nose discharge german shepherd

Old November 17th 06, 08:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
gordon

Default nose discharge german shepherd

Has any one had experience with a diagnosis of "idiopathic nasal discharge"
in their dogs and if so what was any outcome. I have had three vets look and
as yet no one can give a diagnosis let alone a prognosis. Has been going on
six months.

Old November 17th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"gordon" wrote in message
Has any one had experience with a diagnosis of "idiopathic nasal

discharge"
in their dogs and if so what was any outcome. I have had three vets look

and
as yet no one can give a diagnosis let alone a prognosis. Has been going

on
six months.

..........what have they done in the way of diagnostics? Has the nose been
scope, X-rayed?

Old November 17th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

.........what have they done in the way of diagnostics? Has the nose been
scope, X-rayed?

The type of x-ray is important too.

Old November 19th 06, 12:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
gordon

Hi, thanks for your reply.
she has been x-rayed from top bottom and side along with rhinoscope and
otoscope plus blood tests.No results as yet and this is now the fourth week.
I cannot confirm what type of x-ray but they certainly do want us to do both
c t and m r i investigations at a cost of $1000 plus and we do not have this
sort of money on hand.
We would get it if we had some idea of what is wrong and the expense will
give a definate diagnosis.

Thanks Gordon

Old November 20th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"gordon" wrote in message
she has been x-rayed from top bottom and side along with rhinoscope and
otoscope plus blood tests.No results as yet and this is now the fourth

week.
I cannot confirm what type of x-ray but they certainly do want us to do

both
c t and m r i investigations at a cost of $1000 plus and we do not have

this
sort of money on hand.
We would get it if we had some idea of what is wrong and the expense will
give a definate diagnosis.

........boy I hate these situations - so frustrating. Plus one can't help
obsess about something bad going on. I'm assuming the X-rays showed nothing
wrong with teeth? How about cultures? Flushing? And the color of the
discharge matters too. Apparently allergies can cause nasal discharge,
though it usually involves scratching also:
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/nasal.asp

.......Haven't changed the diet recently, sprayed the house/yard or moved
have you? Or took your dog somewhere new for a run? It helps to look at
all these outside/enviornmental things to see if there's anything that can
be pinpointed. May be totally irrelevant, but you never really know.

.......If they haven't done flushing, then I think I'd be tempted to try that
first. The problem with having MRIs and such around is that everyone would
rather do that than run through the old diagnostic tests. Try asking your
vet if MRI wasn't available what the next logical step would be. Certainly
if it would turn out to be allergies of some sort, I don't think the MRI is
going to tell you much. OTOH CT scan is mentioned as being more helpful
than X-rays because of the complexities and hidden cavities of the nose:
http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB...00/PR00197.htm

........a tough situation.........let us know what happens. Everytime
someone posts back with outcome/diagnosis, it can help someone else looking
for answers.

Old November 22nd 06, 11:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
gordon

Hello, We have gone ahead with the m.r.i and the results are no cancer or
tumour thank god, but no definitive answer to her problems other than
a statement that it :"may:" be chronic rhinitis but they will repeat all the
tests and do an immune assay as well. The say the results show clearly that
there is no turbinate damage. Will keep all informed.
Gordon
"buglady" wrote in message
k.net...

Old November 22nd 06, 12:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"gordon" wrote in message
Hello, We have gone ahead with the m.r.i and the results are no cancer or
tumour thank god, but no definitive answer to her problems other than
a statement that it :"may:" be chronic rhinitis

........well thank goodness for that at least! Why not try a hypoallergenic
diet?