submissive urination

Old October 29th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

Default submissive urination

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 21:36:04 -0400, elegy
wrote:

mushroom is a 4(ish) year old apbt. i've had him not quite two years.
he's always been a soft, submissive dog. when i got him he'd roll and
pee if a strange man loomed over him. he'd pee at the vet's. that kind
of thing. he's gained a ton of confidence since i've had him and he
doesn't do that anymore.

he also used to fight and struggle and mouth when his nails were
trimmed. i did a lot of desensitization work and rewarding him for
tolerating nail trimming and that problem was fixed a long time ago.

a few months ago he started to submissive pee when i cut his nails.
he'd squirt once when i touched his first foot, and then he'd be done.
now he's started submissive urinating at other times- when he's got a
bone and i touch him, once when he had a bone and i called him over to
me. he came and dropped the bone at my feet and peed.

i haven't checked a urinalysis on him yet.

I would start with that - a trip to the vet.

Questions:

1.) was he neutered when you got him?

2.) any other spontaneous urination situations?

3.) in what position are you when you' doing his nails? touching
him when he has a bone?

4.) has be been formally obedience trained?

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

The Wisdom of Crowds
http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=102306B

U.S. Uneasy for a Reason
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art..._a_reason.html

Whatever you do, read this book (especially if you have children and/or grandchildren)!
America Alone - The End Of The World As We Know It, by Mark Steyn
http://216.92.123.84/product28.html

Where are (on average) 112 cars burned daily, with 15 attacks a day on police and emergency services?
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...414175,00.html

And why? I bet you can't guess.
Old October 29th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 22:10:23 -0400, elegy
wrote:

[]
i haven't checked a urinalysis on him yet.

I would start with that - a trip to the vet.

Questions:

1.) was he neutered when you got him?

he was neutered just before i got him, so about 2ish.

2.) any other spontaneous urination situations?

nope. he had some leakage issues maybe 16 months ago and was on proin
for about 3 months. he's been off for over a year with no leakage
since.

[...]

Then maybe there's been a reoccurrance of whatever was causing the
leakage 16 months ago?

I'd opt for a trip to vet.

I don't see any obvious physical behaviors (on your part) that might
account for it.

Old October 30th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 16:24:35 -0500, elegy
wrote:

my gut feeling says it's not the same thing because he's got a whole
slew of submissive body language going on as well. when he was leaky
before it was leaking during sleep.

but i'm definitely going to get him checked out. i'd feel like a real
jerk if i didn't and it turned out to be a physical problem down the
road.

I agree that the trip to the vet is a must regardless. You'd hate to
be beating yourself up if you found out later it was either the same
thing as before or something else medical.

As far as the whole submissive thing that appears to be going on, was
he ever a submissive type before? Lacey was a submissive type who
gained a lot of confidence but really little things could send her
back to belly crawling and peeing. OTOH, what appear to be little
things to us can also mess up a more confident dog. Sammie went
through a belly crawling stage about a week ago. I didn't realize he
was on top of my bed when I threw the covers back. He's small enough
that he went flying. He grabbed onto another part of the covers so he
didn't fall to the floor, but it spooked him. I yelled something in
surprise when I was afraid I had flung him on the floor but I think he
took it wrong. He went around the rest of the day like he was in big
trouble and had to suck up to me because I must have been really mad
at him to yell and throw him around! He doesn't speak English well
enough to explain the circumstances, but he did come out of it with
TLC and confidence building exercises. Now he's back to his old
snotty cocky self.
--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,