is this enough to "save" a dog? (long post)

Old November 26th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.rescue
MauiJNP

Default is this enough to "save" a dog? (long post)

As many of you know, there's a lovely 4 year old Weim named Riley in my
family (though he's not mine and doesn't live here). He lives outside 24/7,
receives very little human attention/contact, and isn't regularly fed or
exercise. A few months ago, he was rehomed only to come back a week later
because the new owners other dog didn't approve of the situation. Anyway,
when I get my own house and can be my own boss when it comes to how many
dogs I have, Riley will be mine. I will attempt to make him an inside dog
(where all dogs belong!) and spoil him with love and care.

Today, it was a very nice day outside so I planned to take my dogs to
the local state park for some fun and exercise. Instead, I decided to take
Riley. I armed myself with treats, a Chuck It and 2 tennis balls and went
off to collect Riley for the day. He hasn't seen me or interacted with me
in weeks so I wasn't sure how the day would progress. He was very excited
as I was trying to unclip him from his tie-out and wouldn't stop trying to
jump on me. I was beginning to think it was a lost cause but refused to
give up and finally he sat still long enough for me to unclip him. It
probably would have been easier if I didn't leave the treats in the car but
I wasn't sure how he'd react so I decided to leave them out of the picture
at first. After a few minutes of off leash running in the yard, I called
him over to me and he came right away. I put him in the back of my CRV and
clipped him with a leash to a loop in the floor so he was somewhat
restrained. I know it wasn't ideal but it worked.

He was a good boy for the 10 minute car ride and when we got to the
park, I let him out. I decided against leashing him and just let him run.
The park is big, no one was around and we were far from any roads (and the
closest one is only very lightly traveled). After another few minutes of
running (while I was getting the treats and ball ready), I called him over
and he came immediately. I gave him a treat and showed him the ball. He
watched me very closely and followed my every move. We walked together
(still no leash) a couple hundred yards to an open field. He stayed with me
the whole time. I threw the ball and he took off. When he did a perfect
retrieve, I told him to sit and gave him a treat. He took it pretty fast
but didn't bite me or anything like that. We kept playing retrieve with the
ball and each time he came back to me, dropped the ball and sat for a treat.
He got the idea pretty quickly that I would reward him for sitting after he
retrieved. I told him to take nice and he complied. He ignored everything
around us and his focus was on me. I have never seen such focus before, not
even in my own dogs! Since everything was going so well, I decided to take
him down to the beach/lake and see what he did in the water. I threw the
ball out a little and he went for it. I threw it out farther each time and
he still got it. When I threw it out very far, where he definately couldn't
stand and would have to swim quite a bit, he went for it immediately! I was
so happy with how well we was responding to me and how much he tolerated my
obsession for fetch. We must have played fetch for 2 hours and I was in dog
heaven!

He was such a good boy and listened so well. I got to see how much he
knew by adding different things to the play (like "down" instead of "sit" or
"catch" a treat instead of "take nice"). He has a good stay but no "wait".
I worked on "wait" with him for a little and he seemed to get it pretty
fast. He is highly food motivated (which I can imagine since he is
definately underweight). He is not aggressive in anyway, shows no signs of
resource guarding. I decided to bring him to my house and see how Maui and
Cali would like him. Cali has never met him but Maui did when he was a
small puppy. Maui used to play so well with Riley that I decided to
introduce them first. I held Maui and let Riley sniff him. Then I held
Riley's collar and let Maui down to sniff Riley. After they were ok, I let
them both off leash. They played for a little bit so well before I took
Maui in to bring out Cali. Cali was scared at first and Riley was trying to
jump on me to get her (not aggressively, just curiously). He listened when
I told him down and then I let him sniff her and then her sniff him. She
was pretty scared even though Riley was being very good so I brought her
inside. Later in the day, I tried again with her and she was so much more
calm that they ended up playing. Riley plays so well with them that I had
no reservations of letting them all play outside together (I stayed out with
them just in case).

The day was a blast overall. I am so excited about owning Riley some
day and today left me feeling like it will all work out when I do get him
for good. Not that everything will be perfect or anything like that, but it
will be workable. And hopefully when the time comes, the biggest problem
will be that Riley isn't housebroken and use to living indoors so there will
be quite an adjustment there. I am just glad that he responds to me and
that we have a start of a trusting relationship. I plan to take him to the
park again and try to spend more time with him. It will be several months
to a year before I will have my own place and can give Riley a home. I was
just wondering if the time I spent with him now is going to be enough to
"save" him until I can get him out of that situation for good? I hate to
think that by the time I can rescue him, his spirit will be broken beyond
repair. What else can I do while with him to keep the relationship working?
Am I doing something wrong by removing him from that situation if only for a
day and then having to go back to it. Is it confusing him? Did I do
something wrong in how I handled things today? Any advice/help/comments
appreciated.

