Can I do anything for a broken (or dislocated) toe?

Old November 19th 06, 10:26 PM
Chester's Mom Chester's Mom is offline
Junior Member

Location: Phoenix, AZ
Question Can I do anything for a broken (or dislocated) toe?

I think my Chow/Lab mix, Chester, has a broken toe on his rear left paw. I noticed him limping intermitently about 2 weeks ago. I took him to the vet and he gave Chester some meds (Rimadyl) for pain and inflamation. He didn't seem to be improving much so upon closer examination we found it was his foot, not his leg, knee or hip that was bothering him. Is there anything I can do to treat this before getting him back to the vet?
Thanks!
Old November 20th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Can I do anything for a broken (or dislocated) toe?

"Chester's Mom" wrote in message
I think my Chow/Lab mix, Chester, has a broken toe on his rear left paw.
I noticed him limping intermitently about 2 weeks ago. I took him to
the vet and he gave Chester some meds (Rimadyl) for pain and
inflamation. He didn't seem to be improving much so upon closer
examination we found it was his foot, not his leg, knee or hip that was
bothering him. Is there anything I can do to treat this before getting
him back to the vet?

..........Personally I'd be heading to a different vet if yours did not do
blood tests to determine health of liver and kidneys before administering
Rimadyl. Especially since he/she didn't look very closely at the problem
before throwing meds at it. X-rays would be diagnostic for broken bones.

.......apparently there's more than one way to deal with a broken toe,
including letting it just heal on its own if there's support from other toes
on the paw:
http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dortho.h...air%20of%20toe

.........I'd be getting a second opinion. First you need a diagnosis.

Old December 18th 06, 06:33 PM
Chester's Mom Chester's Mom is offline
Junior Member

Location: Phoenix, AZ
Red face

Thanks for your comments, Buglady.
I guess I wasn't detailed enough about my vet's thoroughness in examining Chester. It seems it's NOT his toe specifically (and he's off the meds) and there isn't a broken bone, either.
Chester runs comfortably although he doesn't put his full weight on the foot when he's standing or walking indoors. Also, he only limps after he's been inactive for a while. Like after a nap. Once he's up and around, he's "stretched out" and seems to be fine.
So the bottom line is he's got a sprain.
Thanks again! Next time I'll give more details.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

Will Rogers, 1897-1935