A dog & canine forum. DogBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DogBanter forum » Dog forums » Dog health
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

My lab sheds excessive amount of hair.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 12th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default My lab sheds excessive amount of hair.

I have a Lab/Newfoundland mix . Every day i sweep up off the hardwood
floors a big ball of hair. I even use the shed blade several times a
week. It doesn't seem to cut down on the shedding. I feed him Nutro
canned food and Nutro dry with a little safflower oil for his coat. A
friend mentioned it might be the food. Is it common for my breed to
shed this much or should i change his diet? I was told Nutro was a good
brand to buy. Maybe it's not for every breed.

  #2  
Old November 12th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paula
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,726
Default My lab sheds excessive amount of hair.

On 11 Nov 2006 17:40:29 -0800, "
wrote:

I have a Lab/Newfoundland mix . Every day i sweep up off the hardwood
floors a big ball of hair. I even use the shed blade several times a
week. It doesn't seem to cut down on the shedding. I feed him Nutro
canned food and Nutro dry with a little safflower oil for his coat. A
friend mentioned it might be the food. Is it common for my breed to
shed this much or should i change his diet? I was told Nutro was a good
brand to buy. Maybe it's not for every breed.


I don't think it's the food. Labs are heavy shedders and newfs have
tons of coat. I have a GSD that produces more hair than daily
brushing and shed blading can keep up with, so I feel for you. But
sweeping isn't such a bad price to pay for a great companion, right?

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
so it's best to try to get along with them." Joe Bay
  #3  
Old November 12th 06, 12:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 323
Default My lab sheds excessive amount of hair.

I have to agree with Paula, labs shed alot. I had a Husky/Lab mix and he
shed year round and when it came time to blow coat..... it was like a white
fluff cloud of hair followed him everywhere.

The best thing to do is just keep up with the brushing and keep the vacumn
on hand.

Celeste


  #4  
Old November 12th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 863
Default My lab sheds excessive amount of hair.


wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Lab/Newfoundland mix . Every day i sweep up off the hardwood
floors a big ball of hair. I even use the shed blade several times a
week.


.......It's the change of season, no matter where you live! Better to brush
once daily right now. Dogs also seem to shed a lot all year round. It's
cuz of the light on in the house until the wee hours of the AM. Some hair
loss is responsive to light. So you could go to bed earlier! g

buglady
take out the dog before replying


  #5  
Old November 12th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,260
Default My lab sheds excessive amount of hair.

On 11 Nov 2006 17:40:29 -0800, "
, clicked their heels and said:

I even use the shed blade several times a
week.


Try an undercoat rake or furminator DAILY and you may get somewhere!
;-D

You've got a mix of heavy sheddign breeds, and one who has a ton of
coat to boot. Get used to groomin and vacuuming. It's a way of life!

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
  #6  
Old November 13th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Michael A. Ball
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 311
Default My lab sheds excessive amount of hair.

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:05:18 -0500, Janet B
wrote:

Try an undercoat rake or furminator DAILY and you may get somewhere!
;-D

You've got a mix of heavy sheddign breeds, and one who has a ton of
coat to boot. Get used to groomin and vacuuming. It's a way of life!


Amen. I couldn't agree more. I'm a Chow Chow person, and couldn't make
it without a great undercoat rake. PetSmart has a $7.00 undercoat rake
that I love. It has very thin tines of equal length.

For us, grooming time is Quality time. :-)

Besides, as someone once said, "Some of us simply consider dog hair a
condiment!" LOL



________________________
Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
  #7  
Old November 14th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default My lab sheds excessive amount of hair.

