Greyhound diarrhea

Old November 14th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Gary G

Default Greyhound diarrhea

Besides switching foods I was told that canned 100% pumpkin added to food
could help for a few days...But should the pumpkin be cooked first?...GG

Old November 14th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Gary G" wrote in message:

Besides switching foods I was told that canned 100% pumpkin added to food
could help for a few days...But should the pumpkin be cooked first?...GG

The canned stuff doesn't need to be cooked. Just add a little bit, about a
tablespoon or so. If you have fresh pumpkin, you can cook until it is mushy
and add.

Suja

Old November 14th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:29:41 -0800, "Gary G"
wrote:

Besides switching foods I was told that canned 100% pumpkin added to food
could help for a few days...But should the pumpkin be cooked first?...GG

I wouldn't add canned pumpkin, or anything else, until/unless the dogs
actually have a problem. Not all dogs, not even all greyhounds, have
a problem with switching foods. Switch gradually, and if you have a
problem add yogurt or acidophilus capsules.

Mustang Sally

Old November 14th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

wrote:

Besides switching foods I was told that canned 100% pumpkin added to food
could help for a few days...But should the pumpkin be cooked first?...GG

Oops, I misread this. I think that yogurt or acidophilus capsules is
more effective for diarrhea than pumpkin, though pumpkin is fiber and
helpful to both. I've always used acidophilus, though, and I've dealt
with a lot of greyhound diarrhea. Are you sure the cause is the food?

Mustang Sally

Old November 14th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Gary G

Well,...The dog in all other ways is normal...He's been here 2 months now
and get it worse sometimes...He's also a 3 poop per walk guy and sometimes
the first is firm and then others not...They were on Canidae and I'm now
switching to Wellness...Seems it's gotten worse but I assumed it would take
a little while...Is there something I should consider or be looking
for?...GG

Old November 14th 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Gary G" wrote in message
Well,...The dog in all other ways is normal...He's been here 2 months now
and get it worse sometimes...He's also a 3 poop per walk guy and sometimes
the first is firm and then others not

...........stool sample. Coccidia, giardia, worms. If you've already done
this once, do it again.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old November 14th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 19:14:11 -0800, "Gary G"
wrote:

Well,...The dog in all other ways is normal...He's been here 2 months now
and get it worse sometimes...He's also a 3 poop per walk guy and sometimes
the first is firm and then others not...They were on Canidae and I'm now
switching to Wellness...Seems it's gotten worse but I assumed it would take
a little while...Is there something I should consider or be looking
for?...GG

It's often worthwhile to worm the dog again. Depending on how careful
the racing kennel was while he was on the track, he could have a case
of worms that was resistant to worming. Have you had the vet do a
fecal? If you've switched to Wellness and it seems worse, then
Wellness isn't your answer. If nothing has been found in his stool
and he's been wormed again, I'd consider Iams or another food with
beet pulp. We have found that to be helpful with chronic diarrhea,
though it's been a long time since I've used it and I don't know if
the formulation has changed. However, as I said before, I would give
the dog acidophilus capsules. Get the acidophilus with pectin; you
can find it at health food stores, Wal Mart and many drug stores.
Give him a couple of capsules with each meal, and some yogurt on his
food.

This can take awhile to clear up. If nothing helps after a couple
more months, you could be dealing with IBD. But if switching from
Canidae to Wellness didn't help, I wouldn't keep switching foods.

Mustang Sally

Old November 14th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:57:15 GMT, "buglady"
wrote:

"Gary G" wrote in message
Well,...The dog in all other ways is normal...He's been here 2 months now
and get it worse sometimes...He's also a 3 poop per walk guy and sometimes
the first is firm and then others not

..........stool sample. Coccidia, giardia, worms. If you've already done
this once, do it again.

This is a track dog, so if it's anything, it's probably worms.
Certainly a fecal should be done, but I'd reworm with Drontal Plus
regardless. If it's not parasites, it's most likely track dog
diarrhea (though could be IBD). I really think he should try some
acidophilus. I can't tell you how many greyhounds that's worked for.

Mustang Sally

Old November 15th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message
If it's not parasites, it's most likely track dog
diarrhea (though could be IBD). I really think he should try some
acidophilus. I can't tell you how many greyhounds that's worked for.

........Sally, what is track dog diarrhea? Do they regularly shoot these
dogs up with antibiotics? Sure, yes, probiotics - first thing I usually try
in my house!

Old November 15th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 04:37:29 GMT, "buglady"
wrote:

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message
.. .
If it's not parasites, it's most likely track dog
diarrhea (though could be IBD). I really think he should try some
acidophilus. I can't tell you how many greyhounds that's worked for.

.......Sally, what is track dog diarrhea? Do they regularly shoot these
dogs up with antibiotics? Sure, yes, probiotics - first thing I usually try
in my house!

It's just when greyhounds off the track have loose poop for some time
after transitioning into foster or permanent homes. No, they don't
regularly give them antibiotics. I don't think anyone really knows
what the cause is. Could be worms - - most track dogs have them, and
as you know it can take more than one deworming to get rid of them.
Could be stress. Could be dietary changes - - they're fed 3D meat on
the tracks. It's not uncommon for dogs recently off the track, and
boy, when they have blowout diarrhea it is not fun.

Mustang Sally

Baffeling Recurring Diarrhea for years [email protected] Dog health 2 July 15th 06 02:20 PM
big diarrhea problem Dog breeds 11 January 11th 06 04:25 AM
greyhound diet Rich Dog breeds 0 September 10th 04 08:56 PM
my greyhound has bone cancer Bill Kraus Dog health 0 October 26th 03 02:05 AM