Knowing when is the right time.

Old November 18th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
johnhenri

Default Knowing when is the right time.

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message
Well, now that I've finished and sold the house I was renovating (it was
shown 68 times in 3 weeks)...I can start focusing back on my home life,
family
and dogs.
Lucee is cause for concern. She's the 14 yo Rat Terrier. She's not
friendly, she's not outgoing and never has been. She's a GOOD dog. In
fact, her whole life she worried herself sick that she had to be a good

dog.
To the point that you could tell that she just couldn't relax ever. Well,
with her aging problems and failing eyesight and because I'm home now

24/7,
I see more degeneration.
I don't know exactly physically what's going on with her, and as I've

stated
before, I'm not willing to invest a lot of vet money in finding out what I
don't expect to cure. She has lots of "lumps". In fact, we call her our
limpy, lumpy dog. (Of course, arthritis has its hold on her, and I can

tell
that distresses her, she used to boing boing and jump up down and even up

in
to my arms so I didn't have to pick her up.) Some of the lumps feel like
fatty deposits, they're soft and squishy. But she has a couple that are in
the lower spine and kidney area. I suspect some sort of malignancy. Her
appetite is good, but she is losing a bit of weight. Her coat is healthy,
not as thick, but not dry and scaly. She drinks constantly and pees just

as
much, but can hold her bladder and ask to go outside. The vet says
(guessing) he thinks it's some sort of diabetes. I'm not so sure about
that. Her eyesight is poor. Cataracts. Poor thing, running up stairs,
misses steps and slams her self into them, and I know she clobbers herself
pretty hard.
And lately a needy, panicky kind of dementia. It's a particular kind of
anxiety that I saw in my dad (who recently died, he had severe dementia)
and I see the same mannerisms, the same blank, scared look in her eyes.
I see her upset at herself for her failings. I don't know if her mental
anguish is greater than her physical pain. Or if I'm qualified enough to
evaluate that. I've always said that I'd put her down when she got too
uncomfortable. I am wondering if her emotional turmoil is considered
painful. I honestly don't think she'll make it much past the winter, being
viable. The cold already looks as if it's hard on her. She is not my

heart
dog, but still has been a valuable part of my life and my companion for a
looooong time. I don't want to deprive her of anything..but it appears

that
she's only getting more distressed.
Perry

[...]

You know, when we get our dogs as puppies or young adults, we know their
relative life span. We know we will lose them in X amount of years,
approximately. WE KNOW IT.

But I still don't believe it and it always comes as a huge shock to me.
It's always too soon.

Why, you just got here yesterday. Stick around.

It's so hard watching your puppy that you just brought home aging.

I'm sorry Perry.
Karla

Old November 24th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Perry,
I am so very sorry that poor little Lucee is struggling with life. I
know it is tough to know when, regardless of the situation. This little
girl sounds like a stoic little warrior.
Of course, I do not have the answer. I just think you are wise to
consider her mental pain (dementia) equal to any physical pain. I know
that you will make the right decision for her. I can feel that she
trusts you and depends on you.

Be Free.....Judy

White Bull Terrier Admin Dog breeds 27 September 6th 05 01:53 PM
White Bull Terrier AnimalBehaviorForensicSciencesResearchLaboratory@H Dog behavior 1 September 6th 05 01:39 PM
I am new here and this has probably been asked a million times... skeer27 Dog behavior 2 September 2nd 05 03:34 AM
Puppy Growling and Attacking me when he has a bone Simon Adebisi Dog health 24 July 31st 05 11:45 PM