Castrating an Adult dog (cost)

Old October 27th 06, 09:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Frogman

Default Castrating an Adult dog (cost)

Hello all,
I have a Three year old healthy mongrel dog (about the size of a
Labrador) which requires castration, so I phoned my local vet and was
told this would cost between 200 and 250 which seems a little steep
to me, has anyone had their dog done recently and if so what was the
cost?

--
Regards,
Frogman, http://www.frogman.org.uk for free downloads and more...

You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never to try.

Old October 27th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Michael A. Ball

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 09:36:40 +0100, Frogman
wrote:

I have a Three year old healthy mongrel dog (about the size of a
Labrador) which requires castration, so I phoned my local vet and was
told this would cost between 200 and 250 which seems a little steep
to me, has anyone had their dog done recently and if so what was the
cost?

WOW! "A little steep" is an understatement! Contact your local animal
shelter. I bet they can recommend a low-cost neuter source.

There are such programs here, through the animal shelter. A dog the size
of your's can be neutered for about $65.00 US dollars. Without the
program, the cost can reach $150.00 easily.

Thank you for neutering your dog. Remember not to over feed him and
allow him to become over weight.

__________________________
When I count my blessings, I count my dog twice.
Old October 27th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Amy Dahl

Frogman wrote:

Hello all,
I have a Three year old healthy mongrel dog (about the size of a
Labrador) which requires castration, so I phoned my local vet and was
told this would cost between 200 and 250 which seems a little steep
to me, has anyone had their dog done recently and if so what was the
cost?

It's a lot cheaper over here in N. America, because of the push to
castrate all dogs whether they need it or not. A volume discount,
as it were.

I don't know if another vet there might do it for less, but I'd
certainly call some others and ask.

Why does yours need to be castrated (if you don't mind telling)?

Amy Dahl

Old October 28th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,misc.misc
Spot

NO!!!!!!!!!

Would you want someone to put rubber band around your balls to castrate you

"Carlos Seramos" wrote in message
om...
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 09:36:40 +0100, Frogman wrote:

Hello all,
I have a Three year old healthy mongrel dog (about the size of a
Labrador) which requires castration, so I phoned my local vet and was
told this would cost between 200 and 250 which seems a little steep
to me, has anyone had their dog done recently and if so what was the
cost?

Can't you just place a tight rubber band around the testicles, the same
way they do with pigs?

Old October 28th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

I don't know what the conversion rate is but my last two I got done here in
the US. Female 50lbs $180.00. Male 40lbs $250.00......addition expenses
for this one due to an undesceded testical which required more extensive
surgery. In this area my local vet is really pretty cheap. Other vets in
the area are considerably more expensive.

Celeste

Old October 28th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

addition expenses for this one due to an undesceded testical which required
more extensive surgery.

This week our docs removed an undescended testicle on an older dog that had
turned cancerous. Size was bit bigger than a golf ball. The picture of the
mass is still being talked about at the clinic.

Old October 28th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Michael A. Ball

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:39:33 GMT, Amy Dahl
wrote:

...It's a lot cheaper over here in N. America, because of the push to
castrate all dogs whether they need it or not...

"Whether they need it or not"? LOL Once the steam clears, that's a quite
humorous remark; but still pathetic, especially from a kennel owner.

Here is a list of dogs that need not be neutered ASAP: (1.) Dogs that
represent their breed so flawlessly that reproducing their
characteristics is justified; and that includes, temperament,
appearance, and physical health. (2.) Oops! There is no other exception.

All other male dogs "need" to be neutered. The same principle applies
equally to female dogs.
Why does yours need to be castrated (if you don't mind telling)?
Amy Dahl

"Why..."? Do you mean, "Why...in addition to all of the universally
recognized and generally understood reasons"?

_______________________
This time, you've gone too far.
Old October 28th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

on 2006-10-28 at 09:37 wrote:

All other male dogs "need" to be neutered.

No, all other male dogs do *not* "need" to be neutered. I
think there are some not inconsiderable risks to neutering
males. As I'm perfectly capable of keeping any dog of mine
from breeding, there is no social reason for me to neuter any
future dogs if I prefer not to.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old October 28th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
TaraG

wrote:

...It's a lot cheaper over here in N. America, because of the push to
castrate all dogs whether they need it or not...

"Whether they need it or not"? LOL Once the steam clears, that's a quite
humorous remark; but still pathetic, especially from a kennel owner.

Gratuituous snark towards a person who never snarks at anyone? What a shock.

Here is a list of dogs that need not be neutered ASAP: (1.) Dogs that
represent their breed so flawlessly that reproducing their
characteristics is justified; and that includes, temperament,
appearance, and physical health. (2.) Oops! There is no other exception.

All other male dogs "need" to be neutered. The same principle applies
equally to female dogs.

You have an incredibly bizarre notion of "need" and a weirder way of
applying it to the dog.

WE need for those dogs to be neutered so that WE don't have to worry
excessively about contributing to the homeless pet population.

That is worlds different from saying that a DOG "needs" to be neutered.

Why does yours need to be castrated (if you don't mind telling)?
Amy Dahl

"Why..."? Do you mean, "Why...in addition to all of the universally
recognized and generally understood reasons"?

No. She's just using the actual definition of the word, and not catering to
your angry paranoia.

Tara

Old October 28th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Robin Nuttall

Shelly wrote:
on 2006-10-28 at 09:37 wrote:

All other male dogs "need" to be neutered.

No, all other male dogs do *not* "need" to be neutered. I
think there are some not inconsiderable risks to neutering
males. As I'm perfectly capable of keeping any dog of mine
from breeding, there is no social reason for me to neuter any
future dogs if I prefer not to.

Yep. There's more and more information out there that shows real health
consequences for neutered males. Increased hypothyroidism, increased ACL
injuries, increased prostate cancers, and more. My last male (before
this one) was neutered at around 3. Within a hear his thyroid went from
normal to absent and he started with symptoms of chronic active
hepatitis, a liver disease unknown in intact doberman males, but known
in bitches and neutered males. He had an early death.

I now have an intact male Min Pin and he's staying that way. He doesn't
"need" to be neutered, but he's also not going to be used *unless* he
finishes his championship (needs 4 more singles), gets some agility
titles, and passes a hip dysplasia/LCP exam as well as CERF and Patellar
Luxation. And even then I still might not ever use him.

Bitches are different. But I've come to believe that even with the girls
it's best to wait until they are fully mature to spay--around 2 is a
good time.

rec.pets.dogs: Mastiffs Breed-FAQ Mike McBee Dog info 0 November 18th 05 05:36 AM
switching from puppy to adult food question MauiJNP Dog health 2 June 26th 05 04:16 PM
Cost to high? Sg Dog health 62 October 3rd 03 09:24 PM
Cost to high? Sg Dog health 0 August 27th 03 03:43 AM