Chew Toys

Old November 3rd 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
jabadoodle

Default Chew Toys

I see another thread here about chew toys questioning their safety.

My dog loves the chewable rawhide bone I bought at Pet Co. It doesn't seem
unsafe to me. It's way to big to swallow and by the time he gets any piece
of it broken off it's a pretty small piece. Are these things safe?

Kind of like these:
http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Prod...yID_12105.aspx

Thanks!

Old November 4th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 18:51:51 -0500, "jabadoodle"
, clicked their heels and said:

I see another thread here about chew toys questioning their safety.

My dog loves the chewable rawhide bone I bought at Pet Co. It doesn't seem
unsafe to me. It's way to big to swallow and by the time he gets any piece
of it broken off it's a pretty small piece. Are these things safe?

Kind of like these:
http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Prod...yID_12105.aspx

I don't give rawhide for a zillion reasons. What kind of dog do you
have? The type or chewing they do has a big effect on how safe an
item may be.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old November 4th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

My dog loves the chewable rawhide bone I bought at Pet Co. It doesn't seem
unsafe to me. It's way to big to swallow and by the time he gets any piece
of it broken off it's a pretty small piece. Are these things safe?

Dogs tend to inhale when chewing vigorously. Even in large dogs the airway
can easily become blocked by small pieces of rawhide. We don't recommend
them at all. Only have to see one family heartbroken by the death of their
loved family pet to understand.

Old November 4th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Gary G

Although I tend to agree...All my dogs for almost the last 35 years chewed
rawhide...I don't use it today because of the fear of choking...That said
I'm in the room when they use chewing toys and could easily I believe deal
with the choking...Dogs do handle it quite well themselves...I have also
used raw dog bones frozen for years and I have seen the web sites discussing
the dangers....I've never poked out my eye with a stick nor do I know anyone
who has yet we are told early on of the dangers of being poked...I guess
what I wonder is are we going to far...Maybe we need to let dogs be
dogs...Not looking for a fight...Just wondering...GG

Old November 4th 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Although I tend to agree...All my dogs for almost the last 35 years chewed
rawhide...I don't use it today because of the fear of choking...That said
I'm in the room when they use chewing toys and could easily I believe deal
with the choking...Dogs do handle it quite well themselves...I have also
used raw dog bones frozen for years and I have seen the web sites
discussing the dangers....I've never poked out my eye with a stick nor do
I know anyone who has yet we are told early on of the dangers of being
poked...I guess what I wonder is are we going to far...Maybe we need to
let dogs be dogs...Not looking for a fight...Just wondering...GG

Dogs choking on manufactured chew toys and bones or having negative medical
consequences from ingestion is something we see in our practice. Consider
yourself lucky.

If a dog must chew - a large hempt-type rope knotted on both ends does well.
The fringe strings act as floss for the teeth too.

Old November 5th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
camaro

I used rawhide with my dogs once but one became ill, After doing some
reading I never again let them chew rawhide. Over the years the chew toy
that they enjoyed most was a Kong with a treat inside or some frozen peanut
butter. You can really hear the teeth scraping against the Kong. My dogs
are strong chewers and it's often months before they destroy the opening to
the Kong.

Camaro

Old November 5th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"camaro" wrote in message
.. .
I used rawhide with my dogs once but one became ill, After doing some
reading I never again let them chew rawhide. Over the years the chew toy
that they enjoyed most was a Kong with a treat inside or some frozen
peanut
butter. You can really hear the teeth scraping against the Kong. My dogs
are strong chewers and it's often months before they destroy the opening
the Kong.

Frozen peanut butter? That sounds interesting. How is it done?
You just put peanut butter in the freezer?

Old November 5th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 09:31:19 -0500, , clicked their
heels and said:

Frozen peanut butter? That sounds interesting. How is it done?
You just put peanut butter in the freezer?

You put the PB in the Kong, and put the Kong in the freezer.

Old November 5th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Melinda Shore

In article ,
Janet B wrote:
You put the PB in the Kong, and put the Kong in the freezer.

During the summer I like to use peanut butter to plug the
small hole, fill the Kong with low-sodium chicken broth, and
freeze them to make mega-chickensickles.

Freedom!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr5tx0lcyQc