For Matt--tunnelers course

Old November 17th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

Default For Matt--tunnelers course

Here's a fun one. 4-5 and 9-10 are real challenges when a dog is going
absolutely full speed...

http://www.totaldobe.com/images/tunnelers.gif

Oh and on this one I sprained my ankle. Thought I could do a front cross
between 3 and for. Stoopid, stoopid me. Cala took me out. I rolled
around a bit thinking, OW!, then I got back up and had a limping but
clean run. Unfortunately I rolled around for .12 seconds too long...

Old November 17th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sionnach

"Robin Nuttall" wrote:

.. Thought I could do a front cross
between 3 and for. Stoopid, stoopid me. Cala took me out. I rolled around
a bit thinking, OW!, then I got back up and had a limping but clean run.

Ouch! Hope it's feeling better.

I don't think I've ever done a front cross in tunnelers, even with Brenin -
too much potential for disaster. G Rear crosses, switch crosses, and
blinds, yes.
Blind crosses are definitely the most effective with Morag, since even if I
don't complete the cross in time, she'll key to my dropped hand and cross to
the correct side.
Then again, I tend to avoid front crosses most of the time anyway, since in
most circumstances, they waste time, have higher potential for misdirection
if my timing's off, and the pivot's not the greatest thing for my knees. G

With Rocsi, I had a unique tunnel-only cross which essentially was a rear
blind: let her shoot out of the tunnel, then cross behind her - using the
same sort of diagonal as for a blind - and call her just as she passed. IOW,
she came out of the tunnel not knowing where I was, then saw me as I crossed
behind, and turned to me. Worked perfectly, for her.
Which, btw, I can't take credit for; Debi Hutchinson, who knew Rocsi well,
suggested it to me at a trial.

Old November 17th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sionnach

"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message
Here's a fun one. 4-5 and 9-10 are real challenges when a dog is going
absolutely full speed...

I just looked at the file; looks like a fun course!

I would never have gone near #4. I'd stay back by the end of #2 and send to
#3; as soon as the dog was committed to #3, I'd move back to the middle or
end of #4 (depending on which dog I was running) and CALL the dog to #4. As
soon as the dog is headed to #4, I'd move out to a spot which would be just
below the spot marked "9" on the map, stand with my left side towards the
exit of 4, catch the dog with my left hand (dog would see me already facing
#5 as s/he exits the tunnel) and switch the dog into #5.

Old November 17th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

Robin Nuttall said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Here's a fun one. 4-5 and 9-10 are real challenges when a
dog is going absolutely full speed...

http://www.totaldobe.com/images/tunnelers.gif

Straight tunnels and fast dog!? Gad.

I'd have been tempted to handle the opening from the general
area of the left #8 entrance, the middle from between the
righmost two straight tunnels, and the closing part way down
from the right of tunnel entrance 10, running for all I was
worth to 11.

Oh and on this one I sprained my ankle. Thought I could do
a front cross between 3 and for. Stoopid, stoopid me. Cala
took me out. I rolled around a bit thinking, OW!, then I
got back up and had a limping but clean run. Unfortunately
I rolled around for .12 seconds too long...

I almost went down on that jumpers course I described earlier
- luckily I "almost twisted" my good ankle. I don't do front
crosses on speed courses - that's just asking for hilarity.

Old November 18th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

Rocky wrote:
Robin Nuttall said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Here's a fun one. 4-5 and 9-10 are real challenges when a
dog is going absolutely full speed...

http://www.totaldobe.com/images/tunnelers.gif

Straight tunnels and fast dog!? Gad.

Pretty much all NADAC tunnelers have straight tunnels going to traps in
some form or another.

I'd have been tempted to handle the opening from the general
area of the left #8 entrance, the middle from between the
righmost two straight tunnels, and the closing part way down
from the right of tunnel entrance 10, running for all I was
worth to 11.

The thing is, Cala will shoot right past me to anything I'm near. I
actually thought I could do that front cross because I led out almost to
3 before she broke her startline stay. And 3 was a 20' tunnel and a
ways out from 2. Stoopit decision. But she tends to pull to the side she
last saw me on, with the aid of verbals. Hence the attempt to FC. After
that I pretty much stood in the middle and called her to stuff then just
pushed her through the last two.

#5 as s/he exits the tunnel) and switch the dog into #5.

Like I say, catching Cala and flipping her as she leaves a tunnel
doesn't work for me. She doesn't cue well from that, but cues better
from me behind her. The only place I wanted to get a vantage point to
was those first three tunnels, then from there it was standing between
the right side straight tunnels and calling directionals.
Old November 21st 06, 08:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sionnach

And Matt wrote:

I almost went down on that jumpers course I described earlier - luckily I
"almost twisted" my good ankle. I don't do front crosses on speed
courses - that's just asking for hilarity.

Speaking of falling on course.... my years in judo saved me again yesterday
(in Tunnelers, incidentally).
I had directed Mw to one end of a tunnel from the other end of it, then
slide-stepped backwards with my left foot, intending to pivot on the toe and
cross to the other side (to catch her as she exited).
However, I was closer to the tunnel than I realized, and caught my heel on
the sandbag, which naturally flipped me straight backwards. Thankfully, my
judo training kicked in, and I apparently executed a perfect backwards tuck
and roll, coming back to my feet before she was out of the tunnel. (All I
remember is feeling my heel catch, then coming to my feet and looking for my
dog.)
However, I was discombobulated enough that I couldn't remember where we
were supposed to go next. Nice thing about tunnelers, though, is that you
can pretty much send the dog anywhere and find a way to get off the course!
I was laughing too hard to finish the course anyway. G

More seriously, I really do think most agility handlers would benefit from
having some breakfall training - that's actually the third or fourth time
mine has saved me from getting hurt at an agility trial.

Old November 21st 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

"Sionnach" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

More seriously, I really do think most agility handlers
would benefit from having some breakfall training - that's
actually the third or fourth time mine has saved me from
getting hurt at an agility trial.

The breakfall work I did to get to that Shotokan Karate blue
belt has served me well on icy sidewalks and in the agility
ring.

Old November 21st 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

Rocky wrote:
"Sionnach" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

More seriously, I really do think most agility handlers
would benefit from having some breakfall training - that's
actually the third or fourth time mine has saved me from
getting hurt at an agility trial.

The breakfall work I did to get to that Shotokan Karate blue
belt has served me well on icy sidewalks and in the agility
ring.

I've never had judo, but these days I'm somewhat round, so hey, rolling
is pretty darn easy!