Dog Obedience classes in Baltimore County schools

Old October 26th 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

Default Dog Obedience classes in Baltimore County schools

What is your opinion of or experience with obedience classes as given at
local county schools? I was looking into this before I took the classes at
the SPCA. The cost is $50 for 9 weeks, and is conducted indoors. The link
for the sign up sheet is: http://www.glrrc.org/dog_obed/Dog_Obedience.doc.
Note that it has specific questions about whether the dog has bitten a
person or dog, and asks for an explanation.

Paul

Old October 26th 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 01:18:14 -0400, "Paul E. Schoen"
, clicked their heels and said:

What is your opinion of or experience with obedience classes as given at
local county schools? I was looking into this before I took the classes at
the SPCA. The cost is $50 for 9 weeks, and is conducted indoors. The link
for the sign up sheet is: http://www.glrrc.org/dog_obed/Dog_Obedience.doc.
Note that it has specific questions about whether the dog has bitten a
person or dog, and asks for an explanation.

I've added that to mine, although I still don't expect that people are
honest about it.

These classes are good. I note that she says choke collars only, but
I know dogs work on head collars sometimes, don't remember about other
collars. It's a school gym. It's a fairly large space, which is
good, and "traditional" obedience.

I still don't think a group class is a wise choice for you and
Muttley.

--
Janet Boss
Old October 26th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 07:12:32 -0500, diddy ,
clicked their heels and said:

He's seeing a behaviorist,

He's seeing someone who CALLS himself a behaviorist. I'm skeptical.

The behaviorist probably recommended obedience
classes, or he probably wouldn't be looking into them.

Oh c'mon - no offense to Paul, but he's jumped around with ideas a
lot.

Perhaps the behaviorist has seen some MAJOR changes in both Muttley and
Paul?

Do we even know if they've met more than the once when the guy threw
food and popped Muttley's collar?

The class he's considering is fairly spacious (have only seen it a few
times, so the individual class may vary). It IS indoors though, and
dogs will be coming and going through one doorway. That alone has me
concerned.

--
Janet Boss
Old October 26th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sionnach

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in message
What is your opinion of or experience with obedience classes as given at
local county schools?

Unless someone has taken that *particular* class, their opinion and
experience really isn't going to be relevant as to whether it's an
appropriate class for Muttley. Classes of that sort vary widely and wildly,
depending on the facility and the instructor.

In any case, at this point, I think it's been pretty well established that
group classes aren't an appropriate setting for him.

Note that it has specific questions about whether the dog has bitten a
person or dog, and asks for an explanation.

If this wasn't a text-based forum, I'd post an animated cartoon of someone
beating a dead horse. :-P

Instead of focusing on what a signup sheet asks YOU (and in the process,
apparently trying to re-open your agenda/vendetta), and soliciting opinions
from people who have no way of knowing anything about that particular class
and instuctor, IMO your time would be far better spent in turning off your
computer and taking some constructive action to investigate the class.

That would mean CALLING the instructor, HONESTLY describing the issues you
have with Muttley, including being honest about the fact that you lost
control of him in a similar class and he injured another dog, and asking her
if you think her beginner class is an appropriate setting for him.
It would also mean getting in your car, driving to the facility, and
actually OBSERVING the class a couple of times, so that you would have
first-hand information about the set-up, the methods, and so forth.

Old October 26th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

on 2006-10-26 at 10:43 wrote:

Note that it has specific questions about whether the dog
has bitten a person or dog, and asks for an explanation.

Instead of focusing on what a signup sheet asks YOU (and in
the process, apparently trying to re-open your
agenda/vendetta), and soliciting opinions from people who
have no way of knowing anything about that particular class
and instuctor, IMO your time would be far better spent in
turning off your computer and taking some constructive action
to investigate the class.

That would mean CALLING the instructor, HONESTLY describing
the issues you have with Muttley, including being honest
about the fact that you lost control of him in a similar
class and he injured another dog, and asking her if you think
her beginner class is an appropriate setting for him.

