bad mix

Old September 20th 03, 05:22 AM
Robin

Default bad mix

I have a dog, Charlie, she is a half Golden Retriever half Chow-chow. Odd
mix I know... one is smart and loyal, the other dumb and mean-- but she is
the prettiest dog in the world!! I am serious! Anyway.. She is really
Loyal to me, very protective, so protective that when someone comes over, or
she sees someone get near me in the lightest bit of a threatening manner she
will bark and snap and just go crazy. She's never gotten used to anyone who
doesn't live in the house, and if someone comes over she barks all the time
unless I'm with her at all times.
She's four and a half now, so it's difficult to condition her to be
around people, and she's a rescue dog (which I think she may have been
abused, which is another reason why she acts the way she does). So does
anyone have any tips. Anything I can do when I have company?

Smiles,
Robin

Old September 20th 03, 05:54 AM
Tara O.

"Robin" wrote in message
[...]

You may just have to either put her in another room or in a down/stay. This
sounds like a typical Chow trait to me (at least of the byb variety in my
neck of the woods). I've also heard, but I don't know how true it is, that
Goldens can be aloof & protective when strangers are over as well. My
husband used to have a roommate who had a Chow and he swears that dog would
only let a handful of people into their apartment. If it was anyone other
than those few people, the dog would be too aggressive and have to be put in
a separate room and she was raised around people from puppyhood.

--
Tara

Old September 20th 03, 03:10 PM
Mary Peret

Until you can get her desensitized to people coming in, your safest bet IMO
(for your visitors and for your dog) is to invest in a crate. Steel clips
will keep all but the most serious dogs from busting out of a wire crate.
In my experience, a dog can do less damage to your home when put in a crate.
If you lock your dog in another room, there is a potential for her to do
damage to your door casings, your door, and possibly other belongings in her
desire to protect you from your visitors.

Most dogs exhibit a natural protectiveness of their home and pack. It is
normal for a dog to behave this way, your key will be to find a way to work
with your dog that will help her get used to people coming in and to protect
your visitors from her well-meaning protective behavior. If I were you, I
would employ the services of a reputable behaviourist in your area who can
come to your home for a few private sessions and work with you and Charlie
to find the best way to help her overcome this situation. It can cost, but
it is worth it in the long run for the both of you.

Best of luck,
Mary

Old September 22nd 03, 04:25 AM
susan chen

I just saw a segment on Animal Planet on this very subject.
Since I don't have this problem, I didn't listen closely
but the man had a helper who "came to the door" Then
He used treaats, positive reinforcement, many times so that
the dog experienced a really good time with company arriving.
I think the visitor even gave the dog a treat. Pet, pet pet
happy happy happy. good girl Good girl. Barking was
met with a firm NO.
You might try going to the Animal Planet web site and
see if there is anything on dog training.
It always looks so easy when the trainer does it !!