submissive behavior

Old November 2nd 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default submissive behavior

i adopted a shelter dog today, an absolute sweetheart. one issue i have
is when i go to praise her
for pooping outside she absolutely reacts with what appears to be fear,
yelps and falls over and
exposes her belly. Would this indicate that she has suffered abuse in
the past? i suspect it does, i
just wanted confirmation, thanks.............

Old November 4th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Michael A. Ball

On 1 Nov 2006 18:48:43 -0800, wrote:

i adopted a shelter dog today, ... Would this indicate that she has suffered abuse in
the past? i suspect it does, i just wanted confirmation, thanks.............

That's a logical suspicion--until one gains more experience. As you've
already been informed, the answer is, "No". Does she duck, when you go
to pat her head, or run for cover, if you shout? Things like that are
more indicative of abuse, but still not conclusive.

One of the most important lessons I've learned about canine behavior,
especially in shelter dogs, is that their behavior reflects not only
what has been done to them, but also what has not been done to them, or
for them.

Your dog is probably more spoiled than fearful. But she might also be a
bit insecure, too. Going from an environment where she was spoiled, to a
shelter is a Big change.

My Chow Chow/Pekingnese, Sophie, is a shelter dog, and I'm not sure she
even knows what fear is. She often goes upside down, for belly rubbing.
I'm usually happy to oblige.

I think the verbal praise for going to the bathroom at the right place
and time is fine, but don't reward the unwanted behavior, the yelping
and going upset down. Since you know she enjoys belly rubs, make them
rewards for other things or for quality time. This is merely my opinion.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.