Sadie

Old October 23rd 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Just Mel

Default Sadie

My standard poodle pup is coming along nicely. she's now 3 months old Or
thereabout BD was 8-9-06.
She is sitting when asked, walking well on a leash, learning to Heel,Comes
to her name and has "leave it" down pat(Good Sadie!) We are working on Down
and stay, but having limited success. I'm assuming it's her age.
She's had some trouble learning the stairs and still wants to be carried.
She's getting heavy!I was thinking of leashing her and making her use the
stairs. Treat for step treat for step.Not pulling her up-down.
I gotta say it again. Standard poodles are different in a lot of ways
besides size.

There are two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

Old October 23rd 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

"Just Mel" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

My standard poodle pup is coming along nicely. she's now 3
months old Or thereabout BD was 8-9-06.

I love puppy training threads. You need to post a couple of
picture links.

She is sitting when asked, walking well on a leash,
learning to Heel,Comes to her name and has "leave it" down
pat(Good Sadie!)

Great!

We are working on Down and stay, but
having limited success.

Those take patience - both on the dog's part and yours. At
three month old, I'd be rewarding for limited success.

I'm assuming it's her age.

Don't push it. Poodles are smart dogs, you don't want Sadie
to lose interest.

Old October 23rd 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
TaraG

"Just Mel" wrote in message
My standard poodle pup is coming along nicely. she's now 3 months old Or
thereabout BD was 8-9-06.
She is sitting when asked, walking well on a leash, learning to Heel,Comes
to her name and has "leave it" down pat(Good Sadie!)

I agree. Good Sadie!

We are working on Down and stay, but having limited success.

The stay might be about attention span, but it depends on how long you're
trying to get her to stay. I agree with Matt that its best to keep it very
short and very fun at this point.

With the down, make sure you're not turning every Down into a Stay. She
might be avoiding it, or going into it slowly if she knows that "the boring
thing" is automatically going to follow.

I'm assuming it's her age.
She's had some trouble learning the stairs and still wants to be carried.
She's getting heavy!I was thinking of leashing her and making her use the
stairs. Treat for step treat for step.Not pulling her up-down.

Definitely no pulling. I would even be careful about trying to lure her to
do things she's mentally not ready to approach. I find the best way to teach
stairs is to carry them to the last step (or the last couple of steps) and
have them just do that last part on their own, with tons of excitement and
treats and praise and stuff at the end. So, if you're going up the stairs,
carry her to the next to last setp, and just have her go up the last step a
few times until she's confident. When she's feeling pretty saucy about that,
then have her do the last two....then the last three....etc.

Same for going down the stairs. Carry her to the next to last bottom step,
and just make a game of jumping on and off *that* step. If she wants to
climb up higher than one or two, don't even let her for the first few
minutes (she might turn around, realize how high up she is and freeze), just
make a game of going up one, down one, up one, down one.....up two, down
two....etc.

Working at both ends of the staircase, while you visually block the rest
with your body tends to make it *much* less intimidating for the pup. Pretty
soon, she;ll be confidently doing the whole thing on her own.

I gotta say it again. Standard poodles are different in a lot of ways
besides size.

Smart little pups!

Tara

Old October 23rd 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Just Mel

I always get great advice here!
On the downs it's a quickie with a goodie. and the stays....if I get her to
stay even a few seconds That's great. I only work with her in a good relaxed
fun mood daily for about 10 minutes at a time. maybe 3 times a day. Right
now I think the most important thing is for her to get used to people.
Yesterday we went to the neighborhood park and she was frightened by the
squealing children. so I ignored her behavior. Today I took treats (Lamb
livers) to the park when I knew kids would be there.I gave the treats to the
kids and asked them to give them to Sadie. Wow, when we left her tail was
going 500 miles an hour. The school bus just came, and Sadie was in the
window watching.. tail going a mile a second. I know she was
think..kids=lamb .what a difference a day can make.(squealing kids make me
anxious too)
okay Pictures will be posted today! just as soon as I get photobucket
figured out. stay tuned.

