OT - dictionary and reference help

Old November 24th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Default OT - dictionary and reference help

Sorry to bother the group with something so completely nothing to do
with dogs, but I've run into a reference question I can't answer myself.
You guys are smart so I thought I'd ask you for help. I'll get to the
library later, but the local one is closed for the long weekend, and I'm
impatient to get started on the answer.

When did the term "date rape" start being used, and has its meaning
changed in the years since it first came into the lexicon?

I graduated highschool in 1976. I'm sure I'd never heard of it before
then. I don't think I'd heard it in college 1976-1980, but I'm not
sure. At some point in the 80s it became a term that everyone I knew
had heard of. Can someone help me pinpoint a year as to when that would
have been? Was there a moment when it would have appeared in newspapers
or court rooms?

And what about a definition? This is sure to be contraversial even now,
but is there a definition of "date rape" that would stand up in court
that's different from the conventional legal definition of "rape"?

--Lia

Old November 24th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Michael A. Ball

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:11:33 -0500, Julia Altshuler

When did the term "date rape" start being used, and has its meaning
changed in the years since it first came into the lexicon?

...And what about a definition? This is sure to be contraversial even now,
but is there a definition of "date rape" that would stand up in court
that's different from the conventional legal definition of "rape"?

Merriam-Webster 11th Collegiate Dictionary
Main Entry: date rape
Function: noun
Date: 1975

: rape committed by the victim's date; broadly : ACQUAINTANCE RAPE

Rape is rape. Adding the descriptor "date" tells us that it was
especially heinous because it betrays the trust of one manipulated to be
particularly vulnerable. The "date" disrupter also adds vast amounts of
subjectivity, interpretations, and headaches.

________________________
Whatever it takes.
Old November 24th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default OT - dictionary and reference help [jerry]

You guys are smart

Yeah. Most of your fellow dog lovers here abHOWETS
got university educations and are EXXXPERT word
weasels {): ~ )

Just because you are both extremely mentally and physically weak,
doesn't mean you have to attack people who WORKED and got a college
education, instead of being a child molesting felon, like yourself -
whatever your real name is.

Old November 25th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Date: 1975

: rape committed by the victim's date; broadly : ACQUAINTANCE RAPE

Rape is rape. Adding the descriptor "date" tells us that it was
especially heinous because it betrays the trust of one manipulated to be
particularly vulnerable. The "date" disrupter also adds vast amounts of
subjectivity, interpretations, and headaches.

Thanks. 1975 is earlier than I expected and puts a whole new light on
things. I also seem to remember a point at which the lines between
"rape" and "sexual experience that wasn't all that was promised" became
blurred.

--Lia

Old November 25th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Julia Altshuler wrote:
Thanks. 1975 is earlier than I expected and puts a whole new light on
things. I also seem to remember a point at which the lines between
"rape" and "sexual experience that wasn't all that was promised" became
blurred.

That looks rather like a "some people" assertion. It's a
sufficiently inflammatory one that perhaps it would help
avoid a conflagration if you'd bother to be specific.

Old November 25th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Melinda Shore wrote:
In article ,
Julia Altshuler wrote:

Thanks. 1975 is earlier than I expected and puts a whole new light on
things. I also seem to remember a point at which the lines between
"rape" and "sexual experience that wasn't all that was promised" became
blurred.

That looks rather like a "some people" assertion. It's a
sufficiently inflammatory one that perhaps it would help
avoid a conflagration if you'd bother to be specific.

You're right, of course. I should have put in the "some people" buffer.

I'm taking a writing class. Writing was something I'd mentioned as a
possibility a while ago on this group. The class is one step towards
doing something about it.

I'm trying to remember or get straight in my mind the way terms
concerning rape and defintions of rape were used in late 70s and early
80s. I know what MY thoughts and definitions were (or do I? I've said
I want help remembering), but I don't want to use a word or idea that
would be an anachronism. I don't want to have 2 characters arguing over
whether something was date rape in 1975 when neither of them would have
heard of the concept until 1985.

--Lia

Old November 25th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Julia Altshuler wrote:
You're right, of course. I should have put in the "some people" buffer.

No, you should get rid of the implied "some people" and be
quite specific about who you think is confused about the
difference between rape and lousy sex. "Some people" is a
smear tool. It obscures rather than illuminates.

I don't think I know anybody who isn't clear on the
difference between unsatisfying sex and rape. Do you? What
leads you to believe that there's confusion about that,
specifically?

Old November 25th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sat, 25 Nov 2006 15:16:39 GMT, Julia Altshuler
wrote:

I'm taking a writing class. Writing was something I'd mentioned as a
possibility a while ago on this group. The class is one step towards
doing something about it.

I'm trying to remember or get straight in my mind the way terms
concerning rape and defintions of rape were used in late 70s and early
80s. I know what MY thoughts and definitions were (or do I? I've
said I want help remembering), but I don't want to use a word or idea
that would be an anachronism. I don't want to have 2 characters
arguing over whether something was date rape in 1975 when neither of
them would have heard of the concept until 1985.

--Lia

I can tell you from personal experience that the term "date rape" at the
very least wasn't well known in the year 1980. Some people who
experienced date rape did not know that term or understand that it was
more than just an individual experience, FWIW.

--
Lynne

"Every once in a while, the tables are turned and we get to share our
lives with an animal who takes care of their human." - Tara, rpdb