bowl nosing?

Old November 24th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jennyanniedots

Default bowl nosing?

My dog tends to push his dog bowl around before he eats. He's not
unintentionally pushing it as he digs in; this is intentional,
nose-to-the-side-of-the-bowl pushing which occurs prior to dining.
He'll push it around the room for a little while, and then sometimes
walks away, and sometimes chows down. I'm dying to know what this is
all about! Any thoughts on this behavior?

-jen

Old November 24th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
swilliamson1983

Rupert does the same. His bowl moves half way across the kitchen
before he'll lie down to eat it. Maybe I should just feed him in the
middle of the room.

Old November 24th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 24 Nov 2006 04:37:03 -0800, "swilliamson1983"
, clicked their heels and said:

Rupert does the same. His bowl moves half way across the kitchen
before he'll lie down to eat it. Maybe I should just feed him in the
middle of the room.

2 of my dogs eat in drawers. I built them into the base ("kick" or
"plinth" area), and when the dogs are done eating, the dishes just
slide back out of sight.

Of course then I had to go ahead and get a 3rd dog, so it's not quite
the same impact as it was!

--
Janet Boss
Old November 24th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

2 of my dogs eat in drawers. I built them into the base ("kick" or
"plinth" area), and when the dogs are done eating, the dishes just
slide back out of sight.

I really like that idea. I will remember that when I add a standard poodle
to my family (or when I get my sister's Weimaraner, whatever comes first).
I can put the dog food in a drawer where Maui and Cali can't reach it and
then I don't have to worry about them eating the new dog's food.

Old November 24th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 14:23:13 -0500, "MauiJNP" ,
clicked their heels and said:

I really like that idea. I will remember that when I add a standard poodle
to my family (or when I get my sister's Weimaraner, whatever comes first).
I can put the dog food in a drawer where Maui and Cali can't reach it and
then I don't have to worry about them eating the new dog's food.

???? My dogs are expected to eat all of their food when it's
provided. The bowls are empty when the drawers are pushed in.

--
Janet Boss