Eats Everything, Sticks, Rocks

Old November 6th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
michelle

Default Eats Everything, Sticks, Rocks

I am new to the group, I am sorry if this subject has been covered
before. I have a King Charles Spaniel, he eats everything. He goes in
the back yard and he eats sticks, rocks, branches anything he can find.
Not only outside but inside also. If I drop something on the floor
he's right there, picks it up and runs. How do I stop this?

Old November 6th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Mon, 06 Nov 2006 18:38:01 GMT, "michelle"
wrote:

I am new to the group, I am sorry if this subject has been covered
before. I have a King Charles Spaniel, he eats everything. He goes in
the back yard and he eats sticks, rocks, branches anything he can find.
Not only outside but inside also. If I drop something on the floor
he's right there, picks it up and runs. How do I stop this?

First, pick up all the rocks in your yard and remove them. I have a friend
with a GSD who has chewed rocks his entire life. He is 12 now and his
teeth are worn down to useless nubs and eating is quite difficult for him.
It's very sad.

As to training him to stop this behavior, I'll have to leave that to the
experts here.

--
Lynne
Old November 6th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 6 Nov 2006 10:38:01 -0800, "michelle"
wrote:

I am new to the group, I am sorry if this subject has been covered
before. I have a King Charles Spaniel, he eats everything. He goes in
the back yard and he eats sticks, rocks, branches anything he can find.

If this were, say, your infant daughter, what would you do then?

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

U.S. unemployment at rare historic low!
http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ory?id=2630721

If Bush is stupid, what exactly is Amy Guttman, University of Pennsylvania president?
http://www.democracy-project.com/archives/002893.html

Another "Inconvenient Truth," according to none other than the NYT. Bush not only didn't
lie about Saddam's WMDs, Saddam was only one year away from having a nuke!
http://instapundit.com/archives/033723.php

Liberals are against voter ID laws. Could this be why?
http://opinionjournal.com/editorial/...l?id=110009189

Missouri, Don’t Get Egg in Your Face!
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...M3MGU5ODc2NDM=

"Death throes," Democratic Party style:
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=17811

The horror. The horror.
http://hotair.com/archives/2006/10/3...oween-horrors/

Why someone needs to take John Kerry out back and pistol-whip him:
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/006237.htm

Let the games begin!
"The study also found that Democrats are more successful at voting after death than Republicans, by a margin
of four-to-one..."
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2...tml#1162144706

Whatever you do, read this book (especially if you have children and/or grandchildren)!
America Alone - The End Of The World As We Know It, by Mark Steyn
http://216.92.123.84/product28.html

Where are (on average) 112 cars burned daily, with 15 attacks a day on police and emergency services?
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...414175,00.html

And why? I bet you can't guess.
Old November 6th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article 2006110614034416807-montana@wildhackcominvalid,
montana wildhack wrote:
Teach your dog what "leave it" and "drop it" mean. I'd Google those and
read through the articles. Different people have different ideas about
how to train these commands and it can be helpful to recognize what
those differences are.

Pica is a psychological/neurological disorder and "drop it"
doesn't really help very much. I knew one very nice dog who
had to have surgery (rocks in the gut) a couple of times and
ultimately the owners decided that there really wasn't
anything they could do and the third time they had her
euthanized. This was in a medium-sized mushing kennel.
They kept her on sand but as soon as they let her off her
tieout for play time she'd make a beeline to the rocks.
Worse, she'd scoop rocks when they were out training.

I'd think, though, that in a one-dog household it should be
manageable as long as the owner accepts that they're going
to have to be a lot more vigilant than they'd have to be
with a more typical dog.

Freedom!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr5tx0lcyQc
Old November 6th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

montana wildhack wrote:
[...]

Robin has experience with dealing with a dog with pica, doesn't she?
Maybe she'll weigh in.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old November 6th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

clicked their heels and said:

I am new to the group, I am sorry if this subject has been covered
before. I have a King Charles Spaniel, he eats everything. He goes in
the back yard and he eats sticks, rocks, branches anything he can find.
Not only outside but inside also. If I drop something on the floor
he's right there, picks it up and runs. How do I stop this?