--
~~~~~~
Jenny, Maui and Cali

Old November 26th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.rescue
MauiJNP

and spoil him with love and care.

Spoil him with exercise and training & you'll both be better off!

yes, that's the plan. part of my love and care includes exercise and
training

Sounds like the two of you had a great day.

we really did!

Old November 26th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.rescue
Lynne

on Sun, 26 Nov 2006 00:44:37 GMT, "MauiJNP" wrote:

Any advice/help/comments appreciated.

As you know, I'm no trainer or behaviorist (HA!), but it seems to me that
if Riley continues on as he is and doesn't have any _negative_ experiences
with humans that he will always respond to your attention the way he did
today. It seems logical to me, but it's just a guess on my part.

It sounds like a great day was had by all!

--
Lynne

"Every once in a while, the tables are turned and we get to share our lives
with an animal who takes care of their human." - Tara, rpdb
Old November 26th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.rescue
Rocky

"MauiJNP" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Any advice/help/comments
appreciated.

I think that you've done well.

Heh, now it's time for an overnight.

Old November 26th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.rescue
MauiJNP

Any advice/help/comments
appreciated.

I think that you've done well.

thanks, I consider that a great compliment coming from you.

Heh, now it's time for an overnight.

I wish because I know Riley's life isn't going to get any better if he stays
where he is (his owners are now expecting baby number 4).

Old November 26th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.rescue
pfoley

"MauiJNP" wrote in message

[...]

==============
That is a great story you told. Why can't you take him now instead of
waiting to purchase your own home?
The sooner the better.
If that is impossible; then I would keep doing what you did today as often
as possible, giving the dog something to look forward to, instead of his hum
drum boring existance that he leads now. Bring food and water for him
when you see him. If he lives in a cold area, you could buy him a coat or
sweater and make his living conditions more comfortable and warm with straw,
old blankets and quilts. The more often he can get out to the park and
socialize with your dogs, the better off he will be.
Keep up the good work with Riley.

Old November 27th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.rescue
MauiJNP

That is a great story you told. Why can't you take him now instead of
waiting to purchase your own home?

I live with my parents right now, which unfortunately means I have to listen
to them when it comes to how many dogs I have. They won't even budge and
let me have him as an outside dog (where at least he'd be a little better
off because I'd feed & exercise him regularly as well as get him proper vet
care).

The sooner the better.

I started talking to my brother (who has his own house) about possibly
taking Riley. I showed him the pictures of how skinny he is and he got so
mad! He's ready to go steal him right now. We agreed that wasn't best and
will be talking to Riley's owners about letting my brother have him. The
owners are going away in December so if all else fails, my brother will
agree to babysit and hopefully the owners won't ever pick Riley back up.

If that is impossible; then I would keep doing what you did today as often
as possible, giving the dog something to look forward to, instead of his
hum
drum boring existance that he leads now. Bring food and water for him
when you see him. If he lives in a cold area, you could buy him a coat or
sweater and make his living conditions more comfortable and warm with
straw,
old blankets and quilts. The more often he can get out to the park and
socialize with your dogs, the better off he will be.

all good ideas, thanks.

Keep up the good work with Riley.

thanks, I plan to take him back to the park tomorrow if it is nice weather
(which it is supposed to be). He really is a great dog and deserves so much
better.

Old November 28th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.rescue
Elizabeth B Naime

Yes.

Just an opinion, but it seems he's well on the way to a better life,
even if he is taking it in installments. :-)
--------------------------------------
If you really need to email me, mow the lawn.
Old November 28th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.rescue
MauiJNP

Yes.

Just an opinion, but it seems he's well on the way to a better life,
even if he is taking it in installments. :-)

Thanks for the encouragement.

I did end up taking Riley back to the park today for 2 hours. This time I
took my 6 year old nephew and Maui along. Everyone had a blast. When I
first picked Riley up, he looked so happy to see me. He sat right away and
let me take his clip off. He didn't try to jump on me and went right to the
car when told. When we got to the park, it was empty so I let Riley & Maui
off leash. They played well together. Maui chased Riley as Riley retrieved
the ball. Maui has been getting hand fed for the past 2 days and no treats
(even kibble at reward/training times). I could really see a difference in
his behavior (paying more attention to me) and wondering if those 2 things
are related. He was keeping his eyes on me and staying with me or close by.
Every so often, he'd come back just to check in and if I said "come" he did
it in a hurry! After a while, I decided to treat him with some peices of
"pupcorn". I kept them small and he only eat about half of one the whole
time. After dropping Riley at home (and feeding him), I came back to my
house and Maui was so tired, he slept for 2 hours! I can't wait to do it
all again (probably Friday since I have off of work).

Old November 28th 06, 07:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.rescue
Tara

"MauiJNP" wrote in
:

I did end up taking Riley back to the park today for 2 hours.
snip I can't wait to do it all again (probably Friday since I
have off of work).

Ok, this just put a HUGE grin on my face.

Tara