New Puppy in house with older dog

Old October 30th 06, 09:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default New Puppy in house with older dog

We have had Bob, a mini-doxie, for six years now. In that time he has
lost two doxie pals - a female standard and a female mini. Bob is
fixed, btw. Last night we introduced Max to Bob - a male mini doxie
just 8 weeks old. Bob doesn't seem to be too happy with Max. Normally
Bob sleeps curled up in our bed between my wife and I near our heads.
There was plenty of room for Bob there last night as the puppy slept on
the outside of the bed with my wife. But Bob wasn't having any of it.
He lay all the way at our feet and wold not budge no matter how much
we called.

What can I do to make Bob understand that Max is not competition and
that they are part of the same pack?

Old October 30th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sandy in OK

wrote:
We have had Bob, a mini-doxie, for six years now. In that time he has
lost two doxie pals - a female standard and a female mini. Bob is
fixed, btw. Last night we introduced Max to Bob - a male mini doxie
just 8 weeks old. Bob doesn't seem to be too happy with Max. Normally
Bob sleeps curled up in our bed between my wife and I near our heads.
There was plenty of room for Bob there last night as the puppy slept on
the outside of the bed with my wife. But Bob wasn't having any of it.
He lay all the way at our feet and wold not budge no matter how much
we called.

What can I do to make Bob understand that Max is not competition and
that they are part of the same pack?

Well, you know adjustments like a new addition to the household don't
take place in a single day. And a middle-aged adult male (neutered or
not) isn't likely to be wild about a baby puppy. Redirect the pup when
he annoys Bob, and if Bob tells the pup to get out of his face, as long
as it's a snark and not an attack (doesn't injure pup), I'd let it be.
That's perfectly normal behavior. Make sure that Bob has a chance to
get away from the pup when he becomes "too much" A little classical
conditioning might be in order here. When the puppy is present, Bob
gets good treats and lots of attention. When the puppy is not around,
you are kind of neutral towards Bob for a few days. So, soon puppy=good
stuff. No puppy = boring. Sandy in OK