A dog & canine forum. DogBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DogBanter forum » Dog forums » Dog health
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Pet Insurance ? Cruciate Ligament Injuries



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 27th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buzzsaw
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14
Default Pet Insurance ? Cruciate Ligament Injuries

Ok, well Max came in from the outside the other day with a rear leg in
the air. He was just out for a little potty break (maybe 10 - 15
minutes). I checked his pad for any foreign objects and found none.
I figure he will shake it off and maybe he just sprained it.

The next day he was still limping and I thought - nuts! Turns out he
has a partial tear in his cruciate ligament. He screamed in pain when
the vet streched his knee and had to be muzzled for the rest of the
exam. I got some Rimadyl supply for 2 weeks and told to start giving
him glucosaminel / chrondroritin daily. And after two weeks decide if
I wanted the surgery, I was told this will only get worse and surgery
is necessary. Well, my heart sunk. This is a VERY active dog like my

last one, and he blew out both legs during his adult life. I cannot
see Max inmobile for weeks after the surgery, and then afraid it will
happen again! Right now he is miserable as I am taking him out on a
leash everyday - it is like he is at a kennel or apartment not being
able to use the yard, it will be worse after the surgery! Well, one
week later he is somewhat better, he asks normal outside like nothing
is wrong, but you can tell he doesnt put too much weight on it indoors.

If he continues to take the Rimadyl he will need consistant blood work

for liver complications and it will not fix the condition - according
to the vet.


So I have to do "something".


Well, it is benefit enrollment time at work, and we get a discount on
VPI petinsurance through Metlife. My girlfriend's daughter works at
the vet and has Max registered as her pet and gets good discounts on
routine exams and such. She would get the surgery at about 1/2 price,
instead of the charge of $1200 - $1300, she would (I mean me) pay $600
to $700. Which is cool. But it seems this pet insurance would be
better - but I have read plenty of stories of denied claims based on
pre-existing conditions, genetics, etc.


For about $24 a month (superior plan), they would pay up to 90% of the
claim (up to $1200) and for the $12 a month (standard plan) they would
pay up to 90% of the claim (up to $725), if the cruciate ligament was
covered (it is on their benefit chart) - after a $50 deductiable. Of
course, I would have to take Max to a new vet so this would be a "new"
incident and no pre exisiting condition. I just wonder if this would
work? And should I do the insurance in case this happens again so it
would not be pre-existing. Or just take the daughter's discount and
take my chances?!?


This is a tough call that I have to make quickly - a) max needs help,
b) insurance wouldn't kick in until first of the year if I registered
today, c) I dont know how long max can go in this current "state".


Only thing Max has on his record is a broken fibual which he got when
at leader dog for the blind (which is the other leg and should have
nothing to do with Cruciate ligament even if it was the same leg I am
guessing). He is up to date on all this shots.


Any advice on the surgery and non-surgical options / opinions would be
appreciate as well as advice and experience with pet insurance
(specifically VPI) when it comes to this dog !

  #2  
Old November 28th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Gary G
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 31
Default Pet Insurance ? Cruciate Ligament Injuries

Canine insurance is not worth a damn...I carried pet insurance for 7 years
(over $100 per month)...The first time I used it I was turned down on much
of the bill...For example...At the time my girl needed on-going blood test
to monitor things...She had an awful auto-immune disease...VPI said they
would only pay the first two tests...This was just one of many similar
issues...So in anger I canceled and went to another major provider...My male
needed an abscess drained which they did pay 80%...But when it was needed
again 4 months later I was told it was now considered a pre-existing
condition and was not eligible for coverage for six months after the first
procedure...BS...But it is in there fine print...I remember when I first got
involved someone on this list said she saved the monthly cost herself and
when she needed care the money was there...I felt insurance in a major
crisis was worth the cost...The major issue is that canine insurance is very
different from human and unless you are aware of the differences you have no
idea...You probably won't be allowed to cover any current condition
anyway...As I said I was a believer...It's bogus and not worth your
money...Just one dissatisfied user...Maybe someone has something positive to
say?...GG
"buzzsaw" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok, well Max came in from the outside the other day with a rear leg in
the air. He was just out for a little potty break (maybe 10 - 15
minutes). I checked his pad for any foreign objects and found none.
I figure he will shake it off and maybe he just sprained it.

