Lab/Golden horrible rash

Old October 23rd 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Lab/Golden horrible rash

Rosie, our 8 month Lab/Golden suddenly developed horrible itchy rash
(pustules really) around both eyes and nose as well as "underarms".
The vet suspects allergies but not sure...gave us antibiotics,
antihistamine and parasiticide on Saturday morn. It's now Sunday night
and I think the rash is getting worse.... Is this possibly a toxic
plant like poison oak or Ivy that she's gotten into?
I realize this is most likely food allergy...I guess my question is--Is
the presentation of the rash around eyes and nose something anyone else
has seen?

Old October 23rd 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Rosie, our 8 month Lab/Golden suddenly developed horrible itchy rash
(pustules really) around both eyes and nose as well as "underarms".
The vet suspects allergies but not sure...gave us antibiotics,
antihistamine and parasiticide on Saturday morn. It's now Sunday night
and I think the rash is getting worse.... Is this possibly a toxic
plant like poison oak or Ivy that she's gotten into?
I realize this is most likely food allergy...I guess my question is--Is
the presentation of the rash around eyes and nose something anyone else
has seen?

Did the vet rule out demodectic mange? The age is about right, as is the
rash starting around the eyes. Does it itch?

Old October 23rd 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Did the vet rule out demodectic mange? The age is about right, as is the
rash starting around the eyes. Does it itch?

It does seem to itch horribly. I just googled "demodectic mange" and
although it's the closest I've seen in terms of appearance I don't
think that's it...the onset was sudden(overnight) and drastic, these
really are pustules or bumps not scaly lesions. I may take her to our
regular vet tomorrow if there is no improvement (the first was an
emergency weekend vet) and I'll mention the demodectic mange. Thanks
for you help

Old October 23rd 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

It does seem to itch horribly.

Demodectic mange *doesn't* itch (sarcoptic does, but it's usually not seen
in young dogs).

I just googled "demodectic mange" and
although it's the closest I've seen in terms of appearance I don't
think that's it...the onset was sudden(overnight) and drastic, these
really are pustules or bumps not scaly lesions. I may take her to our
regular vet tomorrow if there is no improvement (the first was an
emergency weekend vet) and I'll mention the demodectic mange. Thanks
for you help

Sounds environmental. Ouch. Good luck. Maybe the vet can do a skin scraping
(can't remember if you said he/she did one).

Old October 23rd 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
oups.com...
Rosie, our 8 month Lab/Golden suddenly developed horrible itchy rash
(pustules really) around both eyes and nose as well as "underarms".
The vet suspects allergies but not sure

..........Allergies are the last choice. Skin scrapings for mites, fungal
cultures, should all come first. It could also be Staph. And since you
said it was overnight, could be something she stuck her nose in, like grass
just sprayed with chemicals. Cedar dog beds could also be a problem.

Old October 23rd 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
oups.com...
and parasiticide on Saturday morn. It's now Sunday night
and I think the rash is getting worse....

........forgot to address this - what was the *parasitide*? It's really best
to find out what's going on first before throwing the kitchen sink at it.

Old October 23rd 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

.......forgot to address this - what was the *parasitide*? It's really best
to find out what's going on first before throwing the kitchen sink at it.

buglady

It's actually a parasiticide called "Revolution" (selamectin). The
vet was quite resistant to testing for anything. He gave me the
impression that the tests are very limited in scope and that it would
be almost impossible to determine what she has, thus the "kitchen
sink".
It is possible she has gotten into something, we live rurally on many
acres and we let Rosie and her sister (who is fine) out alone for short
periods. That's why I was wondering about a poison plant.
Rosie seems to be normal in terms of energy and playfulness...she just
looks awful.

Old October 24th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
oups.com...

It's actually a parasiticide called "Revolution" (selamectin).

........well, that would take care of fleas and Sarcoptic mange, walking lice
(Cheyletiella) but not Demodex:
http://www.isrvma.org/article/58_2_1.htm
Info on Demodex:
http://www.vetinfo.com/dogdmite.html
And other parasites:
http://www.vetinfo.com/dogpara.html
General itchies:
http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/itch.html
Contact dermatitis:
http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=508
The
vet was quite resistant to testing for anything. He gave me the
impression that the tests are very limited in scope and that it would
be almost impossible to determine what she has, thus the "kitchen
sink".

.......Hmmmmmmm, well IMHO that's a silly way of thinking. If it doesn't get
better, it may not be because the treatments didn't work, but because they
weren't given long enough. Certainly antihistimine was appropriate to
relieve the itching. If it's something like Staph, though, a short course
of antibiotics doesn't do much.
http://www.vetinfo.com/dpyoderm.html...ns%20(pyoderma)

........And nothing he's done will help fungal infections.

It is possible she has gotten into something, we live rurally on many
acres and we let Rosie and her sister (who is fine) out alone for short
periods. That's why I was wondering about a poison plant.

...........yes, anything that crops up virtually overnight is more likely to
be contact dermatitis. If you ever face this situation again, first thing
to do is to give cool bath to wash off whatever might be on her. Won't help
if it's a reaction to a plant, but if it's chemical or pollen of some sort,
getting it off the body will help. BTW, I don't think dogs usually have
poison ivy problems, but can give it to you if it's on their fur!

Rosie seems to be normal in terms of energy and playfulness...she just
looks awful.

........has the itching subsided? Is the dog still on antihistamines? And
if the dog is not spayed, could be hormones which is causing the skin to be
so reactive (just like teenageers!). OTOH Goldens are sort of notorious for
hyperactive immune systems.

Old October 24th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

.......has the itching subsided? Is the dog still on antihistamines? And
if the dog is not spayed, could be hormones which is causing the skin to be
so reactive (just like teenageers!). OTOH Goldens are sort of notorious for
hyperactive immune systems.

I took Rosie (who is spayed) to her regular Vet this morning and am
much relieved, he ruled out allergies and came to much the same
conclusion as you buglady....he thinks she's come in contact with some
irritant probably a type of grass for which he didn't know the English
name (we're in Quebec). He also mentioned mushrooms, but I'm not sure
if he meant a fungal infection or contact with mushrooms...(this
language thing can be a confusing, my french is fine for most things
but obviously not for animal's medical issues). He prescribed new
antibiotics just because he wasn't familiar with the American ones she
had from the first Vet over the border, and will see her again in a
week. In any case this morning she seems to be less itchy and the
pustules or lesions or whatever seem to be drying up.

(I like this Vet especially because he does seem to really like the
animals, talking to them, petting them and handling them so
gently...this hasn't always been my experience.)

Thanks so much for all the info. I appreciate it enormously.

Old October 24th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
ps.com...
He also mentioned mushrooms, but I'm not sure
if he meant a fungal infection or contact with mushrooms...(this
language thing can be a confusing, my french is fine for most things
but obviously not for animal's medical issues).

.........heh! I once had some ladies discussing a white blotch on my tanned
neck as they sat behind me on a bus in Mexico. They said I had hongos
(mushrooms)!

Puppy Rash Bill Atkins Dog behavior 1 February 6th 05 10:58 PM
Horrible experience Lynda Dog behavior 36 September 19th 04 02:39 AM
rash under collar john doe Dog health 1 August 24th 04 12:10 PM
rash curt Dog health 2 July 26th 03 03:19 PM
rash curt Dog health 0 July 26th 03 01:50 PM