gettin tubby!

Old October 28th 06, 11:02 PM
Maddogs Maddogs is offline
Junior Member

Location: Scotland
Unhappy gettin tubby!

Dear dogbanter people,

I know this is a simple question and probably has an obvious answer but after castrating my German Wirehaired Pointer, he has gone chunky.

He isn't fat (you can feel his ribs) but you can balance a tray on his bum - it's gone really wide!

I have halfed his food and increased his exercise a bit but the poor fella is starving!

It seems obvious what to do - feed him less and excercise him more!! But I feel so cruel!

Does anyone know of anything that I can do, he is only 20 months so I don't know whether a low fat food would be good for him?

It must be due to a hormone imbalance or something, so surely there might be something that he can take that will correct the balance?

It's not the end of the world as he is still a lovely dog to look at and be with!!

It would be nice to get him back to normal though!!

Cheers guys.
Old October 29th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Melinda Shore

Default gettin tubby!

In article ,
Maddogs wrote:
Dear dogbanter people,

Aaaaaagh! Aaagh! Aaagh!

Does anyone know of anything that I can do, he is only 20 months so I
don't know whether a low fat food would be good for him?

It's not fat, it's calories. More exercise, fewer calories.

It must be due to a hormone imbalance or something, so surely there
might be something that he can take that will correct the balance?

It might be maturity, as well. Adolescent dogs are lanky.
More exercise, fewer calories. Oh - and no *banter.

What Republicans have done to the US's fiscal health:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061028/...a_the_bankrupt
Old October 29th 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Maddogs" wrote in message
Dear dogbanter people

...........this ain't dogbanter - it's Usenet.

He isn't fat (you can feel his ribs) but you can balance a tray on his
bum - it's gone really wide!

Does anyone know of anything that I can do, he is only 20 months so I
don't know whether a low fat food would be good for him?

.........At 20 months old he's not even mature. He may be putting on muscle
back there. If you can feel the dog's ribs easily, he's not fat. And no, I
wouldn't feed either a low protein or low fat to a young growing dog. What
exactly are you feeding?

Old October 30th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
King's Crown

My good friend's dog turned into a "table". Golden Retriever that was 120
pounds when it should have been 70. It was just terrible. Her mother was
feeding the dog behind her back and she just never paid attention that he
had gotten so big. A trip the vet of and ear infection and the vet about
fell over when saw how big the dog was. ANYHOW... the vet suggested diet
dog food and if the dog was still hungry canned pumpkin or canned green
beans. The dog just loves green beans. It's so funny. He likes the
pumpkin too just not as much as the beans. It's been 6 months and he's down
to 90 pounds and still losing.

Lynne

--
Maddogs

Old October 30th 06, 08:03 PM
Maddogs Maddogs is offline
Junior Member

Location: Scotland

Hello again, (I have replied to Lynnes post but write this for all the people who have replied).

I'd just like to thank everyone for their reply. I am worrying for nothing as he is only starting to grow bigger than the ideal shape. It's just that he is loosing his waist but the rest of him is fine - hence I can feel his ribs. It's almost like a person with a heavier back end! I have seen a condition score for dogs and it sais that you should see a waist and there isn't one!!

I'm not sure if I am up for feeding my dog pumpkin and green beans though as it would create an awful lot of wind!! It's a good thought though for the outdoor dog!

I'm feeding him on Royal canin (Maxi Adult) and I have found out recently that all dog food manufacturers over estimate the dosage that they write on the bag so I may not be giving him too little after all.

I am seeing his breeder soon and will ask her opinion on his growth stage and have a look at how big her dogs are.

I shall continue to feed him his food as it has all the goodness he needs for his health.

I have started to run the dogs a little more now too.

Thanks again everyone.

Beth