Old Chestnut? Dry V Canned Food??

Old October 28th 06, 09:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Trevor Aiston

Default Old Chestnut? Dry V Canned Food??

Just got a new puppy (14 weeks) old labrador/patterdal (we think) cross. I
have two other dogs another black lab cross and a collie cross.

Years ago I was advised by my vet to feed my lab dry only food because of
waeight & joint probs. Both dogs have been no been fed on dry food for many
years and are both v healthy.

But when I took my new pup for his 2nd set of shots and commented on the
amount he is peeings he said (same vet i think) that dogs should not be fed
purely on dry food, not natural! And to use a mix of dry and canned food.
Now totally confused about what to feed this new pup. Any help
appreciatted.

TIA

Trevor

Old October 28th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Marshall Lev Dermer

You can have the best of both worlds by adding
water to your
dog's kibble.

As for what is natural or not, at one time plenty
of diseases
like polio, cholera, TB, etc were quite "natural."
They are
not now because we know better.

--Marshall

Old October 29th 06, 10:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Iain Bishop

I personally think a balance is best. I just don't think that 100% of one
thing is the best way to go, I don't trust any food to give it as the sole
diet.
I give my dog (Golden Retriever) dry food in the morning with some meat from
one of those meat rolls, and then either fresh meat, fish or bones in the
evening, or a mush meal that I make (consisting of leftover meat, dairy and
veggies from our cooking).
Weight and joint problems? - Don't overfeed, and raw bones is great for
making their own bones strong.

Iain

www.pawstoplay.com.au

Dog Walking and Pet Minding in Sydneys Inner West