frequency of nail trimming?

Old October 30th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

Default frequency of nail trimming?

My mutt has black nails that grow shockingly fast. I trim them once per
week with nail trimmers that have a guard so that I don't trim to much off
and get the quick. I'd like to get them to a shorter starting point by
trimming more frequently for a little while. How long does the quick take
to withdraw and how frequently can I trim? Also, is there such a thing as
nails that are too short?

--
Lynne
Old October 31st 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Lynne" wrote in message:

I'd like to get them to a shorter starting point by
trimming more frequently for a little while. How long does the quick take
to withdraw and how frequently can I trim?

If you use a Dremel, you can trim every day if you like. Whether the quick
will recede at all is dog dependent. I fought that battle with Pan's
ultra-long nails and had to give up for the sake of my sanity (and blood
pressure).

Also, is there such a thing as
nails that are too short?

If there is, I'm yet to see it.

Suja

Old October 31st 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

I know exactly what you mean, Lynn - I have a black Scottie with the
quickest growing nails ever - and they're black, so it's a real
struggle!

I wrote about it at
http://www.advice-on-pet-care-and-pe...ogs-Nails.html
- you may find it helpful to know we all struggle with this one!

Marion