urgent advice needed

Old November 11th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
April & Stewart

Default urgent advice needed

Hi guys

My neighbours dog has just given birth to 10 adorable puppies. Unfortuantly
these puppies did not come into the best of hands and yes I have already
reported this dog because of the fact she was so underweight and flew
ridden. Anyway mother has now delivered 10 puppies but I am rather worries,
I live in the UK and where we are it's pretty cold now especially at night,
Mum is shiverring but I guess this is due to the labour she's just gone
through but when I felt one of the puppies it was also rather cold and I'm
pretty worried because the night is just going to get colder, I'm sure now
we are in the minus degrees during the night time. The house where the dog
and puppies are does not have any heating whatsoever at the moment so is
there anything I can or should do to insure the puppies have a warm first
night. Also mum is riddled with fleas and they are also now on puppies so is
there anything I can do there. I can only do stuff tonight as owners have
gone out clubbing it and I said I would pop in to check on mum and babies,
after tonight well I dont know what will happen.

Old November 11th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

...so is there anything I can or should do to insure the puppies have a
warm first night. Also mum is riddled with fleas and they are also now on
puppies so is there anything I can do there. I can only do stuff tonight as
owners have gone out clubbing it and I said I would pop in to check on mum
and babies, after tonight well I dont know what will happen.

You can wrap hot water bottles in towels and place next to them. You can
fashion them out of any plastic bottle like a milk jug even. As for fleas,
you can treat the mother with a product like Advantage or Frontline, but you
have to have the right dose from the vet. Those fleas will literally suck
the life from those puppies. Legally, I don't know what you can do in your
country, but here in the states, humane societies can intervene if the life
of the dog and puppies is at stake due to neglect.

Old November 11th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"April & Stewart" wrote in message
I can only do stuff tonight as owners have
gone out clubbing it and I said I would pop in to check on mum and babies,
after tonight well I dont know what will happen.

...............Isn't there any straw or anything in the dog house? Can't you
call someone tonight? The police? If the mother is thin and full of fleas,
my guess is she'll end up with eclampsia trying to feed these puppies.

Old November 11th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
April & Stewart

..............Isn't there any straw or anything in the dog house? Can't
you
call someone tonight? The police? If the mother is thin and full of
fleas,
my guess is she'll end up with eclampsia trying to feed these puppies.

Hi Buglady

The dog is just on a duvet in the kitchen, I have already reported this dog
to our RSPCA which is an animal welfare place and when I spoke to the lady
she said that she would put it through as an urgent case. I think here in
the UK they have much more of a harder time removing animals than they do in
the USA. I keep popping round to check on the puppies every so often and
they seem to be doing okay but i'm worried about the fleas, the owner sure
won't get her checked out with the vets and my hands are tied as I can not
afford somebody else's vet bills if I could then I would. It's a sad sad
situation!!!!

Old November 12th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Elizabeth B Naime

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 23:53:40 -0000, "April & Stewart"
wrote:

Hot water bottles, great idea.

Do they have a fireplace? If you could scrounge some wood you could
warm things up a bit (you'd want to stay of course).

I think most of us in the USA assumed that if it was below freezing
where the dog was, she was outside. What's up with the cold house?
Human welfare agencies may help with the fuel to heat the house if
they really can't afford it. At least they do here in the US and my
impression is that the UK has rather better social services, by and
large.

If the rest of the house is warmer (which I doubt -- surely they know
their water pipes are in danger of breaking in a good freeze?) you
might also just move the dog to a warmer room. In fact, you might
think about that even if there's no heat at all, is there a warmer
room in the house?

--------------------------------------
If you really need to email me, mow the lawn.
Old November 12th 06, 12:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"April & Stewart" wrote in message
The dog is just on a duvet in the kitchen,

........If the dog is inside, see if you can find a big box for mama and
puppies - it will help keep them warmer.

.. I keep popping round to check on the puppies every so often and
they seem to be doing okay but i'm worried about the fleas,

.......Combing the mother for 10 minutes at a time will at least remove some
of the fleas. I don't know what's rated for newborn puppies - think
Advantage and Frontline both are for older puppies. Can you at least call a
vet and purchase the appropriate remedy? That shouldn't cost too much and
will at least give these puppies a chance.

Old November 12th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
April & Stewart

Hi Elizabeth

They have no heating because the pilot light is busted and the owners can
not be botherd to get of their back sides to phone the relevant people to
come and fix it. Mum and puppies did well on their first night and when I
checked them this morning they were all super duper. I just feel sorry for
those pups and the 4 year old child that lives in that house, it's only
going to get colder so I hope they sort it out real soon.

April

Old November 12th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
April & Stewart

Hi

Unfortuantly I couldnt afford to do that, I am on state benefits at the
moment until January/Febuary when my husband can get back to work, I would
go out and work full time but I have a 9 month old baby that depends on me
as hubby can not do all the chores that needs to be done until his operation
so we struggle ourselves as it is and basically only have the cash for
ourselves as a family, our 2 labradors Molly and Benson and our 6 rats. I am
completly skint at the moment so my hands are pretty tied. I did buy the
mother dog 4 tins of cheap dog food this morning, I completly understand
that she should be on a really good diet but there is only so much one can
do! If I had the money then I would go to the vets and beg for treatment and
also get the dog some quality food but I don't. I just wish someone like the
RSPCA would intervene, it's so frustrating.

April

ink.net...

Old November 12th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"April & Stewart" wrote in message
I am
completly skint at the moment so my hands are pretty tied. I did buy the
mother dog 4 tins of cheap dog food this morning,

..........you're a good soul. Hopefully the owners will get embarassed, but
then again some people are totally clueless. Gee, hope they had a good time
clubbing last night............bah.

.......you did what you could. Sometimes that's all we can do. I drove 50
miles from home today and saw a very thin dog walking very slowly down the
side of the road. He either had heartworm, was starving to death or both.
It always hurts my heart when I see stuff like this. That's why I ended up
with 9 animals. The inn is definitely full. I had passed the place I was
looking for and on my return trip he was nowhere to be found. I was
grateful........