How cold is too cold?

Old November 17th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Kdf

Default How cold is too cold?

Here is my question:

What is your experience with the weather and beagles? How cold is too cold
for a beagle to be comfortable outside for a couple nights at a time? We
have a insulated dog house (with heavy door flaps) that is elevated and
under a covered porch. That dog house also has a pet-approved warming pad
from PetSmart inside of it. Our beagle spends our work day outside, but is
inside at night. If we had to go away for a couple of nights will she be
okay? Of course, we have arranged someone to come by and feed her, water
her, and walk her.

It is projected to fall to around 30 degree farenheit for two of the nights
we may be gone with highs in the upper 40s to mid 50s.

Please advise.

Old November 17th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

If the dog doesn't spend nights outside then why start I don't think it's
fair to put her out when she's an inside dog. Take her and board her the
few days you will be away.

Celeste

ink.net...

Old November 17th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Kdf

I probably should have clarified that she stays outside all day even in the
winter. So this would be a small change in that she will be out all
day/night for a couple of days. She has her winter coat now. She was also
a pound puppy who was a physical and emotional wreck from being in the pound
so we hesitate to board her becuase we do not think she will do well at all.

news:[email protected]

Old November 17th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Fri, 17 Nov 2006 02:20:59 GMT, "Kdf" wrote:

I probably should have clarified that she stays outside all day even
in the winter. So this would be a small change in that she will be
out all day/night for a couple of days. She has her winter coat now.
She was also a pound puppy who was a physical and emotional wreck from
being in the pound so we hesitate to board her becuase we do not think
she will do well at all.

I think it would be cruel to leave this dog outside at night. Can't
whoever is taking care of her let her in at night and back out in the
morning?? I would never leave my dog outside alone at night, regardless of
the temperatures. Add to that your girl may howl out of loneliness and
**** off your neighbors.

--
Lynne

"Every once in a while, the tables are turned and we get to share our lives
with an animal who takes care of their human." - Tara, rpdb
Old November 17th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Melinda Shore

In article et,
Kdf wrote:
I probably should have clarified that she stays outside all day even in the
winter. So this would be a small change in that she will be out all
day/night for a couple of days.

Christ.

Old November 17th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky

"Kdf" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

I probably should have clarified that she stays outside all
day even in the winter. So this would be a small change in
that she will be out all day/night for a couple of days.
She has her winter coat now. She was also a pound puppy
who was a physical and emotional wreck from being in the
pound so we hesitate to board her becuase we do not think
she will do well at all.

How would she not do well?

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
Old November 17th 06, 07:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jim

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
In article et,
Kdf wrote:

Christ.

What has religion got to do with this issue?

Old November 17th 06, 11:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
shelly

Kdf wrote:

Christ.

What has religion got to do with this issue?

It makes the Baby Jeebus weep?

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old November 17th 06, 11:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
shelly

Kdf wrote:
I probably should have clarified that she stays outside all day even in the
winter. So this would be a small change in that she will be out all
day/night for a couple of days. She has her winter coat now. She was also
a pound puppy who was a physical and emotional wreck from being in the pound
so we hesitate to board her becuase we do not think she will do well at all.

I wouldn't leave a dog outside by itself, period, just to let you
know I'm hugely biased on this issue. That said, I would be
concerned that leaving her out for two whole days will create
problems that aren't already there, like barking, howling, digging,
chewing, etc. She's going to be bored to tears and stressed at
being banished and is likely to find unacceptable ways to occupy
herself. That behavior can quickly become habitual, making it
impossible to leave her out even during the daytime.

As someone who lived about a half mile from a bored Beagle, I can
guarantee you that they are **loud** and obnoxious when they
vocalize. If I were one of your neighbors, and not particularly
fond of animals to begin with, I'd be sorely tempted to solve the
inevitable noise problem myself, by either killing the dog or
dumping it at the pound. Because I know all too well what sort of
mischief dogs can get up to when left outdoors alone, and because I
know that there are folks who have no compunction about taking
matters into their own hands, I do my best to make sure my dog is
never put in a position where she will tempt others to harm her.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old November 17th 06, 11:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Melinda Shore

In article ,
shelly wrote:
It makes the Baby Jeebus weep?

I've just read a number of incidents this week where
something awful happened to a dog and the clueless g-ddamn
owner clearly never considered how his or her own behavior
contributed to what happened. One in particular is from a
really bad repeat offender who leaves a trail of calamity in
his wake and clearly thinks he's a victim of bad luck when
his dogs are actually the victims, of this guy's negligence
and inattention. And these people will swear they love
their dogs (and they almost certainly do) and would never do
anything to hurt them, yet here we are.

fyi on cold tail Cate Dog behavior 36 May 30th 04 06:13 PM
fyi on cold tail Cate Dog behavior 0 May 28th 04 08:45 PM
fyi on cold tail Cate Dog behavior 0 May 28th 04 08:45 PM