Exactly.

I don't know what Paul's motivation for making this post was,
but I get the impression that he's looking for permission to
play a cat and mouse game with future obedience instructors.
Of course, that's his prerogative, but if he does so, it's a
pretty nasty thing to do. If you know your dog has issues,
it's your job to bring them to the instructor's attention; it
is not the instructor's job to ferret that information out of
you.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old October 26th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"diddy" wrote in message:
He's seeing a behaviorist,

More likely someone who is calling him/herself that. There are only two
certified animal behaviorists in Maryland, both about an hour away from
Baltimore (in theory anyway, traffic being what it is, you can add at least
another half hour to that during weekday rush hour).

That said, the "behaviorist" that worked with Isabelle is not really
certified, but specializes in animal behavior and was recommended by Dr.
Overall. So, it is not outside the realm of possibility that whoever he is
working with is competent, and that he's applying himself to this cause to
make it work.

Suja

Old October 26th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Sionnach" wrote in message
If this wasn't a text-based forum, I'd post an animated cartoon of someone
beating a dead horse. :-P

And if Janet hadn't actually met Paul and Muttley, this new thread would be
the final proof that Paul is conducting some sort of experiment to see how
long people will keep responding to his posts.

It doesn't matter what anyone here says. Paul is going to do what he wants
to - or NOT do what he doesn't want to. Now, normally, that's a perfectly
reasonable response to advice given over the internet. But in this case,
because of the repeated requests, it's getting really, really tiresome.

I'd killfile the whole thing but I wouldn't know where to start. So I guess
I'll just "ignore" until he goes away.

So if all y'alls find the thread drifting into something interesting, please
start a new thread so I won't miss it.

Judy

Old October 26th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:43:16 -0400, "Sionnach"
wrote:

Instead of focusing on what a signup sheet asks YOU (and in the process,
apparently trying to re-open your agenda/vendetta), and soliciting opinions
from people who have no way of knowing anything about that particular class
and instuctor, IMO your time would be far better spent in turning off your
computer and taking some constructive action to investigate the class.

That would mean CALLING the instructor, HONESTLY describing the issues you
have with Muttley, including being honest about the fact that you lost
control of him in a similar class and he injured another dog, and asking her
if you think her beginner class is an appropriate setting for him.
It would also mean getting in your car, driving to the facility, and
actually OBSERVING the class a couple of times, so that you would have
first-hand information about the set-up, the methods, and so forth.

Excellent advice. I don't have any hope that Paul will take it, of
course, but it's good advice nonetheless.

Mustang Sally

Old October 26th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:37:39 -0400, "Suja" ,
clicked their heels and said:

Standard advice for any obedience class for any dog is to get
recommendations, talk to the instructor, then go and see what is going on in
the class.

It's interesting that Paul did just that, back in July. He came to
the classes and I met with him and Muttley then. He talked with some
of the students at the time as well.

In this case, I would have a completely honest converstion with the
instructor about the problems you've had with this dog first, and then go
meet the instructor or have them evaluate him. I don't know the rules
followed in this class, but there are many that will not accept dogs that
have bitten humans or other dogs.

I know this class, but don't know the answer to that either. They do
have a waiver, as I do, putting responsibility and liability on the
dog owner. I think it's really important to understand that before
attending classes, even if the instructor says yes.

--
Janet Boss
Old October 26th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
It doesn't matter what anyone here says. Paul is going to do what he wants
to - or NOT do what he doesn't want to.

The flip side of that is that protracted discussions of the
finer points of working with a dog nobody (other than Janet)
has seen are not going to tend to be all that useful,
anyway.

I can't remember whether "absurd" or "ridiculous" comes
first, but it seems to me that this discussion has passed
through both, is currently visiting "asinine," and is making
a beeline for "just plain assey."

Betweem 2000 and 2005, the US government's future liabilities increased
by $26 trillion. The single largest increment is Medicare Part D.