Safest chews...Do they exsist?

Old November 2nd 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Gary G

Default Safest chews...Do they exsist?

Well as the friend to 2 adopted Greyhounds I now am in search of a chew or
dental type chew which is both safe and might also help with tarter...I have
once used a greenie but my male did choke a wee bit trying to swallow a
chunk...I am aware of the necessity of always being with them when they are
given something but wonder if there is anything that is really safe...My
Mastiffs used to chew on cow bones but that may also be too much for the
Grey's...Anyway any help or thought would be appreciated...GG

Old November 2nd 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Thu, 02 Nov 2006 21:54:18 GMT, "Gary G"
wrote:

Well as the friend to 2 adopted Greyhounds I now am in search of a
chew or dental type chew which is both safe and might also help with
tarter...I have once used a greenie but my male did choke a wee bit
trying to swallow a chunk...I am aware of the necessity of always
being with them when they are given something but wonder if there is
anything that is really safe...My Mastiffs used to chew on cow bones
but that may also be too much for the Grey's...Anyway any help or
thought would be appreciated...GG

Try C.E.T. Dental Chews. I was never impressed with Greenies and don't
hold out hope for the new ones.

--
- Lynne
Old November 2nd 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Try C.E.T. Dental Chews.

Beat me to it! Ditto.

Old November 3rd 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathleen

Gary G wrote:

Well as the friend to 2 adopted Greyhounds I now am in search of a chew or
dental type chew which is both safe and might also help with tarter...I have
once used a greenie but my male did choke a wee bit trying to swallow a
chunk...I am aware of the necessity of always being with them when they are
given something but wonder if there is anything that is really safe...My
Mastiffs used to chew on cow bones but that may also be too much for the
Grey's...Anyway any help or thought would be appreciated...GG

I've had good luck with the cow ear puffs sold at the local farmer's
co-op. It's the middle/interior part of the ear that sets against and
down into the skull (rather than just the ear flap). It looks a lot
like a big Cinnabon roll.

The dogs consume them entirely but it generally takes at least an hour
for the BCs and substantially more than that for the JRT. I usually let
him finish about half then confiscate it to be finished the next day,
otherwise he'll bloody his gums with his fanatical gnawing.

The shape and texture do an awesome job of removing built up tartar and
getting rid of the accompanying dirty teeth fish breath. One per dog
per week does a good job of keeping their teeth nice and clean.

Kathleen

Old November 3rd 06, 08:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Gary G wrote:
Well as the friend to 2 adopted Greyhounds I now am in search of a chew or
dental type chew which is both safe and might also help with tarter...I have
once used a greenie but my male did choke a wee bit trying to swallow a
chunk...I am aware of the necessity of always being with them when they are
given something but wonder if there is anything that is really safe...My
Mastiffs used to chew on cow bones but that may also be too much for the
Grey's...Anyway any help or thought would be appreciated...GG

Have you thought about trying a dental Chew toy Rather than a edible
Chew?

Try a Dental Kong Stick I've pasted a description from the Pets2home
site
The Kong Dental Stick is designed to help remove plaque and food debris
from a dog's mouth as he chews on it. Specially designed grooves
close over teeth and gently clean and condition both teeth and gums,
even those at the back of the mouth.

Good ludk

Old November 3rd 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Fri, 03 Nov 2006 08:52:35 GMT, "
wrote:

Have you thought about trying a dental Chew toy Rather than a edible
Chew?

I just got one of these for Roxy. She's not what I would consider a
destructive chewer but has already torn off chunks of this thing.

--
Lynne
Old November 3rd 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Gary G

My Grey's don't seem very interested in rubber toys...I own everyone
although large and they really don't seem interested in chewing them...I
also gave smaller ones but still no interest...I have ordered some of the
CET type recommended but still have a small concern about choking...In
addition I need to find something that lasts more than 10 minutes...I may
try cow bones again...GG

"Lynne" wrote in message
m...
on Fri, 03 Nov 2006 08:52:35 GMT, "

Old November 3rd 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Fri, 03 Nov 2006 17:07:07 GMT, "Gary G"
wrote:

I have ordered some of the
CET type recommended but still have a small concern about choking...In
addition I need to find something that lasts more than 10 minutes.

The CET chews come in different sizes for different sized dogs. Did you
order the large? My experience with these is that they become soft after
some chewing and so I don't believe they pose a choking hazard. They have
also always lasted a good long while with my dogs. I hope your experience
is the same. Good luck!

--
Lynne
Old November 4th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Gary G

Thanks...Actually I ordered the extra large...The Grey's weigh around 70
lbs. so bigger is better I hope...GG
. 97.142...

Old November 13th 06, 08:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Gary D

Default Safest chews...Do they exists?

Be careful with the cow bones. They can break teeth. I have Greyhounds
and I was giving them knuckle and marrow bones. My female broke one of
her large molars on a marrow bone. If you give them any raw cow bones
make sure they can't bite straight down on them. It's better to give
them the round park of the knuckle bone that their teeth will just slide
off of and make sure you monitor them when they are chewing and take
away the bone before it gets too small and allows the dog to bite
straight down or swallow it. You should never let your dog chew anything
unattended.

Dog gentle with hand feeding but lunges for rawhide chews? Paul E. Schoen Dog behavior 49 September 29th 06 02:47 AM
Tripe chews Gwen Watson Dog behavior 176 March 6th 04 12:59 AM
Tripe chews Gwen Watson Dog behavior 0 March 3rd 04 06:05 PM
Tripe chews Gwen Watson Dog behavior 0 March 3rd 04 06:05 PM
Tripe chews Gwen Watson Dog behavior 0 March 3rd 04 06:05 PM