Old October 24th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

My standard poodle pup is coming along nicely. she's now 3 months old Or
thereabout BD was 8-9-06.
She is sitting when asked, walking well on a leash, learning to Heel,Comes
to her name and has "leave it" down pat(Good Sadie!)

good girl Sadie!

She's had some trouble learning the stairs and still wants to be carried.
She's getting heavy!I was thinking of leashing her and making her use the
stairs. Treat for step treat for step.

I agree with what someone else said, do the steps gradually. Cali was
terrified of going down steps for a long time until I started putting her
towards the bottom and having her do a few at once. Now she's fearless (of
stairs and pretty much everything else).

Old October 24th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:38:41 -0400, "MauiJNP" wrote:

My standard poodle pup is coming along nicely. she's now 3 months old Or
thereabout BD was 8-9-06.
She is sitting when asked, walking well on a leash, learning to Heel,Comes
to her name and has "leave it" down pat(Good Sadie!)

good girl Sadie!

She's had some trouble learning the stairs and still wants to be carried.
She's getting heavy!I was thinking of leashing her and making her use the
stairs. Treat for step treat for step.

I agree with what someone else said, do the steps gradually. Cali was
terrified of going down steps for a long time until I started putting her
towards the bottom and having her do a few at once. Now she's fearless (of
stairs and pretty much everything else).

Sammie never was afraid of the stairs, more's the pity! He had a
great day today because we had a couple of different people come over
who responded to his bounding around them by picking him up and giving
him scritches. I still think I need to get him into agility. He
turns the whole house into his own personal obstacle course anyway.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old October 24th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

Sammie never was afraid of the stairs, more's the pity! He had a
great day today because we had a couple of different people come over
who responded to his bounding around them by picking him up and giving
him scritches. I still think I need to get him into agility. He
turns the whole house into his own personal obstacle course anyway.

I wish a really experienced agility person lived near me and wanted to
do agility with Cali. She does very well when we just play around outside
on the cheap equipment and I don't feel worthly of handling her. She is so
fast and agile and could do amazing if she had someone who knew what they
were doing. I took an agility class with Maui (for beginners) and next is
Cali's turn but I think she'd do better with someone else.

Old October 25th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
SAMK

Just Mel wrote:
My standard poodle pup is coming along nicely. she's now 3 months old Or
thereabout BD was 8-9-06.
She is sitting when asked, walking well on a leash, learning to Heel,Comes
to her name and has "leave it" down pat(Good Sadie!) We are working on Down
and stay, but having limited success. I'm assuming it's her age.
She's had some trouble learning the stairs and still wants to be carried.
She's getting heavy!I was thinking of leashing her and making her use the
stairs. Treat for step treat for step.Not pulling her up-down.
I gotta say it again. Standard poodles are different in a lot of ways
besides size.

My standard is now four, and it took him quite some time to want to do
stairs,
too, to the vast amusement of my neighbors. Now, he jumps off from
about
four stairs up! You might try going down first and encouraging her to
join you.

Do you have the paw thing? Mine really loves throwing his paws at me.

SAMK

Old October 27th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Just Mel

I'm not sure what you mean by throwing her paws at me. Like boxing? No,
she's not boxing me but she is playing pretty strong with Sam(golden
retriever)
She is just starting to be "puppy on fire" running full tilt, grabbing
anything in her reach for keep away.(I'm carrying toys and treats to trade
now) and being completely crazy. I know she's finally coming out of her
funk. She actually smiles!!
She's turning into one rum ticker.(ohh, that means one fine girl)My
grandfathers old world slang.
I am noticing she is pretty shy with strangers, so I'm taking her to a lot
of places where people are and giving them treats to feed her. But my
groomer tells me that Standards are almost always shy with strangers?
"SAMK" wrote in message
ups.com...