Ping: Matt

Old November 27th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

Default Ping: Matt

montana wildhack said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Do you have one water dish for all your charges?

I have a few stainless steel water dishes spread around that
all the dogs share.

Are there ever problems with that?

Healthwise, never a problem - I have a ton of SS bowls and
they get changed out often. Sharingwise, never a problem, I
don't put up with guarding concerns and all the regular dogs
know that.

Does it make any difference when
you have a new dog join your group?

Nope, I'm the "Dog Shouter [tm]". Dogs quickly learn through
"voice distraction" what is not appropriate behaviour in my
house.

What's your process for adding a new client dog?

First is the interview on an evening or during a weekend when
it's relatively peaceful around here. They come over, the dog
sniffs my yard and I get friendly with him while chatting with
the owners.

Next, depending on the dog, I bring either Friday or Rocky out
to greet them - usually Friday, because Rocky will often
ignore the dog to meet the new human, and some dogs take issue
with this. Friday has his foibles, too - goofy young nekkid
dogs wear out his patience quickly.

Next, new dog and humans go inside where the dog is allowed to
wander while Friday is in a down. Shortly, I release Friday
and allow limited play. I rarely have both of my dogs out for
the meet'n'greet, two on one can make the new dog
uncomfortable.

The first day the dog comes, I usually babygate him in a
separate room so that he can meet the others through a
barrier; later, I put one of mine in the room with him and,
later still, the other, and then maybe another client dog.
There are lots of open crates where an uncomfortable dog can
retreat if at all overwhelmed.

I don't take many dogs, so it's usually not too overwhelming
for a new guy, plus most of the dogs are regulars and are
fairly secure and not nervous of newbies.

Old November 27th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

montana wildhack wrote:
I haven't been letting the girls drink from the water bowl together
yet. Bella used to share it with Doodle all the time, but it's been a
while and I thought it better to make them take turns, but maybe I'm
being too sensitive about it.

FWIW, we add dogs all the time around here, temporary or otherwise
(temporary more often than permanent, thankfully). We've never tried
to prevent them from sharing water bowls and never had a problem over
water bowl sharing. Apparently dogs don't know how important water is
and don't view it as a valuable resource.

Mustang Sally

Old November 27th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article .com,
sighthounds & siberians wrote:
Apparently dogs don't know how important water is
and don't view it as a valuable resource.

I have several big bowls in the kitchen and it's not
uncommon to see two or three dogs drinking out of the same
one at once. Emmett's the exception - he can be kind of
turfy about water.

Old November 27th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Mon, 27 Nov 2006 22:00:39 GMT, "sighthounds & siberians"
wrote:

Apparently dogs don't know how important water is
and don't view it as a valuable resource.

I would make that "some dogs." Briar wouldn't let Roxy anywhere near the
water bowl when they were last together. Since my cats also drink out of
the communal bowls, this is a concern.

--
Lynne
Old November 27th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

"sighthounds & siberians" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Apparently dogs don't know how important water is
and don't view it as a valuable resource.

I've only had one incident--a growl--when a dog horned in on
another dog at the water bowl. I can't remember which client
dog did the growling because it never reoccurred (after a well-
timed "knock it off" by the local Dog Shouter).

Old November 27th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Mon, 27 Nov 2006 22:12:16 GMT, Rocky wrote:

Dog Shouter

I'd buy that book.

--
Lynne
Old November 27th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 27 Nov 2006 14:00:39 -0800, "sighthounds & siberians"
, clicked their heels and said:

FWIW, we add dogs all the time around here, temporary or otherwise
(temporary more often than permanent, thankfully). We've never tried
to prevent them from sharing water bowls and never had a problem over
water bowl sharing. Apparently dogs don't know how important water is
and don't view it as a valuable resource.

but some think sharing is yucky! Lucy will share with "her" 2 dogs
and cats, but out in public? Like flyball practice or a tournament?
ewwww - saliva!

I've had water bowl sharing issues here either, with many guest or
temporary or new dogs. The ONLY time I did, was at a park. I had
poured a bowl of water for my Golden. he drank some and then was off
playing. A new dog in the park, a young Malamute bitch, came to get a
drink, and I had no objection. When my Golden came to get another
drink, the Mal attacked him. Bitch. She was very emphatically told
(by humans) that this was NOT acceptable. After that, she would see
my dog in the park, and slide down the hill on her belly, and roll
over when she got to him. I guess she decided that my power did
indeed extend to him (of course, I was present as well). Still, I
switched to a bottle for water (he looked like a baby goat drinking
from it) so it would stay clean and avoid issues.
..
--
Janet Boss
Old November 27th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:14:39 -0600, Lynne
, clicked their heels and said:

Dog Shouter

I'd buy that book.

Heh - I don't need to - I'm a pretty good dog shouter myself. OTOH,
someone who used to post here called me the Dog Whisperer, before CM
hit the airwaves. Can I sue him for copyright infringement?

--
Janet Boss
Old November 28th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Mon, 27 Nov 2006 23:52:34 GMT, "Suja" wrote:

I very rarely see my dogs try to get a drink while someone else is at
it, and vice versa. Standard procedure is to wait until the other dog
is done before going for it. I suppose their heads are big enough
that it would have to be a really small dog that can fit their head in
there at the same time anyway. I have known a couple of dogs at the
dog park that would resource guard the water bowl, and nothing else.

Roxy shares with everyone, dogs and cats.

http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the...it/Dogs/photo#
5002222525792059410

--
Lynne

Ping Matt Manadero Dog behavior 6 January 27th 05 03:43 PM
Ping Matt again Rocky Dog behavior 5 September 4th 04 05:10 AM