing things and
it improved, but you can't spray everything in the house. He is crated when
we are not home. Does well at night. Any suggestions as we may have to get
rid of him. any direction I can be pointed I will go. thanks
Scott

Old October 22nd 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Dan

"SJ" wrote in message ...
[...]

You didn't say how long you've been trying to house break him.

That, and it sounds like he may be teething. About.com has an article on that.

http://dogs.about.com/cs/basictraini...hing_puppy.htm
Old October 22nd 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
SJ

"Dan" wrote in message
.. .

"SJ" wrote in message
[...]

Dan, we've been trying for about 2 1/2 months, and he has good and really
bad days. Sometimes we can have him out for 2 hours and he'll come in and
urinate right in front of us. Nothing, such as rubbing his nose in it, to
rewarding outside, to hourly taking him out has seemed to get him to "catch
on"

Old October 22nd 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
SJ

"diddy" wrote in message
in thread : "SJ"
whittled the following words:

Dan, we've been trying for about 2 1/2 months, and he has good and
really
bad days. Sometimes we can have him out for 2 hours and he'll come in
and urinate right in front of us.

That's the problem.. Go out WITH him, and do notcome in, until he goes in
front of you (outside) and then bring him in.
Housebreaking quickly takes effort.

Nothing, such as rubbing his nose
in it, to rewarding outside, to hourly taking him out has seemed to
get him to "catch on"

sigh

sigh

Ok diddy, what do you recommend? I do go out with him most of the time and
"nothing". I did go out with him twice today and rewarded him with a treat
both times immediately after he pooped and peed. Is this good to do, or is
it in violation of the "I know about dogs" handbook.
Scott

Old October 22nd 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
diddy

"diddy" wrote in message
[...]

I would never rib his nose it in, or punish him. Pottying isn't bad. it's
WHERE he's pottying that is not desired. If you rub his nose in it, he
will continue to potty in the house, because he ""HAS""to potty, but he
can hide it.
Take him out stay with him, reward him.If you must come in, Bring him in
with you. Crate him in asmall crate, and in 10 minutes, take him back out
and try again.
Some dogs do not house break over night. And your methods, as described
certainly are not helping.
Throw your book away.
http://www.amazon.com/Evans-Guide-Housetraining-Your-Dog/dp/0876055420
try this.You can get it for 85 cents in the used books.
If you follow the methods in this guide, I guarantee a housebroken puppy.
Old October 22nd 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Dan

Ok diddy, what do you recommend? I do go out with him most of the time and
"nothing". I did go out with him twice today and rewarded him with a
treat
both times immediately after he pooped and peed. Is this good to do, or
is
it in violation of the "I know about dogs" handbook.
Scott

I would like to recommend patience. I used that repellent spray in the
hallways. That was my dogs last bastion of a "pee-haven" if you will. She
had already been broken from all of the other areas of the house. Remember
that they "go" in the places that they don't consider part of the den. It
may range from the whole house save behind the couch to the landing of the
stairwell. If you use the spray, you have to spray it twice a day, or more.

Old October 23rd 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
SJ

"diddy" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks diddy, looks good
Scott

Old October 23rd 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
SJ

"Dan" wrote in message
.. .

Ok diddy, what do you recommend? I do go out with him most of the time and
"nothing". I did go out with him twice today and rewarded him with a
treat
both times immediately after he pooped and peed. Is this good to do, or
is
it in violation of the "I know about dogs" handbook.
Scott

I would like to recommend patience. I used that repellent spray in the
hallways. That was my dogs last bastion of a "pee-haven" if you will. She
had already been broken from all of the other areas of the house. Remember
that they "go" in the places that they don't consider part of the den. It
may range from the whole house save behind the couch to the landing of the
stairwell. If you use the spray, you have to spray it twice a day, or more.

Dan, the spray I was using was for chewing control. Do they make one for
housebreaking?
If so what's it called and I'll try. thanks for the advice.
Scott

Old October 23rd 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Dan

"SJ" wrote in message

"Dan" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Mine was an aerosol by Simple Solutions. When I used it, my dog sniffed the
hall and walked briskly through the hallway where it was, but she wouldn't
'go' there (while the scent was fresh).

It's not the same as the anti-chew spray with a bad taste. I also cleaned
up the urine with the enzyme cleaners at about $10 a gallon from the pet
store. This may have been more for my benefit, but I was afraid that once
she had left her scent, that she would be more apt to continue to use that
spot.

Dan

Old October 25th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc

SJ wrote:
[...]
Dear Scott, I have a method I have used with some success on dogs & cats who use the wrong place! What I do is place the feed & water dish in that spot no matter how awkward it seems no animal likes to eat where they bathroom. As for the chewing and not going outside ask your vet. about dog anxiety.
------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C6F5FE.1E8A3470

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
HTMLHEAD
META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1"
META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR
STYLE/STYLE
/HEAD
BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff
DIV know these topics probably have been posted to death, but I =
have a=20
roughly 5 month old male boxer/schnauzer(sp) mix.  Playful, =
somewhat=20
listens, doesn't bite everyone, so he does have some good =
qualities.  But=20
he has no desire to use the outdoors for a bathroom and he chews =
everything in=20
site, in fact he will seek out thinks we have hidden just to chew them =
(or=20
though it seems).  We do have a mature 3 y/o female beagle who is a =
dream,=20
no problems with her.  They get along wonderfully.  I hate to =
get rid=20
of this dog, but we have given it a pretty good shot at training him =
both potty=20
wise and chewing wise.  He's obviously not fixed yet and I wonder =
if this=20
will make things improve.  We have tried sour apple spray on =
chewing things=20
and it improved, but you can't spray everything in the house.  He =
is crated=20
when we are not home.  Does well at night.  Any suggestions as =
we may=20
have to get rid of him. any direction I can be pointed I will go. thanks
DIVScott/DIV/DIV/BODY/HTML

------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C6F5FE.1E8A3470--