Decided it time to feed my 12.5+ year $40 "Golden Retreiver" Homemade food. Stop me where I'm going wrong

Old November 17th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sam owens

Default Decided it time to feed my 12.5+ year $40 "Golden Retreiver" Homemade food. Stop me where I'm going wrong

Rudy is my boy and I want to feed him better. I always fed him Purina
One Chicken but now I am giving him ground steak for his evening meal
with rice. I have been reading rice isn't that great but not really
too harmful. I will add cooked peas, carrots. I found a list of
vegetables to avoid. The nightshades.

I see where bakers yeast is good but couldn't find how much.

Those of you that feed your dog this way let me know what your doing
please? If there are any other must avoids, besides chocolate please
let me know

Here is Rudy Bob. I had to Photoshop his eyes so they didn't glow :-)

http://www.coyoterock.net/pix/rudy.jpg

Thanks

Sam
Old November 17th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"sam owens" wrote in message
Rudy is my boy and I want to feed him better. I always fed him Purina
One Chicken but now I am giving him ground steak for his evening meal
with rice. I have been reading rice isn't that great but not really
too harmful. I will add cooked peas, carrots. I found a list of
vegetables to avoid. The nightshades.

I see where bakers yeast is good but couldn't find how much.

.........Not bakers yeast, nutritional yeast. It's a totally different
thing. The purpose is to supply B vitamins, but some dogs are allergic.
Eggs do it better. Please join some kind of dog nutrition group or get a
book with recipes. Your dog needs calcium. I suggest the book Pitcairn's
Natural Health of Dogs and Cats. And/or join K9Nutrition Yahoo group.

http://www.coyoterock.net/pix/rudy.jpg

......Looks like a happy old boy!

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old November 17th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sam owens

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 13:57:18 GMT, "buglady"
wrote:

Thanks for replying. Yahoo groups are terrible examples of how to do a
forum. I'll avoid that.

Sam

.. .

Old November 17th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

wrote:

Thanks for replying. Yahoo groups are terrible examples of how to do a
forum. I'll avoid that.

........well, they are annoying! But it's one of the best groups out there.
I don't know of any offhand that are not on Yahoo.

Old November 18th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sam owens

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 21:50:49 GMT, "buglady"
wrote:

Thanks for replying. Yahoo groups are terrible examples of how to do a
forum. I'll avoid that.

.......well, they are annoying! But it's one of the best groups out there.
I don't know of any offhand that are not on Yahoo.

Maybe I'll start one. What would be good to have it encompass.
I have a domain and forum software.

What a good time dinner was tonight. I cooked up ground steak, mashed
carrots, rice and peas. The peas stayed in the kids bowls until that
last cause they are tough for them to handle. They ate them but next
time I'll grind them up.

Sam

Old November 18th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paula

wrote:

Thanks for replying. Yahoo groups are terrible examples of how to do a
forum. I'll avoid that.

.......well, they are annoying! But it's one of the best groups out there.
I don't know of any offhand that are not on Yahoo.

Maybe I'll start one. What would be good to have it encompass.
I have a domain and forum software.

The main thing you want to have for your group is people who know dog
nutrition and raw diets. Those are more likely to be found in an
existing group than on any forum you set up. Go to one of the
established groups, even if you hate yahoo, and meet some people and
get some ideas (don't delay when you are already feeding your dog
homemade food and may be damaging his health if you are not doing it
right) and then if you hate yahoo, ask if they would like to join a
forum you set up with an easier interface or whatever. Starting one
of your own now isn't likely to get you the help you need when your
dog needs it, which is now.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old November 19th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sam owens

The main thing you want to have for your group is people who know dog
nutrition and raw diets. Those are more likely to be found in an
existing group than on any forum you set up. Go to one of the
established groups, even if you hate yahoo, and meet some people and
get some ideas (don't delay when you are already feeding your dog
homemade food and may be damaging his health if you are not doing it
right) and then if you hate yahoo, ask if they would like to join a
forum you set up with an easier interface or whatever. Starting one
of your own now isn't likely to get you the help you need when your
dog needs it, which is now.

Scuse me, but you're not scaring me and I'm not doing anything wrong
for my dogs health. He couldn't have made it this far if I was as
incompetent as I think you think I am. I've spent enough time
researching to learn that nobody knows because of the amount of
conflicting data out there and the data is from "experts."

I wouldn't ask anyone to join but would let people make their own
choice after presenting an alternative.

I don't like your tone. I don't sugar coat things but I don't wrap
them in elitism/snobbism as you do..

Sam

Old November 19th 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paula

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 23:06:19 -0600, sam owens wrote:

[...]

That's fine if you don't like my tone, but shouldn't you look beyond
tone to what is best for your dog? What you are feeding so far is not
sufficient for his nutritional needs. Perhaps he got this far by
eating kibble that is formulated for balanced nutrition but will not
get as far now that you have decided to feed what you are feeding. If
you really think that nobody knows what is best in home feeding, why
are you looking for any groups and why are you feeding your dog that
way? Elitism/snobbism is in the eye of the beholder. So far, you
know better than everybody how to run a forum and everyone should come
to you to give you advice without your having to go to where they
already are. You know better than the people writing books and
otherwise experts in the field. You have decided that ground steak
with a couple of vegetables is a great dinner for your dogs and it
sounds like you want to stick to that. Go for it, then, but don't
expect me to tell you that you must have all the answers. If you
really thought you did, why did you come here asking for advice? When
it comes to what your dog is eating, especially a senior dog, I
wouldn't keep feeding the dog what you don't know is giving him what
he needs while messing around with how to get better information. I
would make sure I knew the right way to go about it before I had him
eating it. I wouldn't make my dog the lab rat that might end up sick
if the experiment doesn't work. If that's elitist and snobbish, then
I guess that's what I am. I'm thinking, though, that those words
might not mean what you think they mean and perhaps they come to mind
because of a phenomenon known as projection.

Old November 19th 06, 12:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Paula" wrote in message
What you are feeding so far is not
sufficient for his nutritional needs. Perhaps he got this far by
eating kibble that is formulated for balanced nutrition but will not
get as far now that you have decided to feed what you are feeding.

.........there is some calcium in veges as long as they're cooked or
pulped/blended, if you choose the right ones. You can feed an unbalanced
diet for at least 90 days with no harm. Some of the vet speciality diets
are severely unbalanced. A true elimination diet for allergies is not
balanced either.

......But, I didn't see any organ meat in there either - like liver, which is
essential. To the OP, get a calcium source, add eggs, liver/kidney to the
tune of 10% of the whole, and since your dog is a senior add some EFAs with
Vit E. Vary the meat source also. Heart is a meat I'd rotate in often. A
can of sardines in water would be good once or twice a week.

Old November 19th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara

Paula wrote in
:

everyone should come
to you to give you advice without your having to go to where they
already are.

That's really it in a nutshell. Advice isn't easy enough to come by online,
now people are expected to deliver?

Tara