buttered capsules

Old November 14th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

Default buttered capsules

Thank you to whoever it was who mentioned that they butter pills before
giving them to their dog (Mustang Sally, was that you?). Roxy's DES
capsules are hard for her to swallow and they sometimes get stuck in her
throat. I put a thin coat of butter on her dose tonight and it went right
down! She also loved the little bit of butter she got off my fingers.

Brilliant!

--
Lynne

"Every once in a while, the tables are turned and we get to share our lives
with an animal who takes care of their human." - Tara, rpdb
Old November 14th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paula

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 21:34:44 -0600, Lynne
wrote:

Thank you to whoever it was who mentioned that they butter pills before
giving them to their dog (Mustang Sally, was that you?). Roxy's DES
capsules are hard for her to swallow and they sometimes get stuck in her
throat. I put a thin coat of butter on her dose tonight and it went right
down! She also loved the little bit of butter she got off my fingers.

Brilliant!

You can also get a little bit of hot dog and push the pill inside it.
They gulp the hot dog and the pill goes with it. I figured this out
when my dog who had been on DES for years figured out how to avoid
peanut buttered pills, buttered pills, pills put down her throat...
Usually, she was fine with taking pills, but when she decided she
didn't want to take them, she was an avoidance genius. She never
passed up a bit of hot dog, though!

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old November 14th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky

Paula said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

Usually, she was fine with taking pills, but when she
decided she didn't want to take them, she was an avoidance
genius.

Luckily, I don't think that I'll ever have that problem with
foody Rocky. His twice-daily drugs involve a bitter liquid and
a chalky tablet - both go directly onto his meals, no pandering
involved. Hah!

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
Old November 14th 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paula

On 14 Nov 2006 05:18:59 GMT, Rocky wrote:

Paula said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

Usually, she was fine with taking pills, but when she
decided she didn't want to take them, she was an avoidance
genius.

Luckily, I don't think that I'll ever have that problem with
foody Rocky. His twice-daily drugs involve a bitter liquid and
a chalky tablet - both go directly onto his meals, no pandering
involved. Hah!

You are such a dog-abusing thug! I am going to kidnap Rocky so he can
get a bit of hot dog or peanut butter every once in a while instead of
having to take the nasty medicine straight up.

Old November 14th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

wrote:

Thank you to whoever it was who mentioned that they butter pills before
giving them to their dog (Mustang Sally, was that you?). Roxy's DES
capsules are hard for her to swallow and they sometimes get stuck in her
throat. I put a thin coat of butter on her dose tonight and it went right
down! She also loved the little bit of butter she got off my fingers.

Not me. I usually use cream cheese or peanut butter. Peanut butter
is good if you need a little entertainment.

Mustang Sally

Old November 15th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
AMB

On 14 Nov 2006 05:18:59 GMT, Rocky wrote:

a chalky tablet - both go directly onto his meals, no pandering
involved. Hah!

I pander. Baxter needs thyroid pills twice a day, so we've started
the "Special Breakfast"/"Special Supper" routine. I keep a can of wet
dog food in the fridge (Eukanuba Maintenance, 'cuz it comes with the
handy lid -- yes, I'm all about making this as simple as possible.)
Anyway, the pill goes in a teaspoon or so of food, dropped on his
regular food. Slurp and it's done.

This is a dog who could get pretty inventive with rejecting pills.
(Beagle = big lips and plenty of storage room). If he was a youngster
or we had multiple dogs, I might draw a line in the sand. But the boy
is an only child and he turns 13 this month. He takes a lot of
pleasure out of the routine, as do I.

Anne
and Baxter
(who did have to learn that waking me up extra early did NOT result in
an early meal!)