Feeding a Labrador Retriever

Old November 16th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

Default Feeding a Labrador Retriever

Do Labs need a large breed specific food?

--
Lynne

"Every once in a while, the tables are turned and we get to share our lives
with an animal who takes care of their human." - Tara, rpdb
Old November 16th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:27:04 -0600, Lynne
, clicked their heels and said:

Do Labs need a large breed specific food?

A lab puppy should be fed either LB puppy food or adult food. An
adult should be fed a quality adult food of your choice. Many people
feed dogs of all life stages, homemade or raw diets, but I prefer to
feed puppies a quality kibble.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old November 16th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Thu, 16 Nov 2006 21:34:14 GMT, Janet B
wrote:

A lab puppy should be fed either LB puppy food or adult food. An
adult should be fed a quality adult food of your choice. Many people
feed dogs of all life stages, homemade or raw diets, but I prefer to
feed puppies a quality kibble.

Thanks, Janet. This is for an adult. I was just wondering if there were
any advantages to feeding an LB food.

Old November 16th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Thu, 16 Nov 2006 22:49:00 GMT, "Suja" wrote:

"Lynne" wrote in message:

Thanks, Janet. This is for an adult.

^^^^^

Does "This" have a name? Have you been holding out on us?

Suja

I'm not holding out yet.. There *may* be news soon.

Old November 17th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara

Lynne wrote in
m:

wrote:

A lab puppy should be fed either LB puppy food or adult food. An
adult should be fed a quality adult food of your choice. Many people
feed dogs of all life stages, homemade or raw diets, but I prefer to
feed puppies a quality kibble.

Thanks, Janet. This is for an adult. I was just wondering if there
were any advantages to feeding an LB food.

I missed this (my own puppy has been up nights with a poor tummy)

Does this mean you got a Lab???????????

Fess up woman!

Tara
Old November 17th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Fri, 17 Nov 2006 19:50:39 GMT, Tara wrote:

I missed this (my own puppy has been up nights with a poor tummy)

Does this mean you got a Lab???????????

Fess up woman!

Tara

Not yet. More news soon, I hope!

I'm sorry your puppy is still having tummy problems. Is she getting any
better??

Old November 18th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara

Lynne wrote in news:Tbmdnav-
:

on Fri, 17 Nov 2006 19:50:39 GMT, Tara wrote:

I missed this (my own puppy has been up nights with a poor tummy)

Does this mean you got a Lab???????????

Fess up woman!

Tara

Not yet. More news soon, I hope!

I'm sorry your puppy is still having tummy problems. Is she getting

any
better??

This week ended up with me in tears more than once. Several sleepless
nights in a row (followed by 14 hour days.....interrupted by running
back and forth from home to let puppy out and run her and empty her so I
could go back to work). Her loose stools caused her to soil her crate on
Monday night. That set the tone, as early on it had taken a solid week
just to teach her *not* to soil her crate and then lay in it. House of
cards seemed to come tumblong down as I couldn't leave for more than 1
1/2 hours without her pooping in the crate (loose or not, didn't seem to
matter), and this was during the hardest part of my week. Been ripping
my hair out trying to figure out what the trigger is, since it hasn't
been a consistantly loose stool, but rather arbitrary. No other symptoms
to speak of. She'd get better for a day (though still sometimes pooped
in her crate....UGH), and then start having explosive diarrhea in the
middle of the night.

Took her in today for a fecal and asked them to check for Giardia. Yup,
sure enough. Really riddled with it too. THANK GOD! At least I have an
answer, and can fix it with some really cheap medication. Not knowing
what the triggers were, and trying to bend over backwards to
predict/plan for her needs when they changed from day to day (and hour
to hour some days) was making me nuts. Add to that stress an almost
total lack of sleep from Monday through Thursday nights and you have one
Psycho Dog Owning Woman.

She's on a high dose of Flagyll now, and my (lovely, wonderful, amazing,
I'd-marry-her-if-that-did-it-for-me, did I mention amazing?) Vet
suggested keeping her on it for a couple of days past what the usual
treatment plan is since her results showed she was so strongly loaded
with the buggers.

Thanks for asking.

And please keep us updated about your potential new pooch.

Tara
Old November 18th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky

Tara said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Vet
suggested keeping her on it for a couple of days past what
the usual treatment plan is since her results showed she
was so strongly loaded with the buggers.

Even lightly loaded, the common advice for giardia seems to be
double the normal dose period. I hope the Flagyl/metronidazole
works for you (it provided only a temporary measure for Rocky
years ago).

Another option is Panacur.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
Old November 18th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Sat, 18 Nov 2006 03:04:45 GMT, Tara wrote:

Took her in today for a fecal and asked them to check for Giardia. Yup,
sure enough. Really riddled with it too. THANK GOD! At least I have an
answer, and can fix it with some really cheap medication. Not knowing
what the triggers were, and trying to bend over backwards to
predict/plan for her needs when they changed from day to day (and hour
to hour some days) was making me nuts. Add to that stress an almost
total lack of sleep from Monday through Thursday nights and you have one
Psycho Dog Owning Woman.

Oh, Tara, how awful for both of you! I'm SO glad you got a diagnosis and
have her on the right medication. Giardia is awful bad. Poor pup, and
poor you! I hope the meds get her symptoms under control very quickly.
I'm sure everything else will be so much better when she is better.

As to the new dog, well yup, just got home about an hour ago. More info
soon.