Potty Training

Old November 4th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Macaw

Default Potty Training

Hi Everyone,
I am new to the group and I appologize if this has been addressed
recently. 3 weeks ago I adopted an APBT that I am guessing at approx 8
months of age. She was found wandering along the railroad yard,
starving and with a complete body skin infection. She was not house
trained in anyway, potty or manners, and I imagine that she was tossed
in someones backyard and forgotten about until she was either turned out

or escaped.
Everything physical has been addressed and turned around and she is
an absolute delight...she does not appear to have any emotional issues
at all. But I am having one problem with potty training. She
absolutely knows what she is to do when she is taken outside, but I
don't know how to make her understand that she is to ONLY go outside.
And it's not like her bladder is full and she can't hold it anymore.
It's more like she has a tiny bit of urine in her bladder and doesn't
understand that she can/should hold it for a time.
I know that as a neglected backyard dog that she has never had to
exercise control before, but how do I get the point across without
punishment? I am starting to think that some sort of punishment might
be needed. She is praised for voiding outdoors, but receives nothing
for peeing in the house. If I punish her, what can I do that makes her
understand what I want without being harsh?
Her name is Sasha Nimet. Sasha because she answers to it and "Nimet"

because it is Turkish for "Blessing" which she most definately is to me.

TIA for any ideas,

Pam

Old November 4th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Janet Puistonen

Macaw wrote:
Snip

But I am having one problem with potty training. She
absolutely knows what she is to do when she is taken outside, but I
don't know how to make her understand that she is to ONLY go outside.
And it's not like her bladder is full and she can't hold it anymore.
It's more like she has a tiny bit of urine in her bladder and doesn't
understand that she can/should hold it for a time.
I know that as a neglected backyard dog that she has never had to
exercise control before, but how do I get the point across without
punishment? I am starting to think that some sort of punishment might
be needed. She is praised for voiding outdoors, but receives nothing
for peeing in the house. If I punish her, what can I do that makes
her understand what I want without being harsh?

Punishment is not the way to go.

Crate training until she gets it. Keep her crated, including overnight,
taking her out for play sessions (with a potty break), eating (with a potty
break), and just plain potty breaks. When you take her out, always take her
to the same spot outdoors, and wait until she goes. Pick a phrase such as
"Go potty," and begin repeating it over and over when she begins to pee,
with mounting enthusiasm ending in big praise when she's done.

Also get something like Nature's Miracle to eradicate the scent of indoor
spots where she's had accidents.

You say it's only a little...are you sure it isn't submissive urination? Or
could she possible have a UTI?

Old November 7th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Elizabeth B Naime

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 21:17:05 GMT, "Janet Puistonen"
wrote:

If it's often just a little, do take Janet's advice and check for a
urinary infection. They're more often responsible for dribbling than
you might think!

Otherwise -- turn on the Mad-Eye Moody voice for those who recognize
the reference -- CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!!!

Crating is very good when you can't watch her closely. When you are
around the house together, keep her under close watch. Keep her on
leash if that's what it takes to keep her close to you. Watch and
learn the signs she gives when she's about to urinate -- some dogs are
much more obvious than others. The more often you can catch on BEFORE
she starts going, the better -- you do have to drop everything during
this training time whenever she's about to go and rush her outside,
with happy talk and it's helpful to use the same phrases such as "do
you need to go out?" When you do take her out (take her, don't just
put her in the yard) don't let her explore and sniff and have a run
about; stand there holding the far end of the leash and being
boooo-ring. Give her 10 minutes or so (I've found some dogs need a
longer time -- and a longer leash, clipped on at the door for this
purpose! -- in the beginning) and you should start to see her look to
the door or even go towards the door when she needs to go. When she is
definitely asking to go out to urinate, give her less time -- she has
the idea now, and you don't want to give her the idea that she can go
out and play just by asking, or at least not by asking in the same
way.

My dogs have just kind of developed a good sense of how much fuss to
make; our agreement is that if they REALLY NEED to go out, I will get
out of bed at oh-dark-thirty to let them out. This is why it's
important to teach them that going out to potty is ONLY for pottying,
not just 'cause you're bored, because I do NOT like to be woken up at
oh-dark-thirty on a workday morning!

Some dogs don't seem to "get" that they need to be demonstrative, to
learn what gets your attention and that they need to ask (loudly, if
it's three in the morning!). For these dogs, teach the dog to do
something specific -- ringing christmas bells or cowbells on a string
on the doorknob is a popular choice, but there are others, use your
imagination -- and then ask for that specific behavior every time you
are on the way out the door for a potty run. Dogs can learn to ring
the bells (or to ring a doorbell, if you put together one that they
can reach with nose or paw) so that you can come and let them out to
potty.

And talk to your vet. Urinary infections, puppy vaginitis and there
may be some other things can and will undermine even a dog who already
DOES know better, but just can't wait. Submissive or excitable
urination are dealt with in other ways. Find out what you've got in
the way, and you can find a way to move it out of your way even if
it's not as simple as just needing to be taught.

If you really need to email me, mow the lawn.