What breed is this dog?

Old November 13th 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
TM

Default What breed is this dog?

Forgive me for this silly question, but I was wondering if someone could
help us identify the breed of our new puppy.

Please see images at:
http://www.cs.usyd.edu.au/~tmdiep/dog.html

Thanks in advance.

Old November 13th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Paula

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:33:48 +1100, "TM" wrote:

Forgive me for this silly question, but I was wondering if someone could
help us identify the breed of our new puppy.

Please see images at:
http://www.cs.usyd.edu.au/~tmdiep/dog.html

There are many people here better at breed identification than I am,
but the puppy looks to have at least some Jack Russell Terrier to me.
It has a whole lot of cute in it, too!

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old November 13th 06, 08:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Liisa Sarakontu

"TM" wrote in news:4557f5b0$0$28219$5a62ac22@per-qv1-
newsreader-01.iinet.net.au:

Forgive me for this silly question, but I was wondering if someone could
help us identify the breed of our new puppy.
http://www.cs.usyd.edu.au/~tmdiep/dog.html

Impossible to tell for sure from such a young pup, and it might be
impossible to tell it later for sure. If you are still interested in the
breed question when the dog is little older, please take better photos (at
least one photo like a show dog photo, the dog is standing sideways) and
post the link again here.

Smallish, somewhat fluffy, white with sable patches. Most probably normal
leg length. Looks really a lot like Jack Russell, like Paula said, but
might be too "soft" for that, although coat type varies a lot in that
breed. My guess is JRT x Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

Liisa
Old November 13th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Janet B

clicked their heels and said:

Forgive me for this silly question, but I was wondering if someone could
help us identify the breed of our new puppy.

Please see images at:
http://www.cs.usyd.edu.au/~tmdiep/dog.html

Thanks in advance.

If I didn't see the pup's head, the rest of the body looks like a
Westie (West Highland White Terrier) puppy. My *guess* is Westie and
something else mixed. Could be JRT, Could be CKCS, but whatever it
is, VERY cute!

--
Janet Boss
Old November 13th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Liisa Sarakontu

Janet B wrote in
:

If I didn't see the pup's head, the rest of the body looks like a
Westie (West Highland White Terrier) puppy. My *guess* is Westie and
something else mixed.

Westies are SS solid dogs "under" their white coat, and so you couldn't get
that much white to a 1st gen Westie cross puppy.

Liisa
Old November 13th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Janet B

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:28:11 GMT, Liisa Sarakontu
, clicked their heels and said:

Westies are SS solid dogs "under" their white coat, and so you couldn't get
that much white to a 1st gen Westie cross puppy.

Thanks Liisa - I admit to knowing very, very little about color
genetics! The puppy is darling, but the back end did look "Westie" to
me. Guess not though! Oh well - so much for my guessing!

--
Janet Boss
Old November 14th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
MauiJNP

Please see images at:
http://www.cs.usyd.edu.au/~tmdiep/dog.html

There are many people here better at breed identification than I am,
but the puppy looks to have at least some Jack Russell Terrier to me.
It has a whole lot of cute in it, too!

that was my thoughts exactly, some JRT and a lot of cute!

what's his/her name?

Old November 14th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
TM

We got him just a couple of days ago and still fighting amongst the family
over names. Suggestions welcome!

Was told that he's a maltese terrier x shih tzu, but that didn't sound right
to me. I agree, he resembles a jack russell terrier.

Thanks for all the replies.

Old November 14th 06, 07:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Liisa Sarakontu

"TM" wrote in
:

Was told that he's a maltese terrier x shih tzu, but that didn't sound
right to me. I agree, he resembles a jack russell terrier.

"Maltese terrier"??? There isn't such a dog breed. Your pup isn't a cross
between a purebred Maltese dog and a purebred Shih Tzu, because such a
cross would be far fluffier at this age. But if that "Maltese terrier"
means a cross between Maltese and JRT (or another small terrier), then a
"Maltese terrier" and a Shih Tzu might be its parent. Although I'd expect
to see a shorter muzzle if one parent is a purebred Shih Tzu.

Is your pup a rescue, a pet shop pup or a genuine accident like "oops, I
really tried to guard Fluffie but now she is having pups after all"?

Maltese and Shih Tzu can have knee, hip and teeth problems. If a breeder
uses dogs just to produce crossbred pups, he hardly bothers to check the
health of the parents. A dose of JRT (if it is there) might mean a
healthier little pet in this case.

Liisa

Old November 15th 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Elizabeth B Naime

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:28:11 GMT, Liisa Sarakontu
, clicked their heels and said:

Westies are SS solid dogs "under" their white coat, and so you couldn't get
that much white to a 1st gen Westie cross puppy.

What about Cairns? Under the different (and in the case of the Westie,
excessively cute) show hairdo, they're structurally much the same.
I've never seen spotting on a Carin though; are they self-colored
also?

That said, I don't think I see Cairn or Westie in the puppy, but I do
think looking to terriers in general is right, and terriers are not my
strong suit.

100% adorably cute. Definitely!

He's already got that expression that may be a puppy thing but which I
personally associate with Terriers. That "Yes, I did. Forgive me. Come
on, you know you want to!" aka Cute Apologetic Look #12.

If you really need to email me, mow the lawn.