Leave it. Drop it. Down. Stay. In other words - train him to
respond to you and what you want.

--
Janet Boss
Old November 6th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 6 Nov 2006 14:41:41 -0500, (Melinda Shore), clicked
their heels and said:

They kept her on sand but as soon as they let her off her
tieout for play time she'd make a beeline to the rocks.
Worse, she'd scoop rocks when they were out training.

I'd think, though, that in a one-dog household it should be
manageable as long as the owner accepts that they're going
to have to be a lot more vigilant than they'd have to be
with a more typical dog.
--

I have friends who were fostering the "perfect" Golden. Only he ate
shale. Not as easy to see him do as actual rocks, but pretty

They opted for e-collar training instead. That was 3 years ago. The
habit was broken pretty quickly and they haven't used the collar in
almost as long.

I understand pica too well. It's not easy. But some simple steps of
management (more of the items than the dog) as well as the willingness
to use tools that can make a difference, can make it a whole lot
easier.

--
Janet Boss
Old November 7th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
jimjam

michelle wrote:
I am new to the group, I am sorry if this subject has been covered
before. I have a King Charles Spaniel, he eats everything. He goes in
the back yard and he eats sticks, rocks, branches anything he can find.
Not only outside but inside also. If I drop something on the floor
he's right there, picks it up and runs. How do I stop this?

Hi,

You must start 'tough love' immediately. Take her outside trips on a
leash until you break the habit. [I read several ways to break her,,
all found on this group].

My lab "JJ" ingested a wood screw [which are very sharp]. Fortunately,
I noticed the screw missing on the job I had and deduced "JJ" ate it.
I took her to the vet and xrayed her. Sure enough, there was the screw
[1 3/4 inch] along with something else.
Hoping to move the thing thru the system, JJ got 20 ounces of Bran over
a period of a several hours, waited two days, checking her waste,,,,,,
no screw. Another xray showed the screw had not moved and the vet said
it probably was impaled in the stomach wall. More than $1000.00 later,
surgery and JJ is fine. And, when I tell her to 'drop' it, she
immediately spits it out.

I was lucky. But luck is not good enough.

George

Old November 7th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Hi Michelle
I had the same problem with my pbt mix. He would bring the rocks to me
like they were a treasure and he would munch on them like they were T
bones.
Lynne mentioned picking up every rock in the yard. I would think if
that were so easy you would have done that. It is impossible for me as
I had a drainfield put in a couple years ago and to this day bite size
rocks surface.
Anyway, chewing on rocks will certainly destroy his teeth in time but
you already know that, that is why you posted.
I had a dog door when it started with my Jubal Early. He had free
access to the back yard. I had to close the dog door due to behavior
problems. Therefore I began monitoring his time in the back yard. I
distracted him by playing ball with him. do not do it as a trade off or
he will wear you out when he figures it out....Gee, if I show up with a
rock she will play with me. Just begin to play and hopefully he will
become distracted and ultimately lose interest. I am by no means an
expert, this worked for me...Jubal Early would bring me the rocks for
attention. Good luck....let us know how it goes and what works for
you....
PS My other method when you acrually see him doing it is of course to
say NO or drop it....leave it...whatever your buzz words are.

Be Free.....Judy

Old November 7th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
chiwowwow

michelle wrote:
I am new to the group, I am sorry if this subject has been covered
before. I have a King Charles Spaniel, he eats everything. He goes in
the back yard and he eats sticks, rocks, branches anything he can find.
Not only outside but inside also. If I drop something on the floor
he's right there, picks it up and runs. How do I stop this?

With any type of dog behavior, in order to curb it you have to learn to
"communicate" with your pooch in order to be effective. Might I
suggest looking here (www.thecaninecc.com) for a full range of online
help with your best friend?