preventing dominant behavior

Old October 23rd 06, 09:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default preventing dominant behavior

we have 2 dogs that live in harmony. one is dominant and the other is
submissive. we just got another 3rd dominant, and the two dominants
are trying to dominate each other. i would prefer that they not
challenge each other because it seems that neither will back down and i
don't want any serious injuries. i wonder what will happen if i
constantly intervene all challenges?

Old October 23rd 06, 10:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

You failed to mention the sex of your 2 dominant dogs. My belief is, 2
dominant females are the worst. That's why they call them "bitches". You
also don't mention the breed or size of your dogs. Should they be
large dogs--SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET HURT SOONER OR LATER !. Good luck !
Dan

Old October 23rd 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

You failed to mention the sex of your 2 dominant dogs. My belief is, 2
dominant females are the worst. That's why they call them "bitches". You
also don't mention the breed or size of your dogs. Should they be
large dogs--SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET HURT SOONER OR LATER

!.

Maybe, maybe not.

First, when a dog is introduced into a new situation he's
going to spend some time sussing things out and his behavior
isn't necessarily going to be the same as it is once he
settles in. Part of that process is trying to figure out
his place in the pack. He may do stuff that looks dominant
while working things through but not actually be dominant.
For example, one of my dogs spent his first couple of weeks
here shoving his head over the withers of all of the other
dogs, but once he settled in he not only knocked it off
completely but also settled quietly and without complaining
into a mid-pack role and turned out to be a really easy-
going dog who gets along gangbusters with everybody. I
think the key here is to keep a close eye on the situation
and not overreact. Draw clear lines about what's acceptable
behavior, don't leave the dogs alone together without
supervision until things have settled down and you know what
you've got, but treat the situation as unresolved (because
it is). I find it usually takes 2-3 weeks for the dogs to
realize that the new configuration is permanent and to start
behaving "normally."

Second, dogs may or may not hurt each other resolving
dominance issues, and it's not a question of size. Females
are more likely to resort to violence and I think they're
more likely to carry a grudge, but it's not guaranteed.

Third, submissive females are called bitches, too.

"All of [Herbert] Hoover's successors until [George W] Bush
understood the fragility of free trade" -- Bruce Bartlett
Old October 23rd 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

do look for a change in a few weeks once newbie feels safe.
they often crank it up a level once they know the chow line is stable.

in the meantime, push the reset button when you see the body languange
change.
by that i mean, when the tail gets high, ears alert and eye starts to
focus, intervene with newbie's name, praise any attention paid, BEFORE
it goes into any domanating behavior. doing so makes the dog have to
start over.

redirecting lets all know you're calling the shots.