Old dog

Old October 26th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Nicholas Kingsley

Default Old dog

Hello

Our Red Setter cross-breed has unfortunately has now almost totally lost the
use of his back legs, which means walking is no longer possible - which also
means there are toilet problems every so often...

Anyway, is there any way of increasing his mobility so that he can at least
visit the backdoor ? He's unfortunately too large to lift, unless there's
something availiable to help.

Nicholas

Old October 26th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:59:01 +0100, "Nicholas Kingsley"
, clicked their heels and said:

Our Red Setter cross-breed has unfortunately has now almost totally lost the
use of his back legs, which means walking is no longer possible - which also
means there are toilet problems every so often...

Anyway, is there any way of increasing his mobility so that he can at least
visit the backdoor ? He's unfortunately too large to lift, unless there's
something availiable to help.

Ther are a number of products to use as a sling and assist a dog
without use of hind legs. Here's one:
http://www.walkaboutharnesses.com/

I had an elderly lab here who needed help. A regular harness allowed
me to help him like carrying a suitcase, and get him out the door
easily. A large towel can be used as a sling under the dog's belly
as well.

Is he taking any medication? What does your vet say? Is he confined
to a certain area of the house? Have to deal with stairs? slippery
flooring?

--
Janet Boss
Old October 26th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Nicholas Kingsley

Hello

Thanks for the information - that might be useful.

He's not on medication - he's got arthritis in his legs - been gradually
getting worse over the past year. Unfortunately the vet said there wasn't
much that could be done about it.

At the moment he just lays in the sitting room - cant manage stairs now,

Nicholas

Old October 26th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:19:01 +0100, "Nicholas Kingsley"
, clicked their heels and said:

He's not on medication - he's got arthritis in his legs - been gradually
getting worse over the past year. Unfortunately the vet said there wasn't
much that could be done about it.

You should see a different vet. There are a lot of things that may
help and some, dramatically so.
--
Janet Boss
Old October 27th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky

Janet B said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

He's not on medication - he's got arthritis in his legs -
been gradually getting worse over the past year.
Unfortunately the vet said there wasn't much that could be
done about it.

You should see a different vet. There are a lot of things
that may help and some, dramatically so.

Yes, and even if it's just pain management, there are ways of
making a dog's last few days/months so much more comfortable.

Old October 27th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Nicholas Kingsley" wrote in message:

He's not on medication - he's got arthritis in his legs - been gradually
getting worse over the past year. Unfortunately the vet said there wasn't
much that could be done about it.

How old is your dog?

Your vet is wrong about there being nothing you can do about your dog's
arthritis. Even if it won't get him his mobility back, there are things you
can do to make him more comfortable in his old age.

Suja

Old October 27th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Michael A. Ball

wrote:

Our Red Setter cross-breed has unfortunately has now almost totally lost the
use of his back legs, which means walking is no longer possible - which also
means there are toilet problems every so often...

Anyway, is there any way of increasing his mobility so that he can at least
visit the backdoor ? He's unfortunately too large to lift, unless there's
something availiable to help.

I'll be the devil's advocate and say that there almost always options.
Unless your vet knows something we don't know, there is probably some
option remaining for your dog. I've always thought those walk about
devices, like strap-on training wheels, were truly marvelous--as long as
there aren't too many other health issues!

Otherwise, veterinary technology can enable us to keep our dogs around,
long after the dog wants to be here. I believe knowing when to part with
them is just as important as knowing the treatment options.

Please, let us know what works for you and your dog, because many others
face this dilemma.

Best wishes.

___________________
A dog's life is too short; their only fault really.

Old October 28th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

If he has arthritis have you tried any of the arthitis drugs made
specificaly for dogs. I had a lab/mix who has severe arthritis and he got
around just fine the last 5 years of his life due to these medications.
There is no need to let him suffer in pain when there are drugs out there
that can help him.

I currently have a beagle mix who has arthritis and I have him on Rimadyl.
When he doesn't get him medications he can't go up and down steps. When he
is on it he bounces up and down them like there is nothing wrong.

If the arthrtis is bad enough that he can't get up anymore then the cosequin
and all the supplements in the world are not going to do **** for him. He
needs on prescription pain medication made for dogs. Either get him on pain
medications or give him peace and let him go. Living in pain is not way the
way a dog should spend his last years of life.

Celeste

Celeste