The next day he was still limping and I thought - nuts! Turns out he
has a partial tear in his cruciate ligament. He screamed in pain when
the vet streched his knee and had to be muzzled for the rest of the
exam. I got some Rimadyl supply for 2 weeks and told to start giving
him glucosaminel / chrondroritin daily. And after two weeks decide if
I wanted the surgery, I was told this will only get worse and surgery
is necessary. Well, my heart sunk. This is a VERY active dog like my

last one, and he blew out both legs during his adult life. I cannot
see Max inmobile for weeks after the surgery, and then afraid it will
happen again! Right now he is miserable as I am taking him out on a
leash everyday - it is like he is at a kennel or apartment not being
able to use the yard, it will be worse after the surgery! Well, one
week later he is somewhat better, he asks normal outside like nothing
is wrong, but you can tell he doesnt put too much weight on it indoors.

If he continues to take the Rimadyl he will need consistant blood work

for liver complications and it will not fix the condition - according
to the vet.


So I have to do "something".


Well, it is benefit enrollment time at work, and we get a discount on
VPI petinsurance through Metlife. My girlfriend's daughter works at
the vet and has Max registered as her pet and gets good discounts on
routine exams and such. She would get the surgery at about 1/2 price,
instead of the charge of $1200 - $1300, she would (I mean me) pay $600
to $700. Which is cool. But it seems this pet insurance would be
better - but I have read plenty of stories of denied claims based on
pre-existing conditions, genetics, etc.


For about $24 a month (superior plan), they would pay up to 90% of the
claim (up to $1200) and for the $12 a month (standard plan) they would
pay up to 90% of the claim (up to $725), if the cruciate ligament was
covered (it is on their benefit chart) - after a $50 deductiable. Of
course, I would have to take Max to a new vet so this would be a "new"
incident and no pre exisiting condition. I just wonder if this would
work? And should I do the insurance in case this happens again so it
would not be pre-existing. Or just take the daughter's discount and
take my chances?!?


This is a tough call that I have to make quickly - a) max needs help,
b) insurance wouldn't kick in until first of the year if I registered
today, c) I dont know how long max can go in this current "state".


Only thing Max has on his record is a broken fibual which he got when
at leader dog for the blind (which is the other leg and should have
nothing to do with Cruciate ligament even if it was the same leg I am
guessing). He is up to date on all this shots.


Any advice on the surgery and non-surgical options / opinions would be
appreciate as well as advice and experience with pet insurance
(specifically VPI) when it comes to this dog !



  #3  
Old November 28th 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,678
Default Pet Insurance ? Cruciate Ligament Injuries

"Gary G" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

I remember when I first got
involved someone on this list said she saved the monthly
cost herself and when she needed care the money was there.


I use the credit card method. I use direct debit for almost
everything; so, on the two credit cards I have, there's plenty
of room for emergencies.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
  #4  
Old December 1st 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 664
Default Pet Insurance ? Cruciate Ligament Injuries

Any advice on the surgery and non-surgical options / opinions would be
appreciate as well as advice and experience with pet insurance
(specifically VPI) when it comes to this dog !


These tears generally don't heal on their own. Surgery is usually the only
permanent option. The problem with leaving it is you end up medicating to
handle inflammation which stresses organs. It's fine for the short term, but
not long term in a young dog with alternatives. Worse though, is the fact
that the dog will start to depend more on the opposite healthy leg and
eventually blow that as well.


  #5  
Old December 14th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.activities,alt.pets.dogs.labrador
Bigjoe
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 133
Default Pet Insurance ? Cruciate Ligament Injuries

a écrit dans le message de
ups.com...
HOWEDY sharon aka sharon too,

This will introduce you to the new dog lovers:

Subject: EMERGENCY!! What to do with baby Possum?
From: Sharon
Date: Tues, May 16 2006 10:30 pm
Email: "Sharon"
Groups: alt.med.veterinary, rec.animals.wildlife, rec.pets

My cat brought in a baby possum tonight.

My question is, should I just release it into the woods behind
my house tonight? I don't know if it will be okay, or if it still
needs its parents.

I could certainly feed it for a few days if necessary, but I'm
just not sure what would be best (or if it would even accept food
from me while in captivity).


Don't touch wildlife at all. They carry parasites
cut



+++ the worst amongst these all is named J.r.y. Wizowowow...






 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
latest on pet health insurance Laura Bennett Dog health 6 June 1st 05 06:31 PM
Ruptured Cruciate Ligament Mona Dog health 3 March 16th 05 12:36 AM
Cancelled Homeowners Insurance RIBuck97 Dog behavior 0 December 12th 03 03:01 PM
Insurance after a dog bite bigdaddy Dog behavior 15 September 23rd 03 06:35 AM
Anterior Cruciate Ligament Surgery Deb Dog health 15 September 20th 03 10:49 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.2.0 (Unregistered)
Copyright ©2004-2019 DogBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.