I wouldn't mind if my dog shed a ton of hair each day. He's too much
fun to worry about the shedding.But i do seem to find his hair
EVERYWHERE, dishes, clothes, computer keyboard- you name the spot,
there's hair! I thought he might have an allergy condition. I did buy
this shed balde i saw mentioned in the L.A. Times a couple of weeks ago
that i picked up at Petsmart. I works like the big shed blades but is
very compact and does the same thing. It's called a Bamboo shedder.?
It's fits in the palm of the hand. I don'
t know the exact name because i threw away the packaging but this
company makes alot of different grooming items. If i remember they have
a website. If you type in bamboo grooming supplies it will probably
take you to the website.
Michael A. Ball wrote:
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:05:18 -0500, Janet B
wrote:

Try an undercoat rake or furminator DAILY and you may get somewhere!
;-D

You've got a mix of heavy sheddign breeds, and one who has a ton of
coat to boot. Get used to groomin and vacuuming. It's a way of life!


Amen. I couldn't agree more. I'm a Chow Chow person, and couldn't make
it without a great undercoat rake. PetSmart has a $7.00 undercoat rake
that I love. It has very thin tines of equal length.

For us, grooming time is Quality time. :-)

Besides, as someone once said, "Some of us simply consider dog hair a
condiment!" LOL



________________________
Practice safe eating - always use condiments.


  #8  
Old November 14th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paula
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,726
Default My lab sheds excessive amount of hair.

On 13 Nov 2006 18:56:13 -0800, "
wrote:

I wouldn't mind if my dog shed a ton of hair each day. He's too much
fun to worry about the shedding.But i do seem to find his hair
EVERYWHERE, dishes, clothes, computer keyboard- you name the spot,
there's hair!


When my dog is blowing coat and there are even more tumbleweeds than
usual around the house, I go to the groomer. You can have them bathe
and brush a dog and dry them with a super powerful blow drier. The
whole process gets a lot of the loose hair out all at once. Sometimes
I am surprised at what appears to be a 10 pound weight loss just from
getting all the loose hair out!

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
so it's best to try to get along with them." Joe Bay
  #9  
Old November 14th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,408
Default My lab sheds excessive amount of hair.

Paula wrote in
:

On 13 Nov 2006 18:56:13 -0800, "
wrote:

I wouldn't mind if my dog shed a ton of hair each day. He's too much
fun to worry about the shedding.But i do seem to find his hair
EVERYWHERE, dishes, clothes, computer keyboard- you name the spot,
there's hair!


When my dog is blowing coat and there are even more tumbleweeds than
usual around the house, I go to the groomer. You can have them bathe
and brush a dog and dry them with a super powerful blow drier. The
whole process gets a lot of the loose hair out all at once. Sometimes
I am surprised at what appears to be a 10 pound weight loss just from
getting all the loose hair out!


No kidding. I only wish it worked that way on ME.

Tara
  #10  
Old November 15th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Carol Elder
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default My lab sheds excessive amount of hair.

Hi:

I have a malmute/shepard mix and he sheds tons. I came home one day and
my husband was vacuuming the dog - I was in shock.

Paula wrote:
On 13 Nov 2006 18:56:13 -0800, "
wrote:


I wouldn't mind if my dog shed a ton of hair each day. He's too much
fun to worry about the shedding.But i do seem to find his hair
EVERYWHERE, dishes, clothes, computer keyboard- you name the spot,
there's hair!



When my dog is blowing coat and there are even more tumbleweeds than
usual around the house, I go to the groomer. You can have them bathe
and brush a dog and dry them with a super powerful blow drier. The
whole process gets a lot of the loose hair out all at once. Sometimes
I am surprised at what appears to be a 10 pound weight loss just from
getting all the loose hair out!


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rec.pets.dogs: Havanese Breed-FAQ Schalene J. Dagutis Dog info 0 May 21st 06 05:21 AM
rec.pets.dogs: Havanese Breed-FAQ Schalene J. Dagutis Dog info 0 April 20th 06 05:33 AM
rec.pets.dogs: Havanese Breed-FAQ Schalene J. Dagutis Dog info 0 March 20th 06 05:31 AM
rec.pets.dogs: Havanese Breed-FAQ Schalene J. Dagutis Dog info 0 February 18th 06 05:25 AM
rec.pets.dogs: Havanese Breed-FAQ Schalene J. Dagutis Dog info 0 October 19th 05 05:35 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.2.0 (Unregistered)
Copyright 2004-2019 